Just saying hello!

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Hi,

I introduced myself in the intro forum but I thought I'd say hello in here as well.

My name is Jenny or Bubbles and I recently found out that I'm preggers. I'm 19 years old but I AM married. We got married on June 23rd and I had my period some time right after that. We went on our honeymoon (3 day party in a cave) a week after we got married and I'm pretty sure that I got pregnant after we came back (according to the 14 days after the first day of your last period thing). I was under the impression that I couldn't get pregnant because I had tried to get pregnant with previous boyfriends for months and months at a time with no baby (stupid I know)... I guess I can though. Anyway, this was really unexpected and we are very unprepared financially, mentally, physically, emotionally and every other way possible. Any advice is welcomed!

Also, I'm looking for cheap but trendy/cute maternity clothes, so if anyone has any links or suggestions please throw them my way!

Thanx,

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
August 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi,
Well, first off Congrats. I know this is an unexpected surprise for you, but in just a little bit, you'll have a totally different look on this situation. It's always the first little bit (and then the last little bit before baby is born) that you feel scared and unsure.
At least you're married though. That's the one thing you'll find will make things a tad bit easier on you. There was a post a few months back about how when you tell ppl you're pregnant (strangers) or when they strike up a conversation with you about your pregnancy, seems they always check for a ring on the finger if you're young. Many of us on here don't have the ring! lol But you do, so at least you can shove it in their faces when they look for one!
Try to take things one day at a time. I know it sounds so stupid! But it's all just a matter of putting things into perspective. One, you won't forever be financially unready for this. Two, give it a few months, and you'll be more than emotionally prepared for this baby, because you'll have grown so attached to him/her. Three, trust me, physically, it's amazing how much your body can handle physically! lol You'll be amazed at what you're body can do when it's pregnant!
I honestly thought that we were screwed financially! I was in a new relationship (5.5 months into it), no wedding ring, a crappy paying job, we weren't even living together...it was a terrible situation for a baby to come into the picture...but amazingly we just somehow made things work. We stayed together, moved in together, worked hard together, saved our money together...and poof! We're doing just fine! I'm not gonna lie and say we have tons of cash to spare, but we're making it, and that's all that matters.
Ppl tend to make babies sound sooooo expensive! They are, but not as bad as ppl make them out to be! For one, you can breast feed and that's free food for baby! You can find some great baby furniture at thrift shops for cheap, and then you can either work on fixing it up to look new again, or you can just clean it up..basically, you just need to be creative! Also, there's a reason why ppl have baby showers! lol You can find some cheap new furniture too, at Walmart actually. That's what we did. Crib: $150 Dresser: $120 Change table: 120 So for the whole shabang we only paid about $390 and that was over the course of 6 months. So it's totally manageable if you set aside a bit of cash. Also, there's tons of cheap clothes there too. But you'll get tons of it at your shower so only get about 10 onesies (they come in a package of three for about $10) , a few undershirts, 4 sleepers, 4 pairs of socks and a few little bonnets or hats. If your baby will be born when it's cold outside, pick up a few little sweaters, or if you have a gramma or great aunt or a mom that likes to knit, they can knit some for you. Have these all in newborn sizes or at the very least 0-3 months size. This will last you about a month or so. (sometimes longer depending on how your baby grows). Wait until your shower to see what ppl get the baby before rushing to the store and getting a whole wack of stuff. This will help you manage your finances. And by doing this, you'll find you'll have a bit more cash to spend on those cute little things in the end!
As for Maternity clothes...I found the best way to do it, was to borrow from friends who have some, and also thankfully the style right now allows pregnant women to wear normal main stream clothes! They have those cute baby doll shirts, or those long t-shirts/tank tops...Those baggy tops that look wicked with a pair of jeans and boots....or even those dresses that flare out and make lots of room for the big belly. And it's a lot cheaper to buy main stream stuff than it is to by maternity clothes. You'll want to get yourself at least two good pairs of actual maternity pants (one pair jeans, and one pair of nice black pants). Shirts you can find some anywhere right now that'll fit you during your pregnancy! Thank god for todays style!!! I don't know where you live but I did most of my "maternity" shopping at Garage and Dynamite, and Le Chateau.
Well, I've rambled on and on! So I'll sign off. If you ever need to talk feel free to email me at btaillefer101@hotmail.com or PM me.
Take care!
August 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
a good idea on things to buy cheap is garage sales. we bought our son's stroller combo carseat at one for only $60 and its one that normally runs $180 and up, as well as clothes(almost all of his clothes we got at grage sales, one day we spend $40 and we filled up half a closet and 2 dawrs(sp) of a dresser). If you have a Birthright around they are very helpful ladies and i got a lot of maternity clothes from them and when you have your baby they give you a layett basket of clothes for the baby from 0-24mo.

August 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Ms. Bubbles and congrats on your pregnancy! You will get used to the idea I promise...I was literally in shock and completely devestated for weeks but now I am in looove with my little girl For maternity clothes I love Old Navy and eBay has some great stuff too! Also look at garage sales and www.craigslist.org has great used baby items! I got an entire wardrobe of adorable clothes in great condition for my daughter for $20 on craigslist!
August 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Thanx everybody!

Even though the pregnancy was a surprise, I know that I would be devastated if anything happened to it. I'm eating healthier than I ever have and I'm exercising too (which is all very new to me ). I'm trying to do everything in my power to give this baby a healthy start. I'm still a little worried about finances but I'm sure that everything will fall into place.

Thanx for all the ideas!

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
August 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I've been married to my DH for a year now, but when I got PG we were married for 8 months, and so didn't think we were ready. This was a surprise baby, and sometimes it takes a little while to come to terms with things, for me it wasn't the baby it was the financial situation and the fact that we're so young. I'm sure you guys will adjust fine, and will be awesome parents.

As far as clothes, ebay is awesome to find cool maternity clothes on. I love Old Navy's pants and wife beaters, they're the best IMO.
August 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter was a honeymoon baby

I got my maternity clothes at thrift stores. Found some great stuff that was hardly worn at all!

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
August 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always found great deals at the GAP .. they always had sales on maternity clothing when i went in, like 3.00 for a shirt...

ebay.com (we found a changing table for 13.00)

and second hand stores..

Congrats to you and your husband!!!

August 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy!! I had to post here because I had a delicate finatial situation when my dd was born and everything was fine
We got an awsome crib for her in Ikea (do you have an Ikea where you are?)..it was $140 with the matress and all and I LOVED it! It was just a plain white crib but it also turned into a toddler bed which was great!! I got all the bedding in there too and it was SUPER cheap and I loved the bright colours
I got a changer for $20,a high chair for $30...its SO cheap in ikea and I actually love their line of products,they are clean cut and the bedding is really colourful
My in laws bought us our stroller and we got tons of clothes as gifts too..babys are NOT as expensive as everyone makes them sound Its bigger kids that are exoensive! lol (6years +,thats when they start asking for things like computers and video games etc lol).
I hope you have a great pregnacy,you´ll be fine!!!

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

August 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
collegegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
EBAY EBAY EBAY!!!!!! It is the best way to go, I swear! Yard sales are great too!

If you haven't already, you should go apply for medicaid right away!!!! If you're not sure if you're eligible, go find out. Every little bit helps!
__

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search