42 days since last period... need help :(

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainbow Momma
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By jumpingoffplace

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2013, 07:08 PM
Hi I'm new here. 20 yrs old... I'm delayed on my period, but not trying to conceive...

My last period was on Nov 20-23 (4 days). I had sex with my bf on the 25th (2 days after my period). We only do it during the safe days(before and after period), withdrawal method.

Today is the 42nd day since my last period. HPT this morning was negative, and
also on December 27th was negative...

I also had really bad stomach cramps this morning, and last night I felt my
breasts were full and when I peed I felt "like I would have it" but it didn't
come out.

I have a regular cycle but it keeps on getting longer.

june 10 - 27 days
july 7 - 29 days
august 5 - 35 days
sept 9 - 34 days
october 13 - 38 days
november 20 -?

I am wondering if I am irregular again since there was a time that I didn't have
period for 3 months and became irregular -OR- am I getting preggy? We are
planning to get tested this coming Saturday in a facility if I still won't get
my period by Friday (45th day)

Would like to hear some thoughts/opinion with my situation, thanks
January 1st, 2014, 01:36 AM
Super Mommy
If you only had sex two days after your period it is very, very unlikely that you are pregnant. I would schedule a doctors appointment and get some blood tests done to see if there's a hormonal issue throwing your cycle out of whack.
January 1st, 2014, 09:44 PM
yes that's what me and my bf are planning if I still don't have it by friday. I really had bad cramps this morning...

can anyone confirm if you can get pregnant when you have sex after period? I am not really so sure about this
January 1st, 2014, 11:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can get pregnant at any time, even when ON your period. That's why the withdraw method has the highest failure rate of all forms of birth control. Many people who do withdraw also practice the rhythm method where the woman takes daily basal temps., tracks everything, etc. But your cycle MUST be regular for it to work at all, and even then it still has a higher failure rate than condoms, pills, etc.

Because your cycles are long and irregular (some women with long cycles can ovulate twice between periods, btw) you need to talk to your doctor about why that is happening and if hormonal BC can get it back on track. Until then, use condoms. If the cramping gets too awful or you develop a fever, go to the ER.

Edit: actually, see your doctor right away. You may have a UTI. That would explain the cramps and the urge to pee without anything happening.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Last edited by MerinSun; January 1st, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
January 2nd, 2014, 02:19 AM
my cycle prior to this was actually regular, but seeing the trend, it's getting longer.

so you can actually ovulate twice without even knowing it?
January 2nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup! It's rare, but has been known to happen. A woman can actually get pregnant by two different men during the same cycle that way. Again, rare, but known to happen. Pretty much, if you're fertile and your partner is fertile you can get pregnant at any time.

I would definitely get seen by your doctor today (if you haven't already made an appointment) for a possible UTI. You want to stay on top of that because it can spread to your bladder and kidneys pretty fast. I would also discuss with your doctor this new and sudden change in your cycles. It could be a lot of things, including just stress. But a woman's disrupted cycle can be a sign of other things.

If you do continue to use the withdraw method I strongly recommend that you pick up a few books about natural planning methods and join a support group. I will caution you that doing this will still leave you with greater odds of a pregnancy. Only continue the withdraw method/natural family planning if you are comfortable with the idea of getting pregnant in the next year or two. Some women can use these methods to avoid getting pregnant for a few years, but the majority of women do not see such high success rates. If you are not prepared for a pregnancy, I urge you to find a more statistically reliable method. There are a lot of different kinds to suit most women's needs

Hope that helps and good luck!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

January 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i know longer periods is a sign of PCOS but i just had a cycle last 43 days out of the blue and got AF symptoms which are very similar to preggo symptoms at day 39. i say if the hpt came out neg at this point than you're prob just having a longer cycle.
MerinSun likes this.
Mom to Ryden, Angel in Heavan 5/21/10

January 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM
just an update, I already had my period last thursday, january 2 (43rd day)
January 5th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's good :-) but still do see your doctor.
missy123 likes this.

January 5th, 2014, 10:54 PM
does Stress contribute to having delayed periods? I think my cycle settled to 35-38 days since August. I remember we quarreled during the week I was supposed to have it (holiday season) if we follow a 35-day cycle. I think we quarreled 3x on a Tuesday, once on Wednesday and a little on Friday til Sunday during that week prior to posting here in the forums
January 6th, 2014, 05:18 AM
jumpingoffplace's Avatar Love the life you live.
Yes, stress can delay your period- as can a lot of other things. It's still a good idea to see your doctor since you're cycle has changed and that can mean a lot of other things too, besides stress.
MerinSun and Rainbow Momma like this.

Proud mom of 2 beautiful children (and one on the way!), Desiree (3) and Austen (2). Desiree has autism but that just adds to her sparkle.

06/2007 10/2008 ~Gone but not forgotten.~

Software engineering consultant and state autism advocate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search