Prenatal Care-- Without Health Insurance

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Regular
My main worry right now is prenatal care. I *just* started a new job last week and I will not have insurance through them or 6 months!! They have awesome insurance, but I am not eligible for 6 months. What to do until then? I have private, individual health insurance, but it doesn't cover any pregnancy related conditions! I have found a pregnancy center in the city where I live and they will provide a limited ultrasound, counseling, classes, and help with finding doctors and stuff.

This center is wonderful. The woman I talked with on the phone today was so nice to me that I almost cried. She was so kind. I guess I have been feeling alone and scared and she just comforted me in a way that I didn't know was possible. She set me up with an ultrasound this Thursday. I cannot wait to go. I have no idea how far along I am (although I am guessing anywhere between 9-15 weeks, which is a big gap I guess). Hopefully, they will help me find some kind of low-cost prenatal care.

I don't qualify for any kind of WIC, Medicaid, or Healthy Start programs. My income is a few hundred dollars OVER their qualifying rates. So I am trying to find other options. I live in Ohio, if anyone knows of any state-specific programs/centers....

March 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Regular
Quote:
have you tried applying for state aide? actually applied?

i only ask because normally if you have no available INS. you can get it....

shoot, i have INS through my DH although its crappy, he makes decent money and i still got medicaid... and WIC has more strict income limits than medicaid does, i know that because we dont technically qualify for WIC but being on medicaid give us a free pass.... and i have a friend whose DH makes even more than my DH and she is on it too...[/b]
hmmmm....I *was* suprised to see that I didn't qualify for Medicaid. I mean, I don't earn THAT much and it's just me (no two incomes!!) So, maybe I will have to actually APPLY for it to see. I will ask the pregnancy center about this on Thursday. The Medicaid website was SOOOO confusing!

March 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
did you take any check stubs that had overtime on them.. That counts against you.. I found out the hard way on that one... If so you can always reapply.. just try and do it when you haven't had so many hours and have low paychecks
March 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM
MJONES's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, I am from Ohio. If you are pregnant and can show proof w/out insurance you should qualify for medicaid. Did you actually apply or did they just give you figures? Can you cut back a few hours just to get on? also do you have a major hospital nearby that does prenatal care by your income? If you are near the Dayton area, I could tell you what hospital to go to. PM me if you need to.

Ethan Hunter, Ava Madison, Achilles Ryan

Sept 2, 2006

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search