What's your game plan?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey all,
I was just wondering what everyone's "game plan" was for when you go into labor? Like, what happens if you're not at home, or what happens if you're alone when it happens, ect?
I'm asking because my b/f works 12 hour shifts 4 days in a row...He doesn't drive to work, he takes the bus. So I'm pretty scared of it happening while he's at work! I mean, I'll call him, then what? He buses it back home to come get me? What if I'm not even at home when it happens? He's LOST when it comes to directions...so how is going to know which bus to take to get to me?? Not only does he take the bus, but it's like an HOUR bus ride, so I'll be waiting long! Yikes! I'm so scared to be alone when it happens, yet I refuse to make ppl stay with me just to keep me company...for one, they all have lives, and jobs that they can't just put on hold for me! hehe. Then there's the DREADED question: because he works long shifts, (and keep in mind he's the biggest wuss when it comes to getting his sleep), what if it happens right at the end of one of his shifts, and he's "too tired" to be any use to me? Of course he'll still be there and whatever, but when he's tired, he turns into the hissiest little 15 year old hormonal teenager you've ever seen! So if he's doing something that's not helping or whatever (like a really rough and painful back rub, or if his "encouraging words" aren't helping me and I just want quiet), he'll get all biotchy with me, I know it. He does it all the time now, and as much as he denies it, I don't see it being different while I'm in labor. I could actually see him telling me that he's going to go lay down for a nap for a while if he's getting a little tired! EEEEK! What will I do if he even remotely pisses me off while I'm in the middle of giving birth!!!?? I'll kill him! Does anyone else have these fears? and again, what is everyone else's game plan for when you into labor?
April 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
You should put some money away for a cab!! Then he could just meet you at the hospital, instead of you having to wait for him to pick you up.

Maybe you could have someone be designated to pick him up for work.

I'll be living at home with my parents, so if I go into labor, one of them will probably be close enough to take me to the hospital pretty fast.

I've already started to pack my hospital bag, even though I have at least a month to go, hopefully longer. It's just nice to have the reassurance. Last time I got stuck in the hospital with nothing I needed, and since they wouldn't transfer me from ICU to L&D they couldn't give me anything (like a tooth brush, hair brush, etc)

April 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I am still working on my game plan..........

Ryan works out of town four days a week, staying at his aunt's house during that time.
There is no point to having him commute back and forth because his shifts are 2 14-hours and 2 16-hours.
We live 1.5 hours away and I would feel uncomfortable with him driving back and forth daily; we save gas money this way too......

Because I was in full-time university all of last year and up until we conceived, I am not taking any maternity leave.
Therefore, Ryan can take paternal leave and will be staying home for up to 3 months after Junebug's birth...
We are trying to see if he can start this a few days before the due date and that way he will be home......

I have a family up the road (my former apartment managers) who will pick Alex up from school if I happen to go in to labour during the day while he is in class.
They will keep him until my parents are finished work.

Junebug's hospital bag is packed and mine is started but not finished yet.
April 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im not too worried because i always have someone around which are my mom and my grandma..my mom even said she wasnt going on any long trips in june just incase.. i have also decided im not going anywheres in june and im just gonna stay home.. as for my boyfriend all i could do is hope i go into labor during the day because its the easiest to get ahold of him because hes at work so i could just call him...if i go into labor at night my mom already told me that she would drive to his house and knock at the window to get him...i swear if he doesnt wake up or its really hard for me to get ahold of him ill never forgive him and he'll get holy hell from me!

April 11th, 2006, 05:42 PM
nat81
Good question!

You know my fiance used to take the Go Train to work at the CN Tower and I thought for sure it would happen when he was there and wouldn't make it back in time... but Nicole decided she was comfy and was 10 days late! My fiance had taken a few days off around my induction date so he was home anyway!
April 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM
ashley *'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no plan..but I also have a while to come up with one.

My plan is next year to be home-bound for the school year (that's where the teachers come to YOU, great deal huh?) I haven't looked into it yet, and considering my school's counselors it should be a trip, but it's still MY plan So, if I go into labor, say 6 AM - 3:30 PM I'm pretty much screwed, because my mom would be at work. I'm sure I could find somebody to take me, though. And as far as contacting "D"BF, I could care less right now. God he gets on my last friggin nerve. LOL sorry. Maybe I'll just go into labor on a Saturday. hehe
April 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You know....adrenaline will be pumping through your bf so he just might come through it ok with you. I wouldn't worry too much about that part. Besides, even if he does act like an a.s.s....the thing is...it's still comforting to know that he's even there with you.

LOL...throw your shoe...I loved that one!

The advice given about the cabs, a doula, and a neighbor or friend to drive you are all great ideas.

I don't have a game plan and I'm worried about it. I was shocked to read that Junebug has her bags packed...lol...I haven't even thought about that yet...and we're due around the same time. Sheesh, she's so much more organized than I am.

My biggest fear is going into labor at work. I can't afford to take too much time off so if I go early, I'll be stuck at work and won't be able to drive myself. The hospital is about an hour and a half from here....and who would I get to drive me? I'm sure a co-worker will...but I hate to ask that from anyone.

And if I'm home....well the hospital is an hour away...I sure don't want to have this baby in the car! Good thing dh is not planning on doing anything or going any where around my due date...but if I come early, we're screwed.

oh..and LOL...it seems like dh's/so's always piss you off during birth ("look what youve done to me")!

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
April 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
irishxrose
I'm not too worried because I live with my parents, and they're relatively easy to get a hold of. I am worried about Jason getting there in time though because he works weekends twelve hour shifts for a security company, and the sites are across town from where we live. Plus he has to wait until his supervisor can come relieve him. I'm really worried that I'm going to go into labor while he's working, and then it's going to take him forever to get down to the hospital.
April 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
asianmama
my game plan will probably changed in the next 7 or 8 months.. but as of right now game plan is

if i am home---mom will watch ashlyn dad will take me to the hospital... hopefully traffic isnt bad cuz i ahve to go across town cuz my doc isnt allowed to go to the two closets hoptials...stupid doctor right thingy.

if i am home with only ashlyn call my bestest friend to take me or hubby...he works like 15 minutes away so i guess he could rush home..

if i am at work call hubby---he works days i dont..so its good. probably would have to take ashlyn with us and hope his aunt or mom could met up and watch ashlyn during the process..

now if we move to a small hick town i dont know what i am gonna do... all of hubbys family is there so i know i would have a ride but i have heard horor stories from that hospital...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search