Ask Away

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
waitin4ansleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
So I was wondering what are ya'll fears about the labor process... there are so many people on here that can help and trust me when I say when you know what's gonna happen it makes it that much easier... becasue when your in the hospital, either in pain or heavily medicated... explainations really don't do anything to help you... they just confuse you with hospital jargon...

personally i was worried about not knowing when labor would begin... or even if i would know when my water broke...

I can say from experience that when its time you'll figure it out!! pressure and pain are the first clues but other than that you just kinda "know" and as for the water breaking thing... lol... it feels nothign like peeing... unless you really really really have to go.... it litterally is a waterfall even from lying on your back...

so whats your fear or questions? let see if we can find someone to answer and help out!

<div align="center">

Thanks dettmer26 for my siggy!

</div>
March 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Mommy2AvaRose's Avatar Super Momma
I am absolutely terrified about the whole labor process. I've read stories online, and heard good experiences and bad ones. I am terrified of having a long and hard labor. I'm a chicken, and to think that this baby that is growing inside me is going to come out in 5 months scares me to death. I know that he/she can't stay in there forever, and I would like to meet them, lol. I just don't want to be too drugged up, but I don't like pain either. Kind of a lose lose situation. I was thinking of trying to do a natural birth, but I know that I could never do that when the time comes, lol. And that HUGE epidural needle. Ugh I hate those too. But I know in the end I will be too happy to see the baby, and it will all of been worth it.

March 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I'm also terrified of labor and delivery. I've read a lot of stories and it just freaks me out. I remember reading an article in a Mommy magazine about what to expect during labor but I think it sugar-coated everything. I know there will be a lot of pain. I know it will be hard to push a watermelon out of a lemon! I know there is a chance of having a bowel movement while pushing. (EW) But what else can I expect?

</div>
March 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
irishxrose
I don't want to scare you girls too bad... My labor and delivery was horrific. But if you really want to know, just let me know and I'll post my birth story. I wish I had known more when I went into labor because I didn't realize how bad it could really get.
March 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
monkey71786's Avatar Super Mommy
i started labor early that the doctors had to stop it. After about two days of getting the shot my contractions started to happen again. I was in labor for about 3 weeks after that having 3 to 4 contractions a hour. but the doctor told me not to go till the contractions were 5 min apart for an hour.

From my experience when your body is about to go into labor, you don't want to eat anything. all you want to do is sleep and not move. I didn't even want to get up to go to the bathroom.

March 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM
AngelFire22's Avatar Super Mommy
My labor was pretty hard as well, the one thing i didn't know that maybe i should of is that when your a first time mom you could push for hours. I had to push for nearly 2 hrs. and it's exhausting! Really really exhausting! The only advice i could give is to read up and know what your going into, know about the meds and how they make you feel and the hospitals policy on giving them. Just be well informed

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
March 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm afraid i wont know how to push. do the nurses help you and give you guidance? or is it totally natural?

I'm also worried about what they do with the baby once its born. do they let you cuddle it and breastfeed straight away or do they give you a quick cuddle then take it away to be washed and examined?
is it heartbreaking to hear the baby cry so much or is it sheer relief that the little one is breathing and alive?

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
March 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM
sarabella
I have absolutely no tolerance for pain so I'm afraid of that. I'm afraid of having an asthma attack while in labor since I have pretty severe asthma. And ugh, I'm afraid of having a bowel movement!
March 27th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
Quote:
I am absolutely terrified about the whole labor process. I've read stories online, and heard good experiences and bad ones. I am terrified of having a long and hard labor. I'm a chicken, and to think that this baby that is growing inside me is going to come out in 5 months scares me to death. I know that he/she can't stay in there forever, and I would like to meet them, lol. I just don't want to be too drugged up, but I don't like pain either. Kind of a lose lose situation. I was thinking of trying to do a natural birth, but I know that I could never do that when the time comes, lol. And that HUGE epidural needle. Ugh I hate those too. But I know in the end I will be too happy to see the baby, and it will all of been worth it. [/b]

ok so I can understand this... hell when i went into the hospital to be induced I was still scared...

for the natural birth... once you find a way to manage the pain you could do it... See i never took any child birth classes because you always needed a partner and i didnt have one.. so the only way I dealt with the pain when it got bad was to just cry and tense up, which makes it hurt worse... take some classes.. if anything they help pass the time by faster!

And there are alot of pain medications that you can do... I chose the staydol method... its a med they put into your iv... it makes you sleep but it helps... It made me feel a lil woozy just because of how fast it made me tired but once that part was gone it was better... and trust me when i say your gonna wanna sleep... knowing whats coming kills your nerves and you couldn't sleep without help!

And the epidural needle... i never saw it and to be completely honest i didn't feel it.. by that time the staydol wouldn't work so I was feeling my contractions... I was terrified about it too... I was worried i would hurt my back in the long run (which is just a myth) and I was worried abotu feeling the needle... all you feel is the local they give you...

<div align="center">

</div>
March 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Quote:
I'm also terrified of labor and delivery. I've read a lot of stories and it just freaks me out. I remember reading an article in a Mommy magazine about what to expect during labor but I think it sugar-coated everything. I know there will be a lot of pain. I know it will be hard to push a watermelon out of a lemon! I know there is a chance of having a bowel movement while pushing. (EW) But what else can I expect?[/b]

you can expect that when the time comes... you will have forgotten that article... no ones gonna tell you if you pooped on the table they will just clean it up and they aren't even nearly as big as a watermellon... his head was 13 1/2 inches around... granted yes it hurt... but to be honest.. I was too busy worrying about meeting him and making sure he didn't have a 3rd ear somewhere I got that baby out... Find something you can focus on, something in your head or something you can look at and really concentrate... its a whole mind over matter thing at one point... theres not much else to expect... other than being completely and totally speechless when the baby comes... The dr. though something was wrong cause I couldn't even breath when I saw him lying on my belly... I didn't hear anything in that room other than his cries.. I didn't even move... I was in a daze... when they took him off my belly and put under the heat lamp I was just in awe.... I really think I did worry my dr. tho... cause in the video he's telling them to check my vitals... lol... I didn't expect that...

<div align="center">

</div>
March 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Quote:
i'm afraid i wont know how to push. do the nurses help you and give you guidance? or is it totally natural?

I'm also worried about what they do with the baby once its born. do they let you cuddle it and breastfeed straight away or do they give you a quick cuddle then take it away to be washed and examined?
is it heartbreaking to hear the baby cry so much or is it sheer relief that the little one is breathing and alive?[/b]

the first 2 "pushes" i didn't do it right at all so they attached the vaccuum... but then I realized where i was supposed to be pushing...you're its like you've got to poop... just on a greater scale... if you listen to your body, it will tell you what to do... the dr. pushed down on me down there to show me where to push but it didn't make any sense to me... the nurses will help... if you don't like your nurse in the beginning... ask for a new one... my second nurse was awesome!! especially when everyone was talking about food in the room and I hadn't eaten...

they put carson on my belly for a minute because I asked the dr. to... if everything its fine you can tell them what your wishes are... they then took him to dry him off and check him out... They had to keep him under there for almost an hour to try to get his body temp up.... I had to watch him from the bed... it made me a lil mad but it had to be done for my baby... I could however hear him make these lil coos from under the heat lamp... and yeah.. pretty much sheer releif... the crying thing does get frustrating later on... because you cant make them stop and you are tired yourself but a lil good cry never hurt a baby...

Quote:
I have absolutely no tolerance for pain so I'm afraid of that. I'm afraid of having an asthma attack while in labor since I have pretty severe asthma. And ugh, I'm afraid of having a bowel movement![/b]
the dr.s will watch you closely to make sure eevrythings ok... I was afraid I was gonna black out from my heart on the table but they gave me meds to make sure it didn't happen... and as for the pain tolerance.... I have a good tolerance but I am such a baby... tattoos and piercings I could always do (including piercing my nipples 3 different time) but if I sprain my ankle I'm crying for a week! Like I said its a mind over matter thing... and no one will tell you if you poop on the table... it's supposedly bound to happen but when t comes time to go into labor your body will start to clean out your intestines.... and when the time comes... you wont be thinking about pooping!! promise

<div align="center">

</div>
March 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
sarabella
I still cry when I get shots and blood taken. =/
March 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM
how long do you have to wait till they let you have a shower? i dont want to be sitting there all covered in blood and other ew substances....

March 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Quote:
how long do you have to wait till they let you have a shower? i dont want to be sitting there all covered in blood and other ew substances....[/b]
lol... well i took one that night... you can usually take one as soon as your iv's out or if they do to you what they did to me,you can put a glove over you iv and do it that way... I had to have antibiotics pumped thru me every 8 hours for 48 hours so it took a lil while to get the iv out... but honestly you arent covered in anything but betadine besides what your body leaks out, which is about the equivelant to a period for the most part... I felt icky but not that bad... I think I was still a lil buzzed of the pain killers... lol... And to be completely honest... a shower was the last thing on my mind because it meant sending my baby to the nursery....

Quote:
I still cry when I get shots and blood taken. =/[/b]
oh you just wait... after you have this baby that should be solved... I have been poked and prodded in so many places that I didn't realize they had to poke and prod me!!! they stick me to draw blood and I dont' even feel it anymore... lol....

<div align="center">

</div>
March 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I've heard a lot of women throw up several times during birth. Is that true? I've also heard after the doctor breaks your water (if not done naturally) you can't get out of bed until after the baby is born. I asked my Mom and she told me that wasn't the case for her... but then again she had her last baby 19 years ago! Things have changed since then.

</div>
March 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Yes I would like to hear your birth story.[/b]
Here ya go sweetie. http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=217531
March 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Quote:
I've heard a lot of women throw up several times during birth. Is that true? I've also heard after the doctor breaks your water (if not done naturally) you can't get out of bed until after the baby is born. I asked my Mom and she told me that wasn't the case for her... but then again she had her last baby 19 years ago! Things have changed since then.[/b]
I didn't throw up... but then again I also wasn't allowed to eat anything so that could be why... I can understand why it might make you throw up... meds and contractions combined...

and as for the getting out of bed thing.. not even to pee! they expect you to maneuver over a bed pan and pee over it.. I just couldn't pee... I thougth I was but it was just water... so I went ahead and got the catheter (sp) ..... didn't bother me at all to have it and i think it made me more comfortable...

<div align="center">

</div>
March 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I would rather take a poo on the table than vomit. Uhhhhg! I'm getting even more scared by the day for the birth. At least I have 29 more weeks until that happens so I have a while!

</div>
March 29th, 2007, 04:03 AM
i'm pretty ok about the whole giving birth thing now. i'm just getting so uncomfortable i want this little one to come out.

did a doctor or midwife deliver the baby?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search