Found out I'm pregnant today...am I freaking out too much?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Today I found out I was pregnant after being with my boyfriend for roughly 6 months, we have a good relationship, but we still go through ups and downs because of his Bi-Polarism. He wants to keep the baby, I'm more apprehensive about. I'm 24, I still go out party with friends and drink a lot. But I think the bigger, and maybe dumber issue for me is what will people think?
I feel that although i'm 24 when I tell friends and family itll be like I'm 15 saying I'm pregnant. I'll get negative feedback. I feel like now a days there's stigma about getting pregnant even in your mid twenties I feel like people would think I'm still young and that the length of my relationship with my boyfriend will also be looked down upon.
I know my situation really isn't THAT bad. But I just am not sure what to do and how to really feel about.
Help? Advice?
October 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You need to sit down alone and go over each of your options and see what works best for you. Only then discuss it with your partner. 24 is reasonably old enough to have a child but in this day and age there is a lot of stigma surrounding pregnancy at any age.

You have to figure out how much it really bothers you. Are you the type that can blow it off and do your own thing or will you honestly be walking on egg shells around everyone you know? Everyone gets negitive comments about their pregnancy even if they've been married for 10 years, have seen the whole world twice, and are the richest most responsable people alive. Most people today have no idea how to respond when someone tells them that they are pregnant and when that person is young they tend to respond negitively because that's what they are condishioned to do. Once people start to see that your happy that you are pregnant those kinds of comments will stop.

Pregnancy and having a baby dosen't mean that your life ends. It just means that it's changed. You can still go out with your friends. You can still party some after the baby is born if you want to. Usually you don't though because that lifestyle no longer fits who you are. Granted that might have happend anyway as you grew as a person even if you didn't have a baby.

October 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
If you both want the baby then you should not let any other people's judgment get to you. I always give myself this concept, people are looking negatively at me, because I let them get to me and let the stuff they say about me affect me. Don't let anyone get to you, do what you want, and don't do anything you don't want cause of their comments.
October 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Well first of all, 24 is said to be part of the "ideal" age range for pregnancy - in terms of having a healthy baby with the least risk of miscarriage, birth defects etc. There is also a huge difference between a teen becoming pregnant vs. someone in their mid 20's! It may feel to you like people may liken you to that, but I can assure you this isn't the case. Please don't feel that way! Everyone is going to have their options of you now, both good & bad -- this is just the way people are! You can have a ring on your finger and find out you're pregnant less than a month into your marriage (like me at 22!) and people can still have negative opinions about you, how you should've waited, or MAYBE you were REALLY pregnant BEFORE you said "I do" (I loved that one!). Point is, people are alway going to have "something's to say" -- and chances are, it'll most likely be behind your back if its negative. So, now that you understand how people tend to operate, you can move on to what's really important - you and the precious life inside of you. This is about you two now, even your b/f may not stick it out in the end, I pray he does the right thing and steps up to be an awesome part of this child's life however, but regardless you need to be the one who's ultimately there for your baby. By the way, congratulations!!! Babies are a miracle of life, despite the circumstances of how they were conceived! I have since had one more little Guy (2 boys now) and found out I'm pregnant with #3 just this week! I wish I could give you a huge hug and tell you everything is going to work out! Because it will. Stay positive and ask God for his help/wisdom anytime you feel confused or worried. I have no idea how I would make it w/o Him! huge huggss!!
November 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Proud Mama of 3
It's going to be ok... Just bc you're prego at 24 doesnt mean you will NEVER have fun again... It's just going to be a different kind of fun. 24 is a good age... It's young but not too young. The newness of just finding out you're pregnant will take a little bit to dissipate, but it will all work out in the end.

Does your boyfriend take medication for his bi-polar? I know a lot of people who are bi-polar, and as long as they keep taking their meds they are fine.

It will all work out and be ok. It sounds so cliche, but its true... Keep your head up and take care your your body and yourself

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search