Has a stranger ever been rude/ask questions because you're a young mom?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm an RN and a couple people I've taken care of have thought I'm younger than I really am. One person asked me what my parents thought me having a baby at such a young age. I told him I don't need their permission cause I'm 27 and already have a child at home.

I was 24 when I gave birth to my DD. I got weird looks from people in public because I looked younger than I really was. I've been pointed at and everythin too.

September 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 33 and look much younger apparently... and I have received the comments too. So i feel your pain. I just look at them, smile sweetly and walk away.

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
September 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
joey_emmysmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I got alot of rude comments when I was pregnant with my son I was 19 and dh was 24 and our child was planned but I look alot younger then I am so people would ask him what he was thinking getting a child pregnant. We would just laugh at them.

I am now 29 pregnant with #3 and me and dh still get looks when we are out with the kids. People always say so is this your first baby together I guess they figure I'm not the mom to my older ones. They look just like thier dad not like me at all and we just laugh and say no we are about to celebrate our 11th anniversary they say oh you must have been so young when you had your son he is 9 now.
When I tell people that I am 29 they always trip out and want to see my id even people I have known for awhile they always assume me and my sister are twins or that she is older and she is 4 years younger then me.

September 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cannot wait for people to make any comment honestly. I'm 21, but I look really young, anywhere from 13-17 depending on how much credit they're giving me. I already get it all the time at the store buying cigarettes, or beer [for the BF!]. It annoyed me at first, but now I either joke along or am rude to them depending on how they acted first.

I just like making people feel awkward for commenting on something they have no right to comment on. If I wanted to say something nasty to you and didn't want a reply, I'd say it out of earshot behind your back...

September 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
Oh yes many comments. I had 3 children with my now ex by the time I was 24 years old so you can just imagine. But what they didnt realize is that I am a fantastic young mother and we were doing very well for ourselves when we were together. And now at 25 I will be having my 4th child (same father as the others) but now that Im a single mother I am sure I will hear alot more!

September 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM
joey_emmysmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bailey- View Post
I cannot wait for people to make any comment honestly. I'm 21, but I look really young, anywhere from 13-17 depending on how much credit they're giving me. I already get it all the time at the store buying cigarettes, or beer [for the BF!]. It annoyed me at first, but now I either joke along or am rude to them depending on how they acted first.

I just like making people feel awkward for commenting on something they have no right to comment on. If I wanted to say something nasty to you and didn't want a reply, I'd say it out of earshot behind your back...
I still get carded when I go to a bar to listen to my uncle and cousin play in thier band. I get carded just walking in because they think I'm to young to be in the bar.
A lady asked me the other night ( I just ordered a coke) she asked your old enough to drink right I said yes but I'm not drinking I'm pregnant. She said I know but this is a 21 and over bar so I need to see your Id I said I'm 29 she looked at me crazy and said now I really wanna see your id I showed it to her and she was like wow ok. I just laughed at her

October 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM
PinkBows_x's Avatar Member
Yeah, DF and I have been stared at and given filthy looks quite a lot since my belly started growing. I've been called a **** and a ***** too, actually, when I was out shopping with my younger sister.
I guess it doesn't help that I look much younger than I am. But even so, its seriously judgmental and rude and it really gets on my nerves!
Age does not define the type of parent you'll be. There are great moms and crap moms of all ages. The fact that I'm 20 has nothing to do with it!

Engaged, 20, Full Time Working Student, Pro-Breastfeeding, Young Excited Mommy-to-be of a Yellow Bump due 1/02/2012.

Kate & Andrew|23.01.2006.
October 15th, 2011, 10:40 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i imagine i've drawn looks, but i've paid no attention, and i don't recall anything offensive coming from a stranger. however, my family will make negative comments out the .....
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

October 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I was 23 when I first got pregnant with my son. Me and fiance were ttc. I never did get weird looks or comments from strangers, it was actually a few aunts of mine who made sweet little "too young" gestures. w/e.
Its only NOW that I get looks because I am pregnant again at 24 and my babies will be only 16 months apart. So...when I go out visibly pregnant with a one year old people feel the need to ask all the time "When's your next one due?" After I told an older lady this weekend she actually had the nerve to ask me "Do you think you can handle it?" Seriously! I was actually quite snotty back to her while maintaining a smile bcuz I dont put up with that.
October 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Super Mommy
I had my first at 22. I remember going to the store with my ex-MIL and people always assumed DS was hers. I looked really young at 22, but it doesn't give people the right to make assumptions.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search