Starting a new job and 7 weeks pregnant - need advice

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone,

After looking for a new job for over a year, I just accepted a job offer for an amazing career opportunity. I have always been very career oriented and I love working. However, I am 7 weeks pregnant and I haven't told them yet. I figured there is no point to since I am still in my first trimester and I am a firm believer in waiting until 12 weeks to spill the news to everyone (even my family).

This position is administrative but also very demanding, requires lots of event planning and coordination, and will require slight travel. My employer hired me because I am professional, energetic, and will be a great representative for the company. I don't think my pregnancy will affect my performance whatsoever, but I am concerned that my employer will be disappointed in the fact that i am pregnant because they have such amazing and challenging plans lined up for me and they might not be excited about the pregnancy. I feel like I will let them down, and I know this sounds terrible, but its like they hired a particular person for the and then I will have to tell them that need leave time after a few weeks of working there... I don't think that looks good. I am really excited about my pregnancy, it's totally a blessing.. but feels like the wrong time.

I was hoping if any of you ladies were ever in the same boat as me and if you have any advice? How did you deal with something like this affecting your career? I appreciate it if you could share any of your experiences with me.

Thanks.
November 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
hi just lurking here but I do know that they can not let you go just because you are pregnant. So therefore keep the job and go for it. There is no reason you can not do the same job you were doing before. Although travel will be hindered further along in pregnancy it does not mean you can not do an amazing job.

November 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree they can't terminate you because you are pregnant.

Good Luck with the new job!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

November 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks ladies

I totally agree that me being pregnant will not affect my performance... I guess I am just worried that I am new to the company and being pregnant early on they may not think i am serious about the job. Plus, the fact that I will need leave time and not even been there for a year really worries me.

I wish being a woman wasn't so difficult. Men never have to worry about stuff like this!
November 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
laurabelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have a slightly similiar problem. i have been doing contract work (means i am not technically "on staff") for a church since June. it has been there intention to hire me on to the staff position the entire time, but bc of the economy and how slowly churches tend to do things, it just hasnt happened. i got pregnant in september, unexpectedly, and i still havent told them.
what i AM doing is to make ure i communicate via email what timeframe they intend to hire me within and what kind of benefits i will receive so that i have this all in writing. everyone is correct, they CAN NOT fire you for being pregnant, but that doesnt meant they cant "find" another reason.
i guess im just slightly moe paramoid bc im not married, and hi, its a church, but im sure you will be just fine. dont give them a reason to find any fault and you will be ok.
November 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I was in this situation... in March, I was hired to replace 2 employees that were going on maternity leave in a few months. I didn't know I was pregnant though, and told my boss in mid-May, when I was about 12 weeks along. By that time, I had proved that I could still do my job and was good at it; even though I offered to voluntarily leave, my boss said I could stay and would welcome me back after my 1-year leave.

What really helped is that my department has had 6 pregnancies in the last 2 years (2 men who worked there, their wives got pregnant) so to them, it was just a really funny situation. By the time I went on maternity leave, 3 other girls in different departments were pregnant as well so my company actually deals with a lot of pregnancies!

Tell them when you're ready to... I'm sure they'll understand things happen that's beyond your control. Good luck with everything!
November 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe when you do finally tell them.. assure them that you completely love your job and you're so glad that you'll have this wonderful job to return to. Perhaps knowing that you like your job and that you plan on returning will reassure them that you're serious about it and have made the commitment to them . Just a thought.

And no, they can't terminate you on the grounds of your pregnancy. I would wait to tell them until you have to though.
November 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
shadesofsorrow
Well the not being able to terminate you because your pregnant depends on what type of job you have.If you are considered a liablility to thier insurance, yes they can let you go.I'm a dancer/model and most places will let you go as soon as they find out.During my last pregnancy the club where I worked for 5 years let me go as soon as they found out at 10 weeks.I went to another club and kept it quiet for as long as I could which was only a few weeks as some of the girls from the other club followed me over.They let me work until I was 7 months and then let me go.
Not every job has the same rules so you should look into it but it sounds like you'd be ok.Be aware that dancers,models,actresses,constrution workers,drivers,pilots,and pretty much anyone considered an independant contractor falls under different rules and laws.

Tags
career , pregnant

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search