Breastfeeding advice

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
waitin4ansleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
So I just wanted to let ya'll know that if you are thinking about breastfeeding, take a class, read a book do something becasue it is so not as easy as I thought it was gonna be... the Car-man (his nickname from my mechanic friend lol) and I are having ALOT of trouble with it.. So if you are thinking about it... find a lactation counselor in your area and have her on speed dial.. lol... And don't give up either... I've seriously considered it but this is something that I always wanted to do and to be honest, I don't know if I will have another baby anytime soon... So yeah just some food for thought...

<div align="center">

Thanks dettmer26 for my siggy!

</div>
March 31st, 2007, 12:36 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
My Mom told me to be prepared to walk around topless for a long while once starting to breastfeed. She said it's horrible. Lactation counselor? They have those? I hope it gets better soon...

</div>
March 31st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Send a message via AIM to waitin4ansleigh Send a message via Yahoo to waitin4ansleigh
Quote:
My Mom told me to be prepared to walk around topless for a long while once starting to breastfeed. She said it's horrible. Lactation counselor? They have those? I hope it gets better soon...[/b]
walk around topless... ehh... now walk around with a nursing bra on with those nipple cover things that don't let anything hit your nipples inside them... which make you look deformed... yup... its pretty bad but i enjoy it and don't want to stop...

<div align="center">

</div>
March 31st, 2007, 08:59 AM
sarabella
Babies R Us has a breastfeeding class that I'm thinking of taking. The women in my family have never been able to properly breastfeed so I'm planning on giving it a shot and then switching to the pump if all doesn't go well.

My nephew was so rough on my sister that he was spitting up blood from her nipples bleeding so bad so she had to finally stop breastfeeding.
March 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
why is it so hard? is it just a matter of getting used to each other?

one of my biggest fears is that i wont be able to. i'd feel like such a bad mom.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
March 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not to correct her... but it's not that breastfeeding is hard, it varies from person to person.

Does it hurt? Yeah a little, you're nipples aren't used to being sucked on. The pain for me went away after a few days.

Latching on is a whole other story. Briana latched on perfectly. We never had an issue. My best friends baby wanted nothing to do with her nipple, so no amount of assistance worked. 6 months later, my nipple and Brian's mouth are still best friends!! haha

Breastfeeding can get tiring, and I wanted to give up several times because I was so tired of always needing to yank my boob out of my top, or unzip whatever.... but you do get used to it and it becomes second nature to you!

My hospital had lactation counselors on staff and I used them as much as I could. That's what they are there for!! You don't necessarily need a class. Breastfeeding is natural and what to do will come to you. But if a class makes you feed more comfortable, then by all means take one!

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

April 1st, 2007, 06:51 AM
sarabella
What I'm most concerned about is I've always had extremely sensitive nipples, even before I got pregnant. Hated them being touched because they were so sensitive. Pregnancy has only made them MORE sensitive now.
April 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
is there anything you can do to toughen them up before the baby comes?

April 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
sarabella
Quote:
is there anything you can do to toughen them up before the baby comes?[/b]

This made me laugh so hard.

I had visions of my bf offering to "toughen them up"
April 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
monkey71786's Avatar Super Mommy
with my son i wanted so bad to breast feed him. I did everything that i was supposed to do. I even had a lactation counselor that came and helped me. She stayed with me for 2 hours trying to get my son to lach on and he just wouldn't do it. She told me to go to formula and keep trying the breast feeding. I kept trying to breast feed after about a week and gave up. He just wouldn't latch on. Just and fyi sometimes babies just won't latch on. Just keep that in mind.

April 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
were you given a particular reason why he wouldnt latch on?

did you have problems bottle feeding?

sara, DH has already offered!

April 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
sarabella
Quote:

sara, DH has already offered! [/b]

LOL aren't they just soooo sweet and caring!
April 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
they really have our best interests at heart!

i have signed myself up for some breastfeeding classes.

April 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
sarabella
apparently my insurance offers money if you take a lactation class, like $50 I think so I'm signing up as well.
April 6th, 2007, 10:44 AM
my hospital provides them for free.

April 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
monkey71786's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

sara, DH has already offered! [/b]

no. I was doing everything right. The lactation counselor just told me that some babies just won't do it and they havn't really found out why yet. He bottle feed just fine. No problems there.

April 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Gorman
My oldest son would NOT latch on at all. I tried for two days - and cried a lot. He was a tongue thruster - and would get his tongue in the way. I was only 19 and went straight to the bottle out of frustration - I wish I would never have done that. With my other two, I nursed them right after they were born (when they brought them back to me). I think classes are good for any mother who is thinking of nursing and there are some really great books out there too! My biggest concern was - is he getting enough? Or, they would get so comfortable being close to me that they would eat just a little and fall asleep and then wake up an hour later still hungry - that's a tiring schedule. You just have to find what works for you!
April 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
breastfeeding is more of a test of your resolve and patience than anything else.

Every new mother goes through exactly what you are going through (when i say every, I mean 92% of new mothers... some are just too darn lucky)

I had issues nursing both of my girls (more with my first because i knew very little about breastfeeding) my second child was easier because I knew more... but I still had times where the thought of putting her to my breast invoked soo much fear that i was sure I would give up.

But I didn't...

We got through the rough times... my nipples healed and I became a whiz at breastfeeding! at this date I have reached a breastfeeding goal of 13 and 1/2 months! and we are still going strong!

It's not easy but it is totally worth it!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
April 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
oh and if you are planning on breastfeeding... don't introduce formula until you really really have to... its killing me right now because he gets so frustrated if he really has to work at it because he knows that I'll make him a bottle and its also killing my milk supply because my family knows now that they can feed him so the second I'm out of the room and its ALMOST time to eat someones making a bottle and I have to be the mean mommy and pull the bottle out and give him the mean ole boob... so yeah... some more personal experience for ya'll

<div align="center">

</div>
April 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
Good point!

Why work for your supper when it come out so conviently from the bottle!

Nopt bottle or pacifiers if possible.. it all adds to the confusion.. and trust me.. less confusion is better!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search