"Periods" during pregnancy?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2006, 12:28 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ladies. I was curious to know how many of you all are having or have had a "period" while you are/were pregnant?

I'm on the BCP (yasmin) and unfortunatly did not take it exactly as planned. My bf & I also had sex many times around when I'm assuming I would ovulate. About a week before AF was due i had all sorts of mild cramping that lasted about 3 days, and I never have cramps. Also, I woke up one morning feeling horribly naseous and threw up (although i'm assuming that isn't m/s b/c it would be so early)

At any rate, I took an early pregnancy test, which came up negative, but now I realize I took it like six days before my period was due, so that doesn't really count for much anyhow.

I got my period this afternoon, but it's not like any other period I typically get. It's incredibly light, where I hardly need a tampon, as well as (look out. . . TMI coming up!) it's totally brown, like old blood or something.

I was hoping to get some responses on the ewwy details of a 'period' while pregnant from any of you who have experienced this, or know any info.

Thank you ladies!

March 3rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
nat81
Take another test... that's all I can say!

Good luck and keep us posted.
March 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would take another pregnancy test.....but bleeding when you first get pregnant is not uncommon.

From Marjorie Greenfield, M.D. on drspock.com:

Many women report getting what seem like regular periods during early pregnancy. How can this be? First of all, it helps to realize that since the hormones of pregnancy totally prevent ovulation, the bleeding is not truly a menstrual period, but rather early pregnancy bleeding. That said, the perception of having a menstrual period (or more than one) in early pregnancy can confuse the due date and delay some pregnant women from seeking appropriate and timely medical care.

Implantation bleeding
Many mothers-to-be get a few days of bleeding right around the time that the early embryo is burrowing into the wall of the uterus. On average, this occurs five days after conception and may be confused with an early period, especially if the woman is not keeping close track of her cycles.

This implantation bleeding is normal and is not a sign of any problem with the pregnancy. The biggest problem with implantation bleeding is that it can lead to a mistakenly later due date if it is counted as a menstrual period. The real last period from which the due date should be calculated would be the prior one.

Conceiving while using birth control pills
Women who get pregnant while on the Pill might have intermittent bleeding before it is obvious that they are pregnant and they stop taking their pills. The calculation of the due date based on these episodes will most likely be inaccurate, so ultrasound is almost always needed to date a pregnancy in this situation.

Early pregnancy bleeding
Bleeding in early pregnancy is a common occurrence, but this does not signal a true menstrual cycle, as pregnancy hormones prevent the ovary's release of an egg as well as the buildup and subsequent shedding of the uterine lining. If these episodes are intermittent, they can be perceived as periods, and the mother-to-be may not recognize that she is pregnant. In instances where a couple is unaware that they are expecting, it can be particularly emotionally challenging to find out about the pregnancy at the same time they are told that the bleeding might signal a problem.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
March 3rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, thank you. That was great information. I'm gonna ride out today and see if I find any more information, and monitor what's going on (ha) and then probably take a test tomorrow morning. I will surely keep you guys updated. thanks!

March 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow, thank you. That was great information. I'm gonna ride out today and see if I find any more information, and monitor what's going on (ha) and then probably take a test tomorrow morning. I will surely keep you guys updated. thanks![/b]

wish u the best of luck dont forget to tell us the results!!!

March 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Maren
Hi LadyCoconut i used to be on Yasmin as well lol didnt work the best for me well not sure if this will help you or not but its worth a shot. i had my yearly physical like a week after i missed my first period i had like abrownish discharge and my doctor told me that the dischargish stuff was because i didnt get my "real" period and that its pretty common to miss a period while on the pill but not to miss two in a row while on the pill. She told me that if i missed a second one to test and if it was positive to stop taking pills and start my prenatal visits, and if it was negative to keep taking the pills but to make an appointment so they could check everything out. I would take another test as soon as you can if you want or if you have patience wait it out like i did to see if you get your next period

Visit my blog to find out how you can earn amazon gift cards
As well as just updates from me on everything!
http://lifeasmaren.blogspot.com/

March 7th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Well I HAVE heard stories of women who actually got their period part of the time/the entire time they were pregnant. But these are all really REALLY Rare cases. Generally if you get your period, then you're probably NOT pregnant.

Just the same - take another test. It'll probably ease your worries.

If you want, buy two tests. Get one of those super-cheapo storebrand ones that only cost like $4. and take it next week They're less sensitive so if they come up positive then you most definitely ARE pregnant. A week or so after your period's due date, if you take one of these & are preggo they come up positive.

That way you aren't wasting a ton of money on two expensive tests, but you can test again in a week for double-reassurance.

March 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Regular
Sometimes on the first day of your period, it will be pretty light. And also, the brownish discharge you are seeing could just be old blood leaving your body from your previous period. In any case, take another test... but don't stress yourself out, because I know firsthand how stress can greatly affect your cycle!! Good luck to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search