Pregnant after vasectomy?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Mom2IrishTwins's Avatar Wiccan Mom to 2
Anyone in this or have been in this situation? I haven't tested yet, but I'm currently 10 days late. Never been this late before without being pregnant. I haven't had much for added stress, not much more than normal anyway. I've read quite a few stories of this happening. The one site had a 5 page thread of all these women who were pregnant or had babies post vasectomy. Doesn't seem to be that uncommon anymore. I didn't make it to the dollar store to grab a couple tests last night, I'm out in the country and don't drive. I'm thinking of maybe waiting until Friday though. Have to go to town then for sure, do the grocery shopping and what not.

Just curious though if this has happened to any of you.
Hubby had his vasectomy early 2009 but never went back for the sperm counts. :/ We usually use condoms anyway, but haven't been the past few months.

April 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering the same thing. My husband had his back in august and he had his perm tested only once (they recommend twice) back in November or so. We never use any protection because he is supposed to be sterile. Monday I had a tiny bit of spotting and I had another tiny bit today and it's 6 days before my period is due. The exact thing happened when I was pregnant with our son. It has me a little freaked out but it just seems like such an impossibility that it seems silly my mind would even go to being pregnant!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!

April 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Regular
My two youngest siblings were both conceived after my dad's vasectomy. They joke about 'the mailman' but they look so much like the rest of us (we all take after my dad) that there's really no doubting it. They should have told your DH when he had it done that it's never 100%.
April 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Mom2IrishTwins's Avatar Wiccan Mom to 2
I did grab a couple dollar store tests. The first was negative. Not even a hint of line. The second I took yesterday and there was an extremely faint line, but I can't tell if it's an evap line or not. It's really hard to see in a picture too. But you would think being this late, it would show up. With my first, I got my BFP at just 7dpo! And really early with my daughter too. I was taking Clomid when I got pregnant with my first though and hadn't even gotten a post partum period before finding out I was pregnant again.

Katie - Sounds like a little implantation spotting! I've been doing a lot of research online and it seems it's really not that uncommon to get pregnant post-vasectomy. More unlikely after getting your tubes tied than after a vasectomy. I've read a lot of stories about the tube reattaching. Even a couple about getting a vasectomy but not knowing the man had two tubes! Lol, I hear ya on that one! I think it's just an automatic for most women, at least those of us who actually went through the whole TTC process.

kathydavid
- Oh no! Hubby was joking with me about the mailman! I burst his bubble when I told him we have a mail woman! ha! That's crazy though that 2 babies came from a failed vasectomy. Yes, they definitely should've. It would've been better though if he would've went in for the follow up sperm counts. Especially since it was him who wanted the vasectomy. I'm totally open to having one more baby! I've actually had a bad case of the baby blues for the past, og year or so. :/

April 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
My husband had a vasectomy and it took 4 months,3 sperm samples before his pipes were sperm free.It takes time to be sperm free and so many women get pregnant in that time period.And the ones that get pregnant much later their DH probably didn't go back and get checked to see if the procedure was a success.Anyways good luck and I hope you find answers soon!!!

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

June 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Nikke2527's Avatar Veteran
I am currently pregnant and my partner has a vesectomy years ago before we even met (so over 10 years ago). He is the only man I have slept with since we have been together. This pregnancy has ruined our relationship because I dont belive in abortions and he never wanted kids. I always thought it was close to 100% but after being pregnant and doing research I find that this is very common (heck my mother and best friend are RN's and told me they see it more than people talk about in the hospital). Lesson learned, getting my tubes tied (heck thats not 100% either)
June 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my neighbor had 3 girls in three years. her third was a post-vasectomy baby. they are now 4, 5, and 6.

July 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
My fiancé had a vasectomy 14 years ago and had zero sperm count post procedure. He had no preganacies until I became pregnant last year from him. Luckily he assumed his tubes healed and not that I was cheating. He did go in for a sperm check and sperm was present. I ended up miscarrying and have wanted to become pregnant again. He has gone in for a quality of sperm check, and no sperm were present. Dr. ordered another test and sperm was present on the third test. We've not had another pregnancy, but pregnancies can definitely happen post vasectomy.
August 2nd, 2012, 01:01 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
It's very common IMO. Goodluck i hope you get the answer you're wanting!

August 4th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
Add me to the list! We thought he was all clear, but we got a bonus baby!
August 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last year 2 years after my husbands vasectomy I got pregnant but it ended in a m/c at 11 weeks.
He went in and had live sperm so it is possible
August 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'm new to this and was wondering how ACTUALLY common it is for pregnancy post vas? My husband had it 2 years ago and we had all clear. Just wondering if doctors exagurate the results(because if they told you it was common to fail nobody would pay them to do it), or if there is really no worries?
August 28th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! I am 7 days overdue on AF and my Hubby had a vasectomy 3 1/2 years ago. Was all clear after the OP. Now I am a little freaked out :/
September 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
New here...

I can't help but shake the feeling we are not done having kids and that I will fall pregnant despite DH's clean post vasectomy followup mid August.

DD is almost 13 months and AF has yet to return for me. I was recently diagnosed with estrogen depletion due to breastfeeding and am now on a cream. Not having AF is doing a number on my back and forth "not done" feeling.

We have 2 boys (8 and 3) and one girl (almost 13 months). My last delivery was very difficult for me and I decided very early in the pregnancy that I was done, anyway. It took until she was 8 months old before DH got his big-V, and ever since I've been wondering "What if God didn't intend for us to be done and we are preventing something He has planned for us?".

*sigh*
September 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Regular
Oh yes, it can happen! Our friends hubby had one and months later, she got pregnant, it was a weird conversation to say the least when she told him
October 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was a teenager my Mom and I went to some lady's house to pick up an item my Mom purchased. We're looking around the house and see pictures of a kids (8-15 years old). The lady is definitely in her 40s. And then we see a cute little infant boy laying in a playpen. The lady could tell that we were curious and she explained that he's a "late in life baby".

Apparently what happened was that her husband went in for a vasectomy. They told him that he could bring in his own sample to the lab but I guess he missed the part of "bring it in IMMEDIATELY". He got his sample together then went to work and left it IN HIS CAR. Then he went to the lab with it. And of course the sperm was considered non-viable or they were just fried and not showing up. Whatever. 3 months later she was pregnant.

My Mom and i were laughing at the end but she still looked WAAY pissed, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search