How do I tell my dad I'm pregnant ?!

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
so i'm actually 15 weeks pregnant, and havent told my dad yet! everyone else knows and is happy for me and supportive but my dad's never been really supportive or liked children at all. really all he cares about is money and success and i have a feeling if i told him he would try to make me get rid of my baby :[ also he'd be really disappointed or say i'm just like my mother or something.\ about me ruining my life always making mistakes but i know he will notice soon. i dont know what to do!
March 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is YOUR decision to keep the baby or not. I was really scared about telling my dad. But when I told him, I was thinking in my head, if you want to be disappointed, that's your problem. I'm happy, and that's all that matters. Only what YOU think matters, but it is hard to hear those words from someone you care about. Good luck
March 23rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Veteran
send him a postcard? maybe you should try a way where if the conversation gets ugly u have a quick way out? u dont need to stress out. im sure he maybe shocked at first but give him the choice if he wants to be apart of his grandchilds life or not.

March 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
cutepiem1's Avatar Veteran
I was thinking something along the lines of a postcard or if Father's Day cards are out send him a Grandfather one with a little message about the pregnancy and him being a grandfather on whatever your due date is. That way the initial reaction wont be right in your face if it isnt a good one. Then I would even put at the end something like "thank you for your love and support".
March 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ashley11
It's scary being in this position. . .I was terrified to tell my dad mostly because he has always been extremely critical with me and it seemed like he was everything BUT supportive. . .But I called my dad chit chatted a little, and then before we hung up I sais 'Dad. . .' he said Yes? I said 'You're going to be a grandpa. . .' in my head I heard him getting upset with me and mad that I am 20 and already having a baby. . .but to my surprise he was beyond excited. And since then all he can talk about is the baby. . .every time I visit he looks at me and says 'Wow. . .I'm going to be a grandpa!' I would have never thought my dad would have reacted this way. . .It was the last thing I would have expected.

You do it the way you feel is best, be it a post card as others have said or an email if he does that. . .maybe even a phone call.. .

Good luck!
March 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Holdens Mommy <3
Thats a tough situation.
I was terrified to tell my dad and he was the last to find out. He never got mad at me, but he definitely was not supportive. He was a jerk my whole pregnancy, even looked up adoption agencies for me to look into. It changed our whole relationship completely. Bu now that my son is here, my dad adores him. Always wants to see him and know what he's doing. But honestly, the way he acted while I was pregnant makes me hold resetment towards him. I almost dont want him to see my son and we hardly talk anymore. But that was the choice HE made.
You cant make someone be excited or happy for you and in the same sense you cant made them be mad. He will react however he will and theres nothing you can go about it. You did nothing wrong so if he does get angry its a predisposition he has and you shouldnt have to carry that burden. I'd just come out and tell him, if you live close see him face to face and tell him. Good luck and congratulations!!
March 27th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello there. I am pooping in from the Nov 2011 DDC. I had the same issue with my mom. I have no clue what my dad thinks but he is pretty laid back. My mom on the other hand is the least supportive person you will ever meet. I am going to visit them soon and decided to tell them before I got there. I just called her and chatted for a few minutes before I just blurted out that I was pregnant.

She is mad but I don't really care. I told her that way when I get down there she will be over her brooding for the most part. And if she isn't too bad. It sucks to have a parent like that but it sounds like you have a lot of supportive people in your life so 1 who isn't is ok.

March 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Veteran
i was so scared to tell my parents i told them while they were in europe! im a big sook lol goodluck

March 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
You should talk to them straight and sincere. No parents can ignore or resists their love for their children.

Last edited by marimarlouisa; March 27th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search