morning sickness

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Larkin121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies,
Thank you for those of you who had such kind words and advice. Things are going better... My mother calmed down and actually went and bought a little baby jumper - already! She has always been a pessimist, so I have to learn to just let her fume about things and then keep my own perspective. We also told my dad last night and he was surprisingly ok with it. He was a little sad about the timing, but he said he sees no reason we cant make this work, as long as we are willing to work hard at it. He's excited be a grandpa. )
I am still back and forth on how I feel. Is that normal? Sometimes I feel happy and look at baby clothes and plan the future, other times I am very sad, scared, and unsure that I can actually do this. At those times I feel so selfish, because I know that logically I *can* do it, but I have to give things up. (Sadly, selfishness was often a trait of mine growing up, and I fear I haven't quite outgrown all of it). I think about things like "Now Brett and I can't travel to exotic places without a baby or having good care for the baby." "We won't have enough money to buy that house I wanted in a year and a half." "I won't be able to have the 'perfect' wedding anymore." I know those are selfish, horrible thoughts, but am I the only one who thinks them? I know that when the baby is born none of that will matter, or so I am told. But sometimes I think...what if I am a bad mother, and I resent the baby taking away so many of the things I wanted? Ok, sorry, now to my real question:

So far I haven't had morning sickness, but I'm still early on. IF/when I do, I work as a substitute teacher, and I'm not sure how to handle it! I am not allowed to leave kids unattended, regardless of grade level. (I sub from 3rd grade through 12th...big range!) So if I feel really ill and need to throw up, what do I do? I"m freaking out about this... Any suggestions? My friends said to just throw up into a bag in class. EW! Can you imagine 30 kids screaming as they saw me throw up?? Do you think I should try to get a different job for the next months until I secure a full time teaching job in fall? Work in retail or as a receptionist for now? Or is there a way to substitute teach and still be sick? lol. Would love to hear your suggestions!

~Sabrina

March 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2B*L*T
Hi, I'm glad your parents are starting to except it better! And no, you are not the only one who has thoughts like that. I think every mom does. It's just a natural thing. Your mind is thinking of all of the things that you are going to have to give up. But believe me, once your little one is here, you will feel completely different. Those things won't matter so much anymore. But don't think u are a bad person for thinking those things. It's very normal!!! Good luck with everything!

<div align='center'></div>Siggy made by dettmer26- thank you!</div>
March 15th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Margaret
Quote:
Originally posted by Larkin121@Mar 14 2005, 05:56 PM
I feel happy and look at baby clothes and plan the future, other times I am very sad, scared, and unsure that I can actually do this...<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Hi,

I think this is normal regardless if the pregnancy is planned or not. Raising a child is a huge responsibility and I would be surprised if ANY mother did not have some reservations about it.

Relative to the m/s - My roommate in college did that in our trash can and wouldn't clean it up. Eww. I'm sure I would have been weirded out if my teacher did that in class. lol

Can you talk to other teachers who've been pregnant to see how they coped with it? Supposedly, it gets better in the 2nd trimester, but mine hasn't calmed down.

Can you have a thermos of ginger tea at your desk? Also, fresh ginger or lemons help mine settle down.

I don't know if this would help, but it helped me. I wake up but don't get up. I stay lying down for about ten minutes and sit up for about 5-10 minutes before trying to walk. After that, I don't get sick at all.

I don't know the name, but there is prescription for it. My doctor offered it to me when mine didn't settle down.

Hope you feel better soon.
March 15th, 2005, 06:57 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HI - I teach h.s. so heres my advice about having morning sickness at school:

1. Try to find things that calm your stomach: lemon water, hard candy etc.

2. Try to sub at the higher levels where you won't have to do much other than sit and babysit while they watch a video or do a worksheet. Also at the higher levels you have more breaks (passing periods).

3. If you do need to hurl it is okay to leave the classroom - just tell the teacher next door. I have a friend who made sure there was a trash can outside her room at all times.

HTH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search