How can I tell my mother?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HolaBebe
  • 1 Post By Mommy_2_3
  • 2 Post By Mommy_2_3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM
My girlfriend's 4 months pregnant and I have no idea how to tell my mom. I've wanted this long because of that reason. I'm twenty years old (technically not a "teen" but I just turned 20) and have always been her do right son who's never given her trouble out of all my siblings. I live kind of far because of college but I'm going to visit her soon. I'm currently throwing around the option(s) of A.sending her a textpicture of the ultrasound and let her jump to the conclusion. B. Meeting her up at a local restaurant or coffeshop with my girlfriend and letting her see the baby bump herself. Or. C. Having an entire day devoted to us doing what she wants and then breaking the news to her in the hopes that it sounds better.?*My mom has never met my girlfriend , just seen her a few times briefly. So I'm not sure if having her present at the time would be the best option. So what would be the best way to tell her? My mom and I are really close so it hurts me to hide this from her but it petrifies me to upset her
I'm open to other ideas if you have any, thank you.
February 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Personally, as a mother myself, I would think the best way to "break the news" would be in person, just you and her. That way she'll be less caught off guard.

Tell your Mom exactly how you feel, that you don't want to disappoint her. Do you have a plan on how you'll care for the baby? Maybe show her you're being responsible and planning accordingly for the baby.

Good luck! I am sure she will be understanding.

February 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Personal opinion: I highly recommend in person and in a personal setting. It sounds like this will be very big news and it seems unfair to do it via text or in front of someone whom she has never met. I would tell her pretty much what you said, that you never want to disappoint her and were unsure how she would take the news so you have waited until the right time to do it the right way.
It is likely she may surprise you and, once the shock wears off, be excited for you. Best of luck!
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
February 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree, my parents are the type to adore every accomplishment.
Im the oldest and the first to have a child. So the pressure was on.
I got pregnant at 21 and now 26 weeks pregnant at age 22.

I told my mom while we were alone. Just straight to the point. It was so much easier to just say it.
She didnt meet my boyfriend nearly enough times, sadly he wasnt ready to be a father so hes not in the picture. But once I told my mom and my dad, things got better.

Good luck!
February 7th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I agree with the other posters. It really is best to tell her in person. I wish the best of luck to you!
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
February 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Well, it is the 23rd now OP. Have you told your mother?
HolaBebe and left_field like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search