just wondering...

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Regular
i was just wondering if there are any SINGLE girls out there around the age of 18 and just found out that they are pregnant...cuz im in that situation and i honestly dont know wut to do...so how did u guys tell ur parents? how did they handle it? wut are u doing for money? and do u work? so on and so forth... any other inputs are appreciated, thanks.

caela
September 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Welcome to JM and congrats on your pregnancy! My name is Amanda, I'm 20 years old, engaged, and expecting baby #1 on October 8th. Believe me single or not, telling your parents about an unplanned pregnancy can be a challenge. We told all of my fiance's family first (they were excited) and the last person I told was my mom. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. When I first told her she thought I was joking for about 5 minutes of our conversation and then she woke up and realized I was telling the truth. The best thing IMO to do is to just tell them up front. Putting it off will only make the anticipation worse and that much harder for you to tell them. My mom was really in shock at first, but didn't overreact or anything. Money wise, there are a lot of programs that help single or wed moms to be. There are a few links posted at the top of the unplanned pregnancy board. Your local Health and Human Services office (depending on where you live) can help you get food stamps, medical insurance, and WIC which provides you with milk and other necessities throughout your pregnancy. I do not work right now and money has been VERY tight for us, but I'm going to go back to work hopefully 6-12 weeks after our daughter is born. They also to have programs that can help you with childcare costs after your baby is born. I hope that I was some help to you!! Congrats on your pregnancy again and if you ever need anything we got a great group of supportive girls here!!
Amanda
September 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Caela! I'm a 21 year old single mommy here! My parents actually took it pretty well...they were shocked at first and they told me that they thought I should terminate the pregnancy, but once they realized that I was going to keep the baby they were very supportive...but I also havent lived with them in a few years. It was Matteas father who didn't take it well-he was very much in shock and he had a very negative and angry reaction. What is your situation like with your childs father? Are you still in school? How far along are you? If I know more about your situation I will be able to give you better advice....
I do work, I am a receptionist which works out great because I don't really have to do anything just sit on JM all day and answer phones I'm planning on taking some time off after I have the baby and then working nights after she starts sleeping through the night again (most likely bartending, that's what I did before I got pregnant) I will also be going to school, but taking mostly online courses so that I can be home with my daughter as much as possible. I am saving my money right now so that I will have something to live off of when she is born and I am not working. You should look into social services in your area-often you can get assistance if you are below a certain income. There is WIC, subsidized daycare, rental assistance etc if you are not planning on living with your parents. I would also try to get enrolled in school. There are many grants you can apply for especially as a single mother if you can't afford college. It is very important to get an education-it's pretty much the only assurance that you will get a decent paying job, and that is something you will need. The healtcare feild is booming right now, if I were you I would look into a CNA, LPN or nursing program. The program is relatively short (usually under 2 years) and the field is well paying and in demand, plus the scheduling is flexible so you can work odd hours and be with your child as much as possible.
You need to look into your legal options too. This is not easy as I am coming to find, but if you are not working you can probobly qualify for legal aid. They can help you out with getting an order for child support if you want to pursue it...but again, not knowing what your situation is specifically I can't tell you one way or the other. But they can help you in any case to figure out what rights you have. Look in your yellow pages under legal services, LegalAid is a pro-bono service, so they don't charge you.
My best peice of advice for you is get a job NOW and start saving your money. Babies are not cheap, but you can save a LOT of money if you get secondhand stuff-consignment shops are great, so are websites like www.craigslist.org and www.freecycle.org I got a TON of stuff from craigslist, all great quality! Another good way to save once the baby gets here is to breastfeed. It is awesome for the baby, and you will save a ton of money by not buying formula. See if you can find a Le Leche League in your area, they will help you out with that.

Best of luck to you and I am here if you need any more advice or someone to talk to! I am new at this myself but I will help you out as much as I can. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
September 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to racerbabie6
hi, I'm Lauren and I am 17 and PG. If you want to e-mail me my e-mail is racerbabie6@aim.com...Would be more than happy to talk to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search