Prenatal Vitamins...did I start too late?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Marley'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
Hello all
I just introduced myself on the new members board and I am really ecxited to meet you all. It is such a relief to have other women to talk to, this is my first pregnancy, I am aprox three months along and I have my first doctors appointment in two weeks. So I am a late starter, and I have some fears and guilt about that.
I am not one to keep the best track of my periods, no red dots on my calendar. So, I didn't suspect I was pregnant until I was almost to miss my second period. I absolutely didn't want to believe I was pregnant and didn't go to a clinic until I did miss my second period. I don't use drugs and am not a big drinker...don't think I really drank at all in that time...but my diet wasn't very good. I would eat once a day maybe twice...not an eating disorder or anything like that just bad habit and I am a flight attendant and it's hard to eat when you fly and are at airports all day.
So to get to the point...I am worried that I started taking my prenatal vitamins too late combined with my poor eating habits, and just being plain ole naucious and not being able to keep anything down that I did eat...have I caused serious harm? I will talk to a doctor when I have my appointment, but I am wondering....

All other unplanned pregnancy moms out there.....when did you start taking your vitamins and taking better care of yourself for your baby?

Nervous and eager to hear your story!
Sarah

October 17th, 2006, 01:22 AM
cyutegurl
Quote:
Hello all
I just introduced myself on the new members board and I am really ecxited to meet you all. It is such a relief to have other women to talk to, this is my first pregnancy, I am aprox three months along and I have my first doctors appointment in two weeks. So I am a late starter, and I have some fears and guilt about that.
I am not one to keep the best track of my periods, no red dots on my calendar. So, I didn't suspect I was pregnant until I was almost to miss my second period. I absolutely didn't want to believe I was pregnant and didn't go to a clinic until I did miss my second period. I don't use drugs and am not a big drinker...don't think I really drank at all in that time...but my diet wasn't very good. I would eat once a day maybe twice...not an eating disorder or anything like that just bad habit and I am a flight attendant and it's hard to eat when you fly and are at airports all day.
So to get to the point...I am worried that I started taking my prenatal vitamins too late combined with my poor eating habits, and just being plain ole naucious and not being able to keep anything down that I did eat...have I caused serious harm? I will talk to a doctor when I have my appointment, but I am wondering....

All other unplanned pregnancy moms out there.....when did you start taking your vitamins and taking better care of yourself for your baby?

Sarah[/b]

Dont worry...I didnt start taking pre-natal vitamins until I was 4months along..cuz I didnt know...but my daughter is healthy and beautiful! Dont feel bad...atleast ur starting now =)
October 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey! Welcome and Congrats!! My sister, her b/f (who's also my b/f's brother), their mom and their other brother's g/f are all flight attendants too! lol What airline do you work for? They work for Air Canada.
Anyhoo, I wouldnt worry too much about the prenatal vitamins and starting on them too late...It's good that you're at least taking them. I had morning sickness that was pretty severe and they just made me feel worse, so i actually..,.um...never even took them throughout my ENTIRE pregnancy! lol I was a wuss! But Fiona came out perfect. So that's good!
Also, b/c I had such bad m/s, I couldn't hold down a single meal...I'd even throw up water. I was so worried that I wasn't giving my baby enough nutrition to thrive...but she made it through that too, so I also wouldn't worry too much about your diet prior to knowing. I think your little beaner will be just fine. But talk to your doc about it when you go, and I'm sure they'll reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.
But now that you know you are preggers, you can start to eat a little more frequently, even if that means a granola bar here and there, or a banana or something. Even if you don't really feel hungry you should make sure you're eating your 3 meals per day, and a few snacks in between. If you're worried about weight gain, just make sure you're eating healthy thats all.
So will you be finding out the sex of your baby in the next couple of months? If so, do you have names picked out already? lol I'm nosey!
I'm Brigitte btw...I have a 3, almost 4 month old baby named Fiona. I'm 24 and was 23 when she was born. She was totally unplanned too. But we love her just the same and wouldn't change a thing even if we could.
Good luck and we hope to see you around again soon!
Brigitte
October 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Brigitte pretty much summed everything up but I wanted to congratulate you and welcome you to JM and the unplanned board!! My name is Amanda, I'm 20 years old, and my daughter will be 2 weeks old this coming Saturday. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was about 5 or 6 weeks along, during which time I didn't take prenatal vitamins and I drank twice as well. I also had a very bad habit of forgetting to take my vitamins later on. My daughter came out fine! I did make sure to try and eat enough nutrients once I found out I was pregnant. Congrats again!!
Amanda
October 17th, 2006, 11:23 PM
LondonAndAthensMommy's Avatar Chillin' in Mommywood ;)
Send a message via MSN to LondonAndAthensMommy
I started taking them as soon as I found out I got pregnant.. a bit over 2 months pregnant..

Quote:
Hello all

Sarah[/b]

October 18th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Pharry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sure that as long as you are now taking them, all will be well, don't worry too much, all will be okay. Congrats on the pregnancy, and I hope you will enjoy it here.

BTW, I am Farry and a lurker, not pregnant, though had an unplanned pregnancy some time last year, and gave birth to a lovely son in March though he passed away in July.
October 18th, 2006, 03:59 AM
sarah1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
some people find they feel sicker taking them, I did, I was prescribed a vitiman called Preg-Vit, and it's 2 pills a day, a pink one in the AM and a blue one in the PM, this splits up the dose and I never once got sick after taking them, and felt alot more energized.
October 18th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hun don't worry for the first 3 months I didn't take a single prenatal because they made me soooo sick I would just end up throwing them up anyways...the doc said it was fine. I did NOT take care of myself for the first few months...I still smoked (although I cut back a lot) and I ate nothing but cookies 'n cream ice cream for about a month straight Basically, I did what I had to do to get through that miserable first trimester. It wasn't untill I hit about 15 weeks that I started really cracking down. Totally quit smoking, eat extremely healthy(well...for the most part ), and take my pre-natals religiously. And my little girl is doing great! So I wouldn't worry about it...trust me, talk to the other mommies here, none of us are perfect. As a matter a fact, check out the January DDC thread "confessions"...I started it yesterday to see if other mommies were being bad like me, and yup, they are!
October 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the boost in marale,
I am happy to hear that we have had similar situations and all of your babes have turned out healthy. All the worries and the fact the we are here to be better moms, we should all feel good about that.

Feeling pretty good regarding the M/S. Though being a flight attendant is about the worst job in the world if you are feeling sick ( altitude change and turbulance ). It's not fun so we'll see how long I last..ha.

Excited about my first DR visit...actually decided to go with a Nurse mid-wife...So happy I found this site and have this new mom support.

Thanks again for sharing and the encouragement...I plan to be active on this site and board and will post pics etc..and hope to chat more along the way.
Bless,
Sarah

October 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Hey! Welcome and Congrats!! My sister, her b/f (who's also my b/f's brother), their mom and their other brother's g/f are all flight attendants too! lol What airline do you work for? They work for Air Canada.
Anyhoo, I wouldnt worry too much about the prenatal vitamins and starting on them too late...It's good that you're at least taking them. I had morning sickness that was pretty severe and they just made me feel worse, so i actually..,.um...never even took them throughout my ENTIRE pregnancy! lol I was a wuss! But Fiona came out perfect. So that's good!
Also, b/c I had such bad m/s, I couldn't hold down a single meal...I'd even throw up water. I was so worried that I wasn't giving my baby enough nutrition to thrive...but she made it through that too, so I also wouldn't worry too much about your diet prior to knowing. I think your little beaner will be just fine. But talk to your doc about it when you go, and I'm sure they'll reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.
But now that you know you are preggers, you can start to eat a little more frequently, even if that means a granola bar here and there, or a banana or something. Even if you don't really feel hungry you should make sure you're eating your 3 meals per day, and a few snacks in between. If you're worried about weight gain, just make sure you're eating healthy thats all.
So will you be finding out the sex of your baby in the next couple of months? If so, do you have names picked out already? lol I'm nosey!
I'm Brigitte btw...I have a 3, almost 4 month old baby named Fiona. I'm 24 and was 23 when she was born. She was totally unplanned too. But we love her just the same and wouldn't change a thing even if we could.
Good luck and we hope to see you around again soon!
Brigitte[/b]
Hey Bridgitte,
I work for NorthWest based out of Minneapolis. I like the job but it is so hard when you feel sick...and embarrassing when you have to run and duck some where to be sick. Some passengers have seen me and get this really worried look....it is a sin to be sick on an airplane because people are terrified of germs...so I have let some know that I promise I'm not contagious...i'm pregnant....smile....get some relieved faces for sure!
I love that you're "nosey" ha...be as nosy as you want. I am so excited to be able to talk to someone about all this stuff. I havn't told my family yet...that will be soon...v nervous. So to answer your qu's...My boyfriend Kelvin and I haven't decided to know the sex or not...at the moment I am leaning towards no....I love surprises and this is a big one! Names we are still talking about...it's been on my mind alot...Fiona is a beautiful name and is acutally one I have considered. Here are a few....for a boy Asher....I have seen it on some lists here and was sooo surprised, it is v uncommon...I like it because it is the name of the main character in My all time fav book My Name is Asher Lev. For a girl...Waverly just popped into my mind one day, and I don't even know if I really like it...but it keeps sticking with me....Kelvin always has movis playing while we sleep, he likes the noise, and I am wondering if it subliminaly entered my consciousness through some movie...is there a movie with a Waverly in it? Ha ha it's a mystery. So thats me for now...we'll definately chat more...hope all is well with you and Fiona...smile.
Sarah

October 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
ro8821's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its never too late to start taking them..

every little bit helps

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE>

October 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
All the other ladies pretty much summed everything up. My first doctor appointment was at 8 weeks and 2 days pregnant, a little over two months. Before then I only ate one meal a day and a few snacks and thing before and after it. I smoked, and I will admit I still do though not as much as before, and I had a shot of tequilla about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I didn't get to start taking my pre-natals until l20 weeks because of being realy realy super sick ALL the time. My Midwife actually told me that it was ok not to take them because they'll just make me sicker and she said she advises her Moms who were as sick as I was to not start untill 20 weeks with them. So, I didn't. I'm 30 weeks pregnant, and my son is compleatly healthy, or so they tell me to the best of their abilities anyways. I've never had any problems durring my pregnancy, the only thing is that my teeth have gotten pretty bad because the baby was 'sucking' the calcium from my teeth because of not being able to take the pre-natals. I've developed a cavity in both of my wisdom teeth and one of them is breaking off because of this. That's basicaly the only visable thing that I or my doctors know of that not taking the pre-natals untill 20 weeks caused me. Also, I had a friend in High School who hid her pregnancy from everyone and she never took a pre-natal until lshe was about to have the baby and her daughter turned out perfectly fine. There's a woman in my DDC who is on her 5th pregnancy, and she has said that she never takes her pre-natal vitamins while she's pregnant and all of her kids seem to be fine. So I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way!!
October 29th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Better late than never! Now that you know, do all you can to be as healthy as possible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search