18 weeks and still no ultrasound

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2005, 08:35 PM
Regular
Hey everyone, I'm a first time mom and I was just wondering, I will be 19 weeks before I've had my first ultrasound, has this happened to anyone else?? I find all these pictures of ultrasounds soooo much earlier than that!! :rolleyes:
March 31st, 2005, 08:38 PM
DananaLuvsGabby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to DananaLuvsGabby
I got my first U/S at 5 weeks but I know some docs won't do one till 20 weeks.
March 31st, 2005, 08:39 PM
MomOfXavierAndGabby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
depends on your doc-with my son i didn't have any ultrasounds- with this pregnancy I won't have one until 26 weeks.

]

April 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to JM and congrats!

As long as your pregnancy is normal, U/S really arent necessary until 20w. The 20w scan is when they will make sure you baby has all its organs in working order and that it is measuring on schedule. You can also find out the sex at that scan if you want to. Dont worry about it. Its VERY normal to only get 1 scan. You dont really need anymore than that.

April 1st, 2005, 05:30 AM
1proudmom2kalli
I'm pretty sure that I know why you're anxious for the ultrasound. You probably want to find out if it's a boy or girl (who could blame you?). Anyways, I talked to the girl at my doc's office and she said that if you wait until you're 20 weeks (or closer to it) then they can give you a more definate answer as to a boy or girl (as long as the child cooperates!). But also, you get clearer pictures if you wait longer and then drink A LOT of water before you go! That's what I did and I think my pics came out great!

Anyways, don't be discouraged. I had my ultrasound at 19 weeks, 6 days to do the fetal anatomy survey and see if it was a boy or a girl. I had my first one at 6 weeks, 2 days, but that's because I was having some problems with bleeding.

Well, I hope that you get your ultrasound and I hope it goes well!
April 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM
angied's Avatar Member
I had 3 ultrasounds all before 9 weeks, but only because I had a placental abruption. Without complications I would have only one ultrasound, the anatomy one, which I'm scheduled for on April 22. So don't worry, one ultrasound is completely normal and be happy you didn't have a reason to get more!

Baby V's Countdown
April 5th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to foreveryours
I tricked my doctor into giving me a ultrasound My mom is a nurse and shes friends with the doctors @ the hospitol I go to so I told her to tell them I was having pain and he gave me one about an hour later.

April 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
RmN32611's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to RmN32611
I had my first ultrasound at 9 weeks to determine a due date, and get my next one at 21 weeks. I cant wait!

April 24th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to im a 1st time mommy
i had mine at the end of 18 weeks. but we only get one so they hold off for a while so that there is more detailing with the baby. i don't know how it is anywhere else but that's how it is here. unless you have a high risk pregnancy or you are having twins or something. i was so excited to get it done that the anticipations was driving me nuts.
April 26th, 2005, 12:08 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Most OB's I know of only do 1 u/s unless you don't know your LMP, thenyou get one to figure out how far along you are.

My OB does them until she can find a heartbeat with doppler because she's a high risk OB then I'm getting others because we have to check for spina bifida signs as well as heart problems.

Her rule though is unless she see's a reason for an u/s she won't do one.
April 26th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Insurance companies will only cover an ultrasound if there is a medical reason for it, and some will only cover 1. They won't do one just to find out the sex or cause you want to see baby, there has to be another reason. Many people get an early one to check dates, especially if they are unsure, but not every doc does one for dates and not all insurance companies will cover it for dates. So unless your high risk or they suspect something may be up or wrong, you won't get one until that 20week mark. It is very normal and common.

I get a lot of them because of my history and age. But that isn't the norm.
May 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
2with1togo's Avatar Veteran
Until this baby I had only had an ultrasound at the 20 week mark (or give or take a week). With my last I had 2 due to placenta previa so I had the 20 week one and then one at 30 weeks to see if it had corrected itself.

This was the first time I had a first trimester u/s. I guess at this hospital (military) its up to the dr or midwife who sees you.
May 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
Melode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first ultrasound was at 4 months and my second on was a 5 months it jus depends on the doc and the way ur clinics work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search