Delaying ovulation

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mamatomany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
I am a teenager and usually only have sex with my boyfriend if when I'm not ovulating or on the days around ovulation. However, last night we had unprotected sex and I'm supposed to be ovulating tomorrow. I know that sperm can stay up to about 5 days so is there anyway to delay ovulation?
May 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Super Mommy
The short answer is no. However, ovulation prediction is not an exact thing, so you might not ovulate tomorrow. There's really no way to know. If you've been tracking very consistently and have had a temperature dip today then it's pretty likely. Though that also doesn't garuntee a pregnancy. Also, sperm has been found to live as long as 7 days more recently, so keep that in mind.

On a very serious note, ovulation is NOT in any way easily predictable. Over the course of my childbearing I have had early, late and even double ovulation (twice in one month). What does this mean for you? Ovulation tracking as the sole means of contraception when you absolutely don't want a baby is NOT a good choice for birth control. Sister, I'm assuming by your question that you don't want to be pregnant right now. Please, please, please, get on some form of birth control. There are shots, there are implants, there are daily pills, there are diaphragms for you or condoms for him. But please take control of your fertility, and don't create a life together that you don't want, and end up aborting your baby because you weren't ready. You are in a good position now to prevent, so please do. As someone who has gotten pregnant four times using ovulation tracking as a means of 'prevention' I want you to find another route. In my case, we wanted kids, so we didn't mind that they didn't come right when we planned. In your case, you don't want them yet, so pick a more reliable method.

Best wishes,
Keakie likes this.
May 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you do not want to get pregnant you should take emergency contraception ( like Plan B) as soon as possible. It's most effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex/birth control failure. It works by delaying ovulation however it will not effect a pregnancy that's already started. You can also see your Dr and have a copper IUD placed as emergency contraception and it works as birth control for up to 10 years. It works best if placed in the first 5 days after unprotected sex.

In the future you need to be responsible and get yourself on a reliable method of birth control. You can get these in most cases from your GP or OB/GYN. You can also get them for low cost/free at your local Planed Parenthood, health department, and/or women's clinic. Ovulation is very hard to predict in even the most healthy woman with regular cycles. If you are using a cell phone app to track your cycles you should know that they only give you an estimated date and not a solid scientific one. Your body could do something completely different. I've personally tracked my ovulation via temping and OPKs and I've NEVER ovulated on the same day in any given month.

You should also be using a condom EVERY time. Not only do they help prevent pregnancy they also protect against most STD/STI's. If you've had unprotected sex you really should be checked for them and then retest in 6 months because some infections take a while to show up.

If you do end up pregnant (you can reliably test in two weeks) you have options available to you. I highly recommend that you see a pregnancy/family planning councilor so that they can go over all of your options with you and give you all the info you need to make the right choices for yourself. Good luck and please feel free to message me if you have any questions. I teach sex ed so there is nothing you can ask that I haven't heard a million times!

May 27th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully, you've already taken Plan B b/c it only works up to 72 hours after the mistake. I apparently ovulated (late) two days after my own incident and didn't think anything of it b/c I thought I had already ovulated. Well, I'm here wrestling with the idea of having twins from that oops moment.

Introducing the Minis

Tags
ovulation , preventing pregnancy , unplanned pregnancy. teen , unprotected sex

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search