Just found out Im pregnant, no health insurance, where do I go from here?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mamatomany
  • 2 Post By MIL2lissy8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Please help!
I wasnt trying to get pregnant. But my fiance and I got careless one day, and well, now we're expecting. Im feeling totally confident about this. Except for one HUGE problem. I have no health insurance, and I havent seen a doctor except at a clinic to confirm pregnancy.
If anyone has any ideas on how I go about getting insurance, or how to see a doctor without it (up until 2 years ago I was under Tricare my whole life, so I have no clue how it works seeing a doctor with no insurance).
June 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Congratulations to you! Most (if not all?) states have health care programs for women. I'd start Googling your state and health insurance for women. Or you can probably call a state reps office, or even the clinic that you went to. Sometimes it's listed in the phone book (although that's the old fashioned way )

If not, and in the meantime, I would think you could go to a Planned Parenthood and they could help. They likely would even be able to tell you how to go about getting insurance from your state.
June 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I called Planned Parenthood and they said they could help me apply for pregnancy Medicaid. And I asked if they could help me with advice on how to take care of myself and baby in the meantime and she said "we don't deal with pregnant patients here" and that totally blew my mind.
June 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Super Mommy
You got some great advice on getting health care! I also think you should call a crisis pregnancy center in your area. They usually can give a free ultrasound, and often have other things to offer and Love helping pregnant moms! It's so much fun to get that first early glimpse of your baby if you can. Congratulations!
MIL2lissy8 and laurenr4261 like this.
June 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
planned parenthood is NOT about birthing babies~~ they get rid of them!! that said, congrats! i hope you can get the medicaid - i am pretty positive you will. buy some prenatal vitamins and take them; they are sold over the counter. eat right, rest, drink lots of fluids, don't drink or smoke or do drugs and wean off caffeine if you drink it. your gonna be fine!!!!
Myopia and laurenr4261 like this.

~~terre~~
June 25th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the awesome advice. I just really want to get to a doctor and hear my babies heart beat. And I'm also confused about the whole due date figuring. I'm just going to have a busy few days trying to get this all straightened out. I will NOT be speaking to or going into a Planned Parenthood again. I know they do abortions, but the fact that I'm keeping my baby is no reason to be rude to me.
July 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I'm in the same situation. I went to planned parenthood for my ultrasound, and they were very polite and good with me even though they knew I was keeping the baby. They are helping me hook up with doctors and programs for prenatal care.
July 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Apply for state assistance. You should be able to go to the health department or social services. Just tell them you are pregnant and don't have insurance and they will help you.
July 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of Planned Parenthood but I do think it's odd that the person on the phone was so rude and unhelpful. I would try to call back and speak to the supervisor. Perhaps this person was undertrained or something. I've always been under the impression that PP does assist pregnant women. Maybe it's only a few clinics?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Super Mommy
Dont forget to apply for WIC.

All the best. Most OBs w0nt see you until you are about 8 weeks anyways.
August 10th, 2013, 06:15 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There should be other programs in your area, if you are not in a rural area, besides medicaid, WIC, PP, and pregnancy crisis center. Where I live there are some churches that help you with getting necessities for yourself and baby; like maternity clothes, crib, baby clothes, etc...There are some times places that will give you a free car seat and show you how to properly install it in your car. WIC, pregnancy crisis center, and your local hospital are all good places to ask about these local community programs.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search