Is it THAT BAD?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I spent the night at my bfs house last night, and came home and the cat litter has now stunk up my WHOLE APT! It needs to be changed really bad. BF is gone today, visiting his dying aunt and nobody else around here knows except a good friend of mine who is out of town, that I am pregnant. Now, if I war gloves, a mask and take my clothes off and shower as soon as I am done, can I change it? I heard even the fumes are bad for you. I dont wanna be sitting in here all day with the fumes (cuz they stink too). BF wont be able to do it til tomorrow....if he gets off his butt.

HELP ME!
May 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to im a 1st time mommy
i have a cat too... i've changed the liter before and i just covered my face and wore gloves and left the window open to air out the stuff that gets stirred up when you pour the litler in, and washed afterwards. i'm pretty sure you'll be ok just don't make a habit out of it. my boyfriend usually changes it but every now and then i end up doing it.
May 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Melode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have a kittie and she really stinks so when i have to change her box i put a bandana or towel tied around my face and wear gloves and clean it outside and then i wash my hands and face, just try not to get the dust in ur body by breathing it in
May 31st, 2005, 06:56 AM
1proudmom2kalli
I'd say if you're only doing it once and wearing gloves and one of those dusk masks you should be fine. I think they just don't want you to do it habitually. If you are concerned about it, maybe call your doc and make sure before hand.
May 31st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Well, I did it. So hopefully nothing goes wrong. I felt so guilty afterwards that I cried and cried. I WILL NOT BE DOING THAT AGAIN. You guys should have seen me, I looked like I had a hazmat suit on!! Thanks for the advice!
June 1st, 2005, 06:38 AM
1proudmom2kalli
Do NOT feel guilty about it hun!! When is your next doctor's appointment? I am sure that everything is perfect!!
June 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
<span style="font-family:Arial">Jumping in here from the August DDC.
My SO has taken over the litter changing duties, but here is what I do know about the subject (I worked at an animal shelter and a pet store for 2 years).
The risk is really low of getting sick from changing the litter. If you have had a cat and always changed the litter, than your body has usually built up an immunity to the bacteria that could be harmful. Gloves are definitely a good bet. Also, dust free litter is the way to go, as is changing the litter frequently (every day or every other) and scooping the poop out daily....that way, bacteria does not breed.
It is really not something to get yourself stressed out about....my SO glady took over the duties, which is why I let him, but if he had not, I would be following the procedures I mentioned above. You can also use a disenfectant on the litterbox, but sometimes the kitty will not like this...and baking soda sprinkled in the box each time you change it helps GREATLY on the odor....
anyway....hope this helps!</span>
June 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
AustinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to AustinsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AustinsMommy
If you had a cat prior to getting pregnant you should be alright..you run into problems whenever you change brands of kitty litter to something your body is not used to. Still a good idea to stay away from kitty litter duty, but be sure to stick with the same brand of litter.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search