Just found out I'm 9 weeks pregnant-Drank really heavily

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran
Hello everyone!

I just found out I'm pregnant. I would like to hear stories from other mom that drank HEAVILY during the first two months and if everything turned out OK.

I'm 26, drank around 5-6 bottles of wine every week. Sometime I would just drink hard liquor.

A lot of people told me not to worry. I'm trying not to but would like to hear some stories from people that had similar experiences, good or bad.

Thank you

Last edited by Daria26; October 17th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
October 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Veteran
Just to add: I stopped as soon as I found out. This is also my first.
October 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Voodoo_Lady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drank heavily with my first (like hard liquor, drunk every night) for about 5 weeks until I found out. I also had the occasional drink during pregnancy (I believe moderate drinking is fine during pregnancy). My son was born healthy and thrived (off the charts for both weight and height). No signs of FAS at all. I wouldn't worry too much

October 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's okay. It happens all the time. As long as you don't continue, everything will work out the way its intended to.
October 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah, as long as you've stopped the baby should be okay. My mother told me that she drank for a month before she found out she was pregnant with me and I turned out okay. At least I *think* I did
October 20th, 2010, 10:38 PM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't find out I was pregnant with my daughter until I was nearly 12 weeks along. I drank every weekend and for 3 weeks of that time, I was on vacation. I drank beer, hard liquor, energy drinks, smoked pot almost every day while on vacay... when I found out I was prego, I panicked, I thought my period was just screwed up from my miscarriage... but nope.. prego.

My daughter is now 19 months old and healthier than a horse!!

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
October 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran
Thank you for your replies. I've spent hours searching for stories on the web. I know it won't make a difference to the outcome but I'm was a little worried.

Thank you
October 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
laurabelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
same here, i drank A TON in the first month and change before i found out. wine, everyday, at least a bottle sometimes more, and other stuff i shouldnt have been doing preggo or not

my son is totally fine. try not to worry.
October 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Baby should be fine, and you stoped when you found out so that's really good. My mother drank with me, my sister and brother and we are all perfectly healthy.

October 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, alcohol pretty much caused my conception and my baby is perfect, so there's that reassurance... but what really helped me when I had the same worries was my midwife telling me that it takes awhile before your body is the one providing nourishment for the baby so to not worry too much about those first weeks... nature protects babies during that time period we don't know they're there. I'm certain your baby will be fine

Thanks ~* Helen *~ for my cute siggy!

October 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you should be fine.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

November 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Rheya's Avatar sweet baby's mama
Wow, I'm so grateful to read your post, Daria26. In fact, I just posted a similar question under "pregnancy questions." Guess I should've looked around more first! Not to reiterate everything, but I am about 7.5 weeks pregnant now and I was right about 4.5 weeks when I found out via HPT. A few days before I was right at 4 months and I got pretty wasted on hard liquor. I was drinking pretty regularly (though not usually as heavily) up until I found out.

Reading what I've seen online has been more worrisome than reassuring. Some of what I've read says that around the 3rd or 4th week, the developing fetus is at a critical stage, and especially vulnerable to heavy alcohol consumption. I've also read that the risks are greater for mothers over 30 who drink, and I'm 34.

Good luck to you and your baby- and thanks again for posting this question. Thanks also to all the ladies who replied with reassurance... I hope all's well.

Last edited by Rheya; November 9th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
November 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran
Hello Rheya,

Don't worry about not finding this thread. This board has MANY subforums and the search option is not available until you have at least 10 posts.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I drank really heavily before I found out (at 8 weeks) and sometime I would just sip on straight liquor. I was extremely worried too and still am a bit.

At this point, worrying won't do anything but cause stress. That's why I kind of let it go. I know it can be hard though.

I'm 13weeks and 3 days right now. We had the NT ultrasound (which is too see if baby could have down syndrom) and everything was looking great. The baby is even a bit bigger than what it's supposed to (measuring at 14 weeks). Heartbeat is normal too.

They said FAS mostly happens to women who drinks regularly during the WHOLE pregnancy. I'm sure that there are many alcoholics out there that got pregnant and their babies were mostly fine. Also know that full-blown FAS happens only in few cases. So try not to worry.

My doctor told me it should be fine.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

When are you due?
November 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Rheya's Avatar sweet baby's mama
Thanks so much, Daria26. I know the info on the internet about the risk of drinking in the first trimester is probably pretty biased, partly because no source wants to seem like they are dismissing the risks or condoning drinking while pregnant- but it's still pretty scary!

I've been trying to give myself the same advice/reassurance you're giving me, but somehow it helps a lot more when it comes from someone else. Congratulations on your baby's great progress- you must be very happy and relieved!

I had an ultrasound last week, and the tech advised that my estimated due date is June 24. I'll have my first prenatal appointment with the midwife tomorrow

Good luck with your pregnancy, too- and thanks again.
November 29th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hi there, my friend has only just found out she is pregnant, at 6months. She was drinking, smoking ciggarettes and had taken ecstacy about four times during her pregnancy she estimates.. is there a big risk to her baby? the scans show that the baby is fine, developed normally and the right weight etc for how far along she is. she is really worried
November 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran
The only way to tell is after the baby is born. I'm sure she'll be fine. No matter what anyone tells you/her you'll only find out later in life. It's different for everyone.

Good luck to her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search