Medications and early pregnancy

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Regular
I just found out I'm pregnant yesterday. It was not planned, but I am excited. I'm 33 and have always wanted kids. It is very early on as my period was only a day late yesterday. I took an hpt because I just felt pregnant.
Since it was not planned I am still on medications I figured I would have talked to my shrink about before trying to get pregnant. Cymbalta for depression/anxiety; Lamictal for bi-polar; and Welbutrin for ADD. My shrink is out of town until Monday (1 week from now). All these medications are Class C for pregnancy. Is it safe to continue taking them until I am able to talk to my shrink? I know it is not a good idea to just stop taking them on my own. Any experience or advice would be appreciated, Thanks!
April 22nd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends on how you function without these medications. If you need them to maintain a healthy mindset and to function as typically as possible you should probably continue to take them for now.

Are you able to make an appointment with another doctor in the same practice or go to your general practitioner? Your OB/GYN should also be able to take a look at your medications, listen to why you need them and help you to make a good decision.

While your medications could pose a risk to your pregnancy suddenly going off of a bunch of medication and going into a downward spiral can be more dangerous.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
I have no idea since I am not a doctor. When I was pregnant with my girls and had a question about what was safe to take and not safe, I would call our pharmacist. When your pregnant there is very few things allowed when it comes to pills, so to be on safe side I wouldn't for the sake of the baby. But again ask someone who knows for sure asap.

April 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Super Mommy
I also recommend calling your doctor or OB/gyn. While the medications you've been taking wont have had an effect on baby as yet, it's definitely a good idea to check with someone right away to get some competent medical advice. Also, of course, make sure you're taking a prenatal vitamin and eating as healthy as possible. Congratulations on your baby!
April 23rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I believe Cymbalta and Wellbutrin are considered ok to take in pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the risks. I took Zoloft through my pregnancy for anxiety and my baby was born fine.

As for the other med, I would def ask. You can call a Pharmacist or call your OBGYN as they should be able to tell you.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Regular
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I called the psychiatry hotline at Kaiser and was told to call back this afternoon and try to talk to another psychiatrist on staff (since mine is out of town). I also sent emails to my regular doctor, gynecologist, and the pharmacy. The medication that I am most concerned about is the Lamictal. I took my meds as normal this morning, but only half the Lamictal dose (in case the doctor will want me to ween off it) . I figure that if I get more information today I can either take the rest of the dose or not. Sounds reasonable, right?
April 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Regular
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I called the psychiatry hotline at Kaiser and was told to call back this afternoon and try to talk to another psychiatrist on staff (since mine is out of town). I also sent emails to my regular doctor, gynecologist, and the pharmacy. The medication that I am most concerned about is the Lamictal. I took my meds as normal this morning, but only half the Lamictal dose (in case the doctor will want me to ween off it) . I figure that if I get more information today I can either take the rest of the dose or not. Sounds reasonable, right?
April 23rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like a very good plan I'm glad that you'll get a more speedy response than previously expected! Good luck and congratulations!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search