Ask Away

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
christianolivia's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to christianolivia
from the questions that I remember....

yes women can poop during labor, but it doesn't always happen. most likely even if you do though, you probably won't even know it.....with my first dd I did not poop, with my second dd I did, but I didn't know it, dh told me the next day lol. you are concentrating on other things like the pushing and pain from the contractions, so although it may sound hard to believe you probably won't feel it.

yes some women do vomit too. I did not vomit with either of my kids, but there were times when I felt like I was going to with my second dd. but I think that's only because I had just eaten a few hours beforehand, and I hadn't eaten all day with dd #1.

as far as getting out of bed after your water has broken, it depends on the doctors/nurses feeling about it.
with dd #1 my water broke naturally (hours before any contractions started) and they encouraged me to walk around (although for the most part I refused cause I hurt so bad I just wanted to lay down lol). with dd #2 they had to break my water and although they didn't say that I couldn't get up, they preferred that I only got up to go to the bathroom. In the very beginning they let me use the toilet in my birthing suite, but after labor progressed they would only let me go on their "labor toilet". it looks like an old persons walker with a big pot in it lol. that also brings something to mind...

sometimes you will (probably) feel like you have to poop, although you won't. the pressure of the baby coming down makes you feel like you have to poop. the nurses kept telling me that it was just the pressure from the babies, but I kept saying " I know when I have to poop!" lol, but it turns out they were right.

another thing people are not usually told is to be prepared that after the birth you may have nurses offer to help you change your pad! that suprised me! also, if you breastfeed the nurses may try to "help you", and I mean help you lol. with dd #1 they grabbed my boob without even asking and tried to "hold it right" for me!
that shocked the heck out of me lol.

I'm sure you've heard the fact that as soon as the baby comes out the pain stops, well most first time moms find this hard to believe (as did I my first time), but it really is true! the contractions go away as soon as the baby comes out. ( although they come back for the passing of the afterbirth, but much much milder pain).

I don't remember if there is a "standard wait time" before you can take a shower, but I didn't wait too long afterwards, I think I took mine a couple hours later?

the best way to push is like a pp said, push just like you're trying to poop. the nurses will probably tell you that too. with my first baby I pushed like I was trying to pee (since the baby wasn't coming out my butt I thought why push like I'm pooping? why not push like I'm peeing?" LOL, but it doesn't work well if you don't push right lol. also I realized that when they tell you to push "through the pain", that is such good advice!
with my first I'd push then squirm up the bed from the pain, but with my second, I learned and pushed through the pain and it went faster and smoother.

March 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is such great advice. things like this just arent taught in childbirth classes...

I love JM mommies!

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
March 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
Quote:
sometimes you will (probably) feel like you have to poop, although you won't. the pressure of the baby coming down makes you feel like you have to poop. the nurses kept telling me that it was just the pressure from the babies, but I kept saying " I know when I have to poop!" lol, but it turns out they were right.[/b]

HAHAHAHAHA This was one of my issues!!! I actually sat up and started screaming and yelling at the nurse about it........Until my mom told to to shut up and lay back down.....29 years old and I still do as my mom says lol about 2 hours later in a matter of 3 pushes and being told to wait for the Dr Shyla was born. Yup only 3 pushes.....so this whole first time moms push forever is a general thinking.....I was in labor for almost 24 hours but the nurse had me start pushing and Shyla's head popped out and she had to sit there and hold her head until the Dr came in a few mins later......but I also had an epidural to the point that I could have slept thru the whole birth if it weren't for my sister and mom telling me to push. I dont remember anything from about 1am to about 4:00 the day she was born.......and just remember small things about the actual delivery such as Her father not being there because he wanted a cig......So I will be honest I have a high tolerence to pain and I had back labor BADLY!!!! That's what finally made me get the Epi, Contractions do hurt like hell, and the recovery from being torn is painful....I had a 2nd degree tear only a couple more cm and I would have been torn from front to back for those who don't know about tears. But when it's all said and done you dont remember the pain you were in......My first words as soon as I was done was about her.......it wasn't until my dr told me stop moving she was trying stich me up that I realized I must have torn. and it went right back to Shyla......even after they had to take her to the Nursery I was starting to feel more down there and all I knew was that My baby wasn't there and I was gonna go see her!! so the got in a wheel chair and wheeled me to the nursery to see her. then to my recovery room where I showered went potty for the first time, and ended up having my first BM afterwards...which some will say is painful...but I didn't think so at all. and that's with stiches!!

You don't think about you anymore.....it's all about the baby. Even now 2 months later I'm sitting here at work and Shyla is at Grandpa's house sick....and you know the only thing I wanna do is go home and hold her and tell her how much I love her!!!

So you are scared now over something you won't remember until you are pregnant with your next baby, then you will get scared again......you are only scared because 1 you don't know about it and 2 because it's a life changing event. when the time comes your body and your heart will know what to do. just listen to them.

March 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
lvfunandfit's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was so nervous about labor and delivery for so long... Now that I've been havign contractions since 29 weeks (I'm 38 weeks now) and been in and out of L&D to have medication to stop the contractions...I"m ready! the pubic bone pain is so bad now, I'm so uncomfortable... labor doesn't scare me so much anymore. Being pregnant forever seems more scary. LOL I need to have this baby soon!

Check out Danika's website!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4pQs8L/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
waitin4ansleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
Quote:
did a doctor or midwife deliver the baby?[/b]
If this question was aimed at me... I had a dr. deliver my baby... I was seeing a midwife but I kept feeling like they weren't really listening to me... like when I told them I was in pain, like alot of pain... like went to the er pain... they just said oh thats pregnancy.. So I left them at 32 weeks.. good thing too... Apparently what I thougth were hemroids and what I had had since about 8 weeks into my pregnancy... what the midwife had been looking at every exam for the past 24 weeks... was actually HPV... and my dr. caught it on the first visit the first exam... So I was very happy I left.. lol.. yeah HPV was a gift from my baby's father... Gotta love it right!

Quote:
I was so nervous about labor and delivery for so long... Now that I've been havign contractions since 29 weeks (I'm 38 weeks now) and been in and out of L&D to have medication to stop the contractions...I"m ready! the pubic bone pain is so bad now, I'm so uncomfortable... labor doesn't scare me so much anymore. Being pregnant forever seems more scary. LOL I need to have this baby soon![/b]

Try doing pelvic tilts and other excersises like that... no I can't spell today... but it will help alot with the pelvic pain and pressure...

<div align="center">

Thanks dettmer26 for my siggy!

</div>
March 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I just wanted to add a few more things.....

(in my opinion) If you can avoid an episiotomy, DO! for me the healing time was a lot longer and more uncomfortable. with dd #1 I tore. the healing time was just a few weeks and not that bad (a little itching and "pulling" from the stitches healing, but that's pretty much it). with dd #2 my delivery doc was in a hurry and asked if I wanted one and I said no, but after being brow-beaten I finally agreed (heat of the moment decision-I did not want one). The healing time was twice as long and it felt weird "down there" even after I healed. (This obviously may not be the case for everyone, it's just my personal experience).

also, I highly suggest using the "sitz bath". It supposedly helps you heal better (I didn't get the chance to use it too many times so I can't say for sure), but I felt so much better every time that I did use it. some hospitals will give you one without asking, but if they don't, I highly suggest you ask for one! And whether you get one or not, DO use the peri bottle that they give you EACH and EVERY time you use the bathroom.
not only will you feel cleaner, that is also supposed to speed recovery time and prevent infection (if you have stitches). (For those of you that don't know what a peri bottle is, it's kind of like those small sports water bottles, you just fill them with warm water and squirt the water directly at your stitches/vagina).

I also highly suggest taking the stool softners they give you in the hospital, it will help a lot the first time you poop after delivery. and you may want to have some at home too, just incase! with both my kids I took them in the hospital and it helped a lot, then I continued to take them for a couple days after I got home, but after the first couple days I either got busy or just forgot, and oh man did I regret that! LOL. I know this is TMI, but just to help other women to avoid this happening to them I will tell you that since I stopped taking the stool softners pretty quickly, after a couple weeks it got (progressively) so bad that I ended up going to the doctors 3 or 4 times because the pain got so bad. they kept telling me to drink lots of water and eat lots of fiber (veggies), but that didn't help, so I went to a different doctor and found out that it hurt so much because I had fissures (small cuts on or in the opening to the anus). I was told that it was caused partly due to pushing too hard/long during labor and partly because I was dehydrated during my first delivery. and since I didn't use the stool softners for long it made it even more "dry" down there which caused the fissures to stretch during a bm, causing a lot of pain. again, sorry about the TMI, but I just wanted people to be aware of this possibility.

Oh yeah, I just remembered a question from one of the earlier posts.... as far as giving you the baby versus cleaning them up first.....with my first baby they just suctioned out her mouth and nose and wiped her face off and wrapped her up and put her on my chest for me to hold. they did the weighing and stuff a few minutes later. with my second baby they showed her to me but did all the weighing and stuff first. that part was weird for me though because the doc and "main" nurse left the room right after she came out and the "nurse in training" (or whatever you call her lol) stayed in the room doing stuff and I just layed there waiting to get her back, it was like 15 minutes before I got her back..I just thought that was weird compared to my first baby, but maybe they were just not prepared since I didn't show up to the hospital until an hour before she was born? who knows? lol.

ok, I'll stop running my mouth now lol.

ETA: both my kids were delivered by doctors in a hospital, I never used midwives or anything.

just had to add that lvfunandfit, your belly is beautiful!! I'm so jealous! I wish my belly looked that cute when I was pg!

March 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most of my questions were already answered, j

Do hospitals really make you shave before you give birth?

March 31st, 2007, 08:52 AM
You girls had some great advice.. thank you!
I'm nervous about an episiotomy... so many say not to get one. I keep meaning to talk to my dr about her views on them. I will on Monday at my next appt (since it looks like I won't be having my baby before... grrr..)

I will have to do the pelvic tilts. I keep forgetting about those!

and thank you christianolivia! you are too sweet! =)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4pQs8L/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 31st, 2007, 09:43 AM
i heard that the first time you pee after delivery is excruciating. true or false?

you ladies really have given us some great advice!

March 31st, 2007, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Most of my questions were already answered, j

Do hospitals really make you shave before you give birth?[/b]
I know they did that in "the old days", and I'm not sure how often it happens now, but they didn't do that to me with either of my kids.

Quote:
i heard that the first time you pee after delivery is excruciating. true or false?

you ladies really have given us some great advice![/b]
I'm not sure about everyone else, but it didn't hurt me at all to go pee after my births. although with my first dd I swear I must have peed for like 5 minutes! LOL.

Quote:
and thank you christianolivia! you are too sweet! =)[/b]
no prob!

April 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
Just wanted to add on some personal experience... take christianoliva's advice about the stool softners... cause even with them the first bm was a lil uncomfortable... I don't remember it hurting when I peed for the first time I just remember having to and not being able to... they will give you a squirt bottle to use, I found that it worked really well to help ease the burning during urination... And as for the episomities... ask your dr. about them... My dr didn't do one because he said he didn't want to cut what I didn't need... but at the same time they do them to help you out... however do ask for a local before they stitch if need be...

<div align="center">

</div>
April 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
i'm gonna refuse an episom....whatever its called. if it needs to be torn then the baby can do it. my mom had it with me and now has very little muscle control down there.

April 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
sarabella
Not sure if my mom had it or not.

She just had surgery to have her bladder lifted (omg you wouldn't believe how hard and long my sister and I laughed at that!!! She kept saying we'll know someday!! I'm sorry, it was still hilarious) and she claims it was from childbirth so I dunno.
April 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
One word ladies... Kegals... They are the exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and if you can master them they are fun during sex too... they help everything down there get back to normal after you ahev a baby and even help get everything ready for labor... I was grateful for them...

<div align="center">

</div>
April 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
i dont think i'm doing my kegals right. i signed up for antenatal classes today so hopefully i'll learn properly.

April 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
I spoke with my dr about the whole episiotomy issue... SHe said she doesn't like to do them unless the damage from tearing will be worse than the damage from cutting. She says healing from a tear is easier on the body. Whew!

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search