Speaking of formula...

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Okay so as most of you know I plan on FFing our daughter. I've read in several of my pregnancy magazines that you usually use the brand that they use on your baby at the hospital. So my question is, I have no idea what brand that is so should I just buy the brand that I want to use or wait and get it after she's born?

Amanda
September 18th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, here's my advice: Screw what they tell u about feeding them the same stuff as in the hospital!! lol We read the same thing, and then when we had her, they were giving her Enfamil (spelling?)but we had already gotten some Good Start...So in a panick I asked the nurse if I HAD to keep her on the Enfamil and if yes, why didn't they ask me first about the formula brand!!!! She said not to worry, I can feed Fiona whichever I want at home and it won't hurt her a bit!!!
The other thing that really sucks about them telling you this, is that usually hospitals use the more expensive brands...so if this were ACTUALLY true, you'd be stuck buying 30$ formula vs. 20$ formula! And trust me, saving that 10$ goes a long way when you have a baby!!!! lol
hope this helps!
Brigitte
September 18th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Thanks, Brigitte! I was thinking along the same lines as you. I wanted to make sure to put her on the formula that is best suited for her and if the hospitals just give one particular kind to all babies that doesn't really help lol.
Amanda
September 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry... butting in.

The best advice I ever got was from our pediatrician... he said that all formula companies are so highly regulated that the best thing you can do is buy generic. We buy Parent's Choice from walmart ($11 for the huge can). It's almost identical in texture to similac, and it comes in all the major varieties... organic, lactose free, gentle, etc. Formula is so expensive anyway, and it's because the major companies (enfamil and similac) spend millions of dollars marketing it to women who have no clue what they're doing. It's their first baby, they're frustrated with breastfeeding, they're getting all these "gifts" (like travel bags) from the hospital... why not go with that brand? The truth is, you can crunch the numbers and see that all those freebies are costing them next to nothing when compared to the formula "converts" they win over. Go with whatever your baby tolerates the best, and if that type happens to come in a generic form, try it as well. Chances are, it's going to work just fine!
September 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
irishxrose
Hun, you can use whatever formula you want, but I'm telling you, don't use Similac. It SUCKS. Nestle Goodstart is really good, and Joshua took to it really well, until we realized he had reflux, and then we switched to Enfamil AR.

You use what works best for them.
September 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Sorry... butting in.

The best advice I ever got was from our pediatrician... he said that all formula companies are so highly regulated that the best thing you can do is buy generic. We buy Parent's Choice from walmart ($11 for the huge can). It's almost identical in texture to similac, and it comes in all the major varieties... organic, lactose free, gentle, etc. Formula is so expensive anyway, and it's because the major companies (enfamil and similac) spend millions of dollars marketing it to women who have no clue what they're doing. It's their first baby, they're frustrated with breastfeeding, they're getting all these "gifts" (like travel bags) from the hospital... why not go with that brand? The truth is, you can crunch the numbers and see that all those freebies are costing them next to nothing when compared to the formula "converts" they win over. Go with whatever your baby tolerates the best, and if that type happens to come in a generic form, try it as well. Chances are, it's going to work just fine! [/b]
I agree... I'm breast feeding my just today I got two 12 oz canisters of Enfamil in the mail for free. I'm sure at some point I'll be switching over to formula so they're good to have now....

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

September 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Breastfeed! It's cheaper than any kind of formula you can buy! Just playing... do whatever you feel is best for you and your baby... I'm no help. hehe

</MARQUEE>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search