Back Ache

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my god, my back hurts so bad. Its been really bad for about 3 days now, i can hardly move. I honestly feel like i cant hold myself up any more. and i'm only 23 weeks!!!!

any BTDT moms have some helpful tips? DH is taking me swimming on sat (i cant swim, so i'm nervous to go by myself in case i slip or something) which apparently takes the weight so i can get some relief. but other than that, is there ANYTHING at all that will help?

anyone else having major back problems?

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
March 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I'm only 10 weeks and my back feels like it's about to break in half. Have you tried a heating pad? Those do wonders. Stretching also helps me. I carefully bend back and forward, side to side, and twist a little. I've also noticed if I sleep on my side it makes the back ache worse. Swimming is a very good idea... hope it makes you feel better!

</div>
March 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
i've noticed that too about sleeping on my side, but i cant sleep on my back because my baby is so big now. lying on your back is not recommended after the 5th month because the baby lies on important arteries which could cut of circulation to lower half of your body.

are heating pads ok to use in pregnancy?

March 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM
sarabella
No no no, no heating pads!
March 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
didnt think so... any of the ones i've looked at have HUGE writing on the back saying do not use during pregnancy. thought that elmel might have found ones that were ok.

March 28th, 2007, 09:05 AM
sarabella
Read this the other night and I tried it and it helped me...

"Try pelvic tilt exercises. Kneel on your hands and knees with your head in line with your back. Pull in your abdomen, arching your spine upward. Hold the position for several seconds, then relax your abdomen and back. Repeat three to five times, working gradually up to 10. Ask your health care provider about other stretching exercises, too. "

I have a gift certificate for a massage that I got for Christmas... I'm trying to wait a couple more months to use it though for when it's really bad.

Try Tylenol as well, it helped dull my backache alot. And a lukewarm bath every now and then is safe as well.

Getting off your feet from work will make a huge difference now that you aren't going to be working anymore either.

And use that DH of yours!!!
March 28th, 2007, 07:39 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I guess I should have specified I don't use an electric heating pad. I use the ones you buy that stick onto a body part. They have them for period relief, back relief, and a bunch of other body parts. I think they are OK for being pregnant. The package says nothing bad about them like an electric heating pad does. They are good for wearing while going out because they just stick on and heat up. They're nifty. I guess I need to ask my doctor next time I see him whether they are okay. Now I'm all freaked out they are bad too. I just don't see why they would be bad...

</div>
March 29th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Chellybella's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found this on WebMD regarding back pain during pregnancy:

Back, pelvic, and hip discomfort
Many women develop back, pelvic, and hip discomfort during pregnancy. As the size and weight of your abdomen increases, strain is placed on your back. Pelvic and hip discomfort is a normal sign that your pelvic girdle is preparing for childbirth. To help relieve your discomfort, follow these guidelines:

Try not to stand for long periods of time.
Stand with a straight back. Do not stand with your abdomen forward and your shoulders back.
Rest one foot on a small box, brick, or stool when standing.
Apply heat, such as a hot water bottle or a heating pad set on low to painful areas when resting. Do not fall asleep with a heating pad in place.
Sit with a back support or pillow against your lower back. If you must sit for prolonged periods, take a break every hour.
Wear a prenatal belt or girdle around your hips but under your abdomen to stabilize your hips.
Sleep on a firm mattress (plywood under a mattress helps). Lay on your side, with a pillow between your knees.
Avoid heavy lifting. Lift with your legs by raising from a squat, keeping your waist and back straight.
Avoid stretching to reach something, as on a high shelf or across a table.
Try acetaminophen. Talk to your health professional if your discomfort is not relieved by acetaminophen. Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
March 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM
thanks for all the help ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the painkillers you guys get over the counter in the states i cant get here. this tylenol seems to be some sort of miracle drug. can you give me the name of a big drugstore so i can see if they'll ship me some?
I thought it was the same as paracetamol, but apparently not.

DH gives a good massage. just finding the time for them is the hard part!!!

March 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Gorman
I have incredible back pain, but I was thrown from a horse when I was 13 and broke my tailbone and did some damage to my lumbar spine, so that doesn't help much.

Tylenol is a good thing to take to relieve the pain. Also, I hurt when I sleep on my side, but the thing that made a big difference for me was using a pillow between my knees when I sleep. Something to try I guess. The pelvic tilts are a good thing as well. You will get a nice stretch in your lower back while building abdominal muscles to support it - gotta love the muscle building . We use moist heat on pregnant women all of the time, just don't put it directly on the baby... don't want to bake him/her. What is important is your body temp. If you don't have any moist heat, you can always wet a large towel and heat in the microwave - works like a charm. Just apply that to your low back for a little while - if you start to feel like you are getting too warm take it off. When you take the heat off ask dh to massage massage massage - loosen those muscles up a freckle. Good luck!
March 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
monkey71786's Avatar Super Mommy
this is what i did and do now with my back pain. I sit with a pillow down at my lower back for extra support and i will sit in the floor indian stye and lean foward a little. It releaves some of the pressure and you can also take pain killers, just make sure that it is acetaminophen based.

March 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IF its that bad you might want to see a dr., it could be a UTI. I had a similar problem a week ago, it was so bad I couldn't stand up. I went to the Dr., she did a urine test, and told me it was a UTI, probably in my kidney.

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
March 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
waitin4ansleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
my back got bad as the baby got bigger... and you need to sleep on your side... put a flat pillow underneath your belly and shape it til your comfy... and one between the knees too.. basically you have reached the point where DH gets the couch... cause of all your pillows/sleep positions or you get the recliner... Can you really not get tylenol there? weird... I can't imagine life without tylenol... and i cant imagine pregnancy without tylenol 3's lol... (thats the super uber script tylonel) heating pads are safe to use during pregnancy... just never fall asleep on one... and try not to use them on the high setting... never on the belly either... and those thermacare ones are just as great! I even tried the blue emu (that stuff is a miracle!!!) it's pricy but does wonders on muscle pain... and I think that's all my methods...

<div align="center">

Thanks dettmer26 for my siggy!

</div>
March 31st, 2007, 09:20 AM
i thought it might have been a UTI too, but the baby did a complete turn around and the pain in my back has gone from incredible pain to mild dull ache. thank god!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search