Frustrated with Prenatal Care

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM
This is my first pregnancy, I am just short of 20 and "discovered" my pregnancy around November 25. My LMP was during October. I was in the process of trying to find a new Dr as my previous family physician (who only recently finally released me) is nearing retirement, was not helping me at all and has not helped my relatives who've dealt with him in the past. Not knowing where to start, I went to the Unplanned Pregnancy Clinic to meet with a pregnancy counselor who referred me to a prenatal care program run by 6 female GPs from 3 different clinics here. I was very excited to finally be getting the ball rolling but after going in for my first visit I am quite disappointed.

I met with a Dr who was very polite indeed but the "meeting" did not go at all as I had expected. She discussed with us a few things including blood work to check for abnormalities and about Amniocentesis, though as I am young and healthy she agreed that these things are likely not to turn anything up and Amniocentesis would likely not even be considered.

I expected to have an ultrasound, be given a PAP test, physical exam, etc. but did not have anything of these things done. They booked me an ultrasound for January 9th and that's it. Is this not "off" at all?

I called to see if I could leave a message to have the Dr I met with give me a call when she's able but the receptionist said this wasn't possible and that she could address my concerns. She said they don't normally do pregnancy tests and that I could speak with a Dr at my next appointment, though that seems so far away! I feel irresponsible in my health care because nothing has been done/looked into but I am trying and feel as though I don't have much help from the Dr/prenatal care program I was referred to.

Has anyone else gone through this or had a similar experience? What was your solution?
Any input would be appreciated!
December 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Depending on where you are from, this is very standard.

I'm in Canada personally, and here, unless you have no idea of when you conceived or have complications, you don't get an ultrasound until around 20 weeks, and that's it!

I do think a new doctor should have perhaps done a physical, but again, it really is dependant on the doctor and what they see is necessary. My first penatal was nothing but a little talk with the nurse on what to do until my first "official" appointment, which only included a long questionnaire and some pamphlets.. lol

If you are uncomfortable with this new doctor, you could always see another.

Good luck!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

December 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In the US, a dating scan at around 8 weeks is pretty standard. I've always had an early ultrasound. But not all places do the early ultrasound. There will be an ultrasound around 20 weeks to check the baby's anatomy. Make sure you take prenatal vitamins, you can get them over the counter or get a prescription for them.
December 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM
DeletedUser12345's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here in Seattle, they did first intro appointment at 7 weeks with paperwork and blood tests and wont do first ultrasound until 10-12 weeks and then the next one at 20 weeks. That seems annoying but normal to me.. I just recently lost my insurance so I am stuck on state health care for this pregnancy for now. I wish you the best of luck.
December 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamarie247 View Post
Here in Seattle, they did first intro appointment at 7 weeks with paperwork and blood tests and wont do first ultrasound until 10-12 weeks and then the next one at 20 weeks. That seems annoying but normal to me.. I just recently lost my insurance so I am stuck on state health care for this pregnancy for now. I wish you the best of luck.
Yes, in the midwest I also had appointments that looked like this:
9 weeks - 1st appt, health history and pap
12 weeks - optional nuchal translucency test (ultrasound, we opted in)
16 weeks - boring/regular check up
20 weeks - anamoly/anatomy ultrasound (checks for growth, required)
24 weeks - regular boring appt
28 weeks - glucose tolerance test, first belly measurement
32 weeks - regular boring appt
34 weeks - regular boring appt
36 weeks - 1st cervical check, GBS swab (checks to see if you need antibiotics during delivery for a normal strep that grows in some women but is harmful to baby)
37 weeks - regular boring appt
38 weeks - 2nd cervical check
39 weeks - ... I have mine tomorrow but since I will be 39+3 and nothing's happened, we will probably discuss 'if this, then this' options. At the latest, I will have another 40 week (40+3 actually) appt and then the baby will come at 41+3 days at the latest since my doctor only allows you to go 10 days overdue.

At regular boring appointments, a nurse takes your weight and blood pressure, the doctor listens to baby's heartbeat, and that is pretty much it. Sometimes I have a question or 2 but mostly I figure she'll tell me what I need to know.

I have had a very regular low-risk pregnancy as this is my first, so the care I have received has been very standard. You should ask your doctor at your next appointment for an expected timeline of care if you have any concerns, but it sounds like you have had pretty typical care so far.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search