Would you find out...

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Regular
My husband and I have been going back and forth about whether we should find out the sex of our child. With our first child, we found out that he was a boy. I am not sure if we should wait or not. I was wondering what you ladies thought. Did you find out the sex of your babies? If you haven't had a chance yet, are you planning to find out the sex? For the mom's who did find out the sex, did it take away from your pregnancy because there was no surprise?

I am just looking for some feedback, please.
August 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
we found out so we knew what to buy, df didn't want to buy anything for the baby till we knew what sex it was

August 15th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i found out! i couldnt wait..i think finding out gets u more excited because u could go to the store and buy boys or girls clothes and not have to wonder what your having

August 15th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I found out...and I found out early too (at 12 weeks!) At first I thought I was sooo lucky to be the first in my DDC to know, and now I feel a little bummed because I don't have the buildup and exitement for the "BIG" ultrasound, it is kind of dissapointing...I wouldn't say it took away from the pregnancy though. I found that it was much easier to bond with my baby knowing that she was a girl. I can call her by her name, buy her the cute little outfits and everything, it's kind of cool. It was also good because I was kind of convinced I was having a boy and was calling her Julian, if I had continued to do that for 9 months she might have come out a little confused! But I'm thinking I might want the next one (if there is a next one lol!) be a surprise. My mom was like that with both me and my sister, she didn't even look at the U/S when they gave it to her b/c she didn't want to know what we looked like and b/c she was afraid to get an accidental peek, and she always talked about what an emotional experience it was when the doctor announced "it's a girl!" (well, actually the idiot doctor said "it's a boy!" when my sister was born and then 5 seconds later he said "oops, sorry it's actually a girl!) Maybe when you get the U/S have the Doc write it down and put it in an envelope, and then you can decide when and if you want to open the envelope and find out!
August 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't find out what I'm having... people yell at me for it all the time but I think it's more fun this way. Instead I always have people guess based on how I'm carrying (so far everyone is guessing a boy). My room is done up in sage, cream and tan (teddy bear theme) that also comes in a pink pattern, so if I end up having a girl, then I can always add pink pieces later.

I think it's a much bigger suprise finding out after you've delivered the baby, as compared to the ultra sound where they can never really say they're 100% positive.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

August 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
We found out just for the sole purpose of being able to buy everything gender appopriate. We didn't have a special ultrasound for it however. My doctor scheduled a 20 week 4d u/s to look at all the major organs and such and we had the option to find out or wait. I don't think it has taken away from my pregnancy experience at all. I'm really glad to know what we're having and it just adds to my excitement to think about what she will look like, etc. I think it's really an individual/personal choice though.
Amanda
August 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
blondie.. i have to ask, how did you find out at 12 weeks? was there additional testing done then, like am amnio?... i[/b]
No I actually had a Level II Ultrasound done (my ex has a history of Downs in his family so they wanted to check for it) and I just happened to have a really good tech, and she happened to be in the right position...and they told me that usually if it is a boy they can see something between the legs even at that early of a stage and there was quite clearly nothing there, so they said girl and they were right!
August 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Steph82418's Avatar Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Steph82418
I plan on finding out what i am having, that way they have have the cute girlie cloths, or the pimp boy cloths, and all the accessories to match!

</div>
August 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
irishxrose
I HATE surprises, so I always have to find out. I was the kid who would undo the wrapping on Christmas presents in the middle of the night and then rewrap them.

I found out at 12 weeks like Blondie. I had to have a Level 2 ultrasound done because I had been taking a bi-polar medication before I found out I was pregnant, and they wanted to make sure Joshua was growing correctly. I found out then that it was a 90% chance I was having a boy. At 16 weeks, I had another level 2 done, and that confirmed it. Joshua was flashing the camera full on. I had a lot of ultrasounds done so each time it just confirmed it.

OOO funny story! At my last ultrasound when I was 36 weeks, Joshua WASN'T flashing us (the first time he hadn't lol). We had never seen this ultrasound tech, so she was like "Do you want to find out the sex" and we decided to play it off to her that we didn't know. So she was looking around, and said that she couldn't see his penis. Jason got worried lol. Then Jason pointed to this little circle on the ultrasound and asked what it was. The lady goes "Those are his testicles. Girls don't have those." We cracked up laughing because she said it so seriously. Anyway that probably doesn't sound funny but it was to us... ahem. I'm rambling.
August 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
ro8821's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I found out...and I found out early too (at 12 weeks!) At first I thought I was sooo lucky to be the first in my DDC to know, and now I feel a little bummed because I don't have the buildup and exitement for the "BIG" ultrasound, it is kind of dissapointing...[/b]
Rebecca! You may say that you don't have the buildup.. But I'll tell you.. You had us going there for a second.. I think we were all in SHOCK!!!!

Oh. But Yes! I plan on finding out the sex.. Actually thats TOMORROW!!!!!
THINK PINK

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE>

August 15th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I found out...and I found out early too (at 12 weeks!) At first I thought I was sooo lucky to be the first in my DDC to know, and now I feel a little bummed because I don't have the buildup and exitement for the "BIG" ultrasound, it is kind of dissapointing...[/b]
Rebecca! You may say that you don't have the buildup.. But I'll tell you.. You had us going there for a second.. I think we were all in SHOCK!!!!

Oh. But Yes! I plan on finding out the sex.. Actually thats TOMORROW!!!!!
THINK PINK
[/b]
LOL I know I'm so evil Its better than what I did to my mom...I told her they were wrong and it was TWIN boys she started to cry!

Sending lots of pink dust your way
August 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Pharry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out, and the only reason that I did that was because I was a single parent and I really wanted to know what I was buying and all that, and it helped make it easier and more real to me cause I was talking to him and telling him that mommy loved him and she was so proud of "us"

Besides I always wanted a son for my first child so there was no way they were keeping that away from me. But i guess next time I am going to wait and be surprised. And there will definitely be a next time, God willing.
August 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
When I first found out I was preggers I was thinking about waiting and letting it be a surprise but the more I thought about it there was no way I could wait. I have to find out! Also found out yesterday that I am having twins! so now I MUST know! Its nice to have a surprise if you decide to wait but I think I am jsut too nosey or just plain impatient to wait it out. good luck with everything.
August 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
lilsquirt2005's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to lilsquirt2005 Send a message via MSN to lilsquirt2005 Send a message via Yahoo to lilsquirt2005
We found out the sex because we wanted to plan ahead of time and get stuff ready and know what we have to get.
September 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
We chose not to find out and I am very happy with that decision!

I loved hearing "its a girl" at her birth
September 7th, 2006, 09:09 AM
JenElly's Avatar Veteran
I've never understood the "we want to be suprised" argument. Isn't it always a suprise? That being said, I wasn't sure w/ Elly I wanted to find out, but I decided to, if the tech could tell me she was sure. However, the tech couldn't tell for sure, but gave me the girl guess, but said since she couldn't see any parts at all, she could be wrong. Ethan really wants to find out if/when we have a child, and I have no problem with that. It helps in planning. Also, if might keep me from buying too much stuff if I knew I was having another girl. (Although we'd have boy hand-me-downs from Ethan's nephew.) Now, if I had one of each and was expecting my third, I might not find out. I didn't mind not knowing, but I think I would've liked to been able to have a bit more gender specific-ish stuff than all the neurtral baby stuff I had. Of course, I didn't have my showers until hafter she was born, so I did get a TON of girly stuff then! I'm no help, I've just rambled for a paragraph!

siggies made by friends from another site

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search