BTDT moms read this!

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting really close to my due date and its starting to set in that i dont know the first thing about minding a baby and being a mother.

so if you could give all of us first time moms some advice, what would it be? about pregnancy, childbirth, life, whatever!!!!

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
May 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I'm not a BTDT yet, but...

Plug your vajayjay and hope the baby never comes out!

</div>
May 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sure your mother's intuition will kick in as soon as she is born!

May 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
always remember that it's just a baby... and no matter how much crying you child does and how many sleepless nights you have.. it's just a baby.

Remember to breathe and take each day as it comes.

OH! and if it's a girl.. Wipe front to back! lol

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
May 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Veteran
The first thing I did was try to get them on a routine.. The sooner they feel regular the sooner they sleep through the night. ..ummm.. Try not to get so pissed off when RANDOM people try to tell you what to do your baby.. Just BLUNTLY tell them.. I think I have this, thanks Ill ask for some advise when I need some.. Everyone seems to think that you want them to help you.. take brakes when you need to.. SLEEP when they sleep.. that took me the hardest thing to do.. I always wanted to take a shower, or clean up.... you will be fine

May 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
AngelFire22's Avatar Super Mommy
Sleep when she sleeps!! i can't do it and it really kicks my a**.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
May 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
asianmama
take lots of pictures. they grow up soo fast!
also sleep when they sleep...
and if u are feeling blue make sure ur doc knows it may be ppd.
May 24th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Veteran
Just relax! You'll be fine. We mothers just "know" what to do. I really have no advice to give but to relax and enjoy every moment. Every experience is so different. There is no guide for this.

May 27th, 2007, 02:20 AM
irishxrose
Take it one day at a time. If you get frustrated, it's okay to leave the baby in a safe place (crib, swing, etc) while you have a moment to yourself. Trust me, I had to take a lot of these moments when Joshua was younger!

You can do it hun. I had those same feelings, but once I had him in my arms, it felt like I knew what I needed to do and I got it done. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
May 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to what everyone said!!! I remember getting all this help at the hospital, and then coming home and being like "now what?". One thing I didn't know about was gas drops. Because I was breastfeeding, B would get anything I ate. So once I ate tacos and she got horrible gas because of it. We were up all night!

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

May 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
dpichette210's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dpichette210
Trust your intuition when it comes to the baby...no matter how much advice ppl give you, its your baby and you will learn (takes a bit of time, but it'll happen) exactly what that baby wants!

If someone tells you that your holding your baby to much, etc...tell them where they can shove it you can't overlove a baby!

The gas drops that Jill (Star) mentioned is awesome, as well as Gripe Water (BRU sells it)...it takes away gas and hiccups!
Also, teething tablets when the time comes works awesome!

Thats all I can think of right now...if I think of more, I'll post it!

May 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Regular
Im sure you have more experience than you think.. its like taking care of a boyfriend or a husband...lol. Just remember that a baby doesnt know or think your doing anything wrong. If its your first, it will be easier to sleep when the baby sleeps but if not, and you have a support system there is nothing wrong with having a friend or relative come by and watch the baby while you take a nap. Besides who doesnt love holding a new born? Im a single mom now and have had all my friends come up to the plate, even offer letting me stay with them so that i have some help the first few weeks until i get my strength back and a get a little more rested. I used to even bathe with my babygirl, I would put a rag on my chest because they can be slippery little suckers... and kill 2 birds with one stone, plus she seemed to love it, it would relax us and we would both fall straight to sleep afterwards....

I love the gas drops advice, I wish I would have known about that 9 years ago...
May 28th, 2007, 02:13 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you all have great advice for us new moms! thanks so much!

did any of you buy equipment that you really didnt need, or did you not think of something you couldnt live without?

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
May 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM
dpichette210's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dpichette210
We've pretty much used everything we've bought!

A swing is a must!! Sometimes it would be the only way to get DS to sleep!

One thing we didnt buy until a few months ago, and I wish we would have boughten it sooner is one of those aquarium type things that hangs on the side of the crib and plays music and has lights in it - we put DS down in his crib and he just watches that till he falls asleep! (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3933930)

June 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
With DD things like swings and bouncers didn't cut it. I found putting her in her car seat/carrier and setting it on top of the dryer with a shoe going around in it worked great. Also BURP, BURP, BURP! Gemma had gas constantly. If I was holding her I was patting her back to relieve the pressure. Also gassy babies can get relief when you gently bicycle their legs, ya know hold their ankles and move them like their riding a bike? It helps let the gas move down. My daughter has had a 'Tad' the frog doll from Leapster since birth and still wont give it up. It plays six minutes of night time music and it puts her to sleep really quickly. Pacifiers can help prevent SIDS in newborns but if your baby gets hooked it's very hard to get them to give up the bink! My DD still has hers. Thats all i can think of for now. Good luck!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search