Pregnant, in college, confused

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainbow Momma
  • 1 Post By jes81878
  • 2 Post By mamatomany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this board and am extremely torn about what to do. I found out I was pregnant yesterday. I am in college and I am planning to go to medical school in about 2 years after I finish my Bachelor's. I am 22 and my boyfriend is 31. He already has a child who is 10 years old. When I told him the news he told me it was my choice. He's always been very supportive and proud of how driven I am in school and what I am striving to do. He cried and said "I see you hitting all your goals, all these marks you've planned, and I can't help but think if we have the baby you will be putting a stop to it all, you deserve to reach your goals, but I will be there for you either way"

My brother is 32 and his wife is 5 months pregnant. He too is very focused on me reaching my goals. Everyone is. I am the "pride and joy" of the family and I feel so irresponsible and guilty for being so careless. I know that if I keep the baby my life will change forever, but if I don't I don't think I would be able to forgive myself for it and I know it will push me away from my partner.

I've never been so confused in my life. I don't know if I will be capable of having a baby and reaching my goal of going to med school. I would have to move in with my boyfriend and start a new life... which I am not ready for. I am sorry for this long post. I just needed to know if anyone had ever had the same doubts.
December 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your life will change after you have a baby but that doesnt mean you have to give up on your dreams. Especially if you have a great support system, which it def does sound like you do, then its going to be that much easier to still reach your goals. Your family may be shocked at first but they would probably come around.

Every single person has always had doubts about the decisions they are making, even more so when we have another life we are responsible for, you are def note alone. We are here for you!
MummytoB likes this.
Mom to Ryden, Angel in Heavan 5/21/10

December 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
A baby would change your life, but he/she will not keep you from reaching your goals. People have obstacles and bumps in life, and we learn to adapt. I have a friend who is a mother to 3 kids decided to go to med school when her youngest started school. It was stressful for her (all 3 kids were involved in sports too), but she found a way to make time for her kids and her goals. Good luck with your decisions.
MummytoB likes this.
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

December 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Super Mommy
You are right, your life will change forever -- but that doesn't mean it will change for the worse! Having a baby in no way means you have to give up on your goals and having a relative who went through med school it's actually soooo much better to have your baby now then later. Having a baby now means that when you start med school your little son or daughter will be well past the infant stage and it will be much easier to go through the rigors of school. Universities and professors are very willing to be flexible and accommodating to pregnant and new mothers, and I have at least one friend who finished a demanding degree in music, delivered her baby in April, and graduated in May. Motherhood will bring great focus and even more maturity.

You have a great support network, and though they may be initially a little disappointed, once you've shown your commitment both to motherhood and to your calling as a doctor, they'll see your strength and welcome this little one with open arms!

Don't stress! The incredible joy you will find in mothering this little baby will be a delight and encouragement to you as you continue to work through your schooling. You've got this!
MummytoB and Rainbow Momma like this.
December 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lots of parents become doctors My primary physician's office is a residency office, the last step before pushing all the baby doctors out of the nest and into the wild on their own. Many, if not most, of them have kids.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Tags
college , confused , scared , unplanned

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search