Touchy subject

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How many of you knew or know someone, if not yourself that smoked during pregnancy? Ok this isn't an excuse to smoke pot and I am not saying it is. Just loojking for peoples experiences and opinions. I am curious about this subject for information purposes. Not trying to start a major debate or anything. I'll tell you why I am curious. As a lot of young people here are, I am a product of hippies. My mom smoked pot with me everyday when she was pregnant. I turned out fine, no breathing problems, no learning disabilities (straight A's most of high school btw), no deformaties, etc. Every friend I have were also getting high in utero. They all turned out fine also. One friends mom told me she smoked bud with all three kids. One was skipped in school a few grades and the other two had straight A's throughout school. All were fine otherwise. I know all the problems associated with pot use during pregnancy. As I have been well informed by my doctor. I will be honest, I smoked during the first trimester. It was the only thing that kept any food down. I PERSONALLY think that this was ok for me because otherwise I would have been in the ER constantly because of dehydration. I tried stopping for a week during the 1st trimester and did end up in the hospital for severe dehydration. Anyways....let me know your 2 cents everyone and not just the technical stuff about how harmful it is. I know...

August 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
dakota05_logan08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to dakota05_logan08 Send a message via Yahoo to dakota05_logan08
I know of someone who smoked it ALL the time during pregnancy and her son turned out just fine...as a matter of a fact he is 7 years old and was in the first grade last year and they tested him and moved him up to a 3rd grade level...now this girl is telling me if I smoke it I will have a very smart baby...even though she's just playing...it kinda makes me laugh....lol. My mom smoked with me and the only thing that was wrong with me is I had a low birth weight...I had straight A's all throughout high school and got a full ride to college! Many of my family members have done the same while they were pregnant and I haven't noticed anything wrong with their children physically or mentally...that's just what I've noticed though.....
August 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Another thaught to what I already wrote.... maybe the smoking of the pot makes the moms a lot less stressed out? And maybe stress is actually the cause of most problems with newborns.

August 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Here is an article on JM that you may want to consider reading.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/...ddiction.shtml

Smoking marijuana or even cigarrettes is very dangerous to your unborn child. Here are some things a mom that smokes pot might be doing to their child.

Smoking reduces the supply of oxygen to the baby. It has been associated with miscarriage, placenta previa, placental abruption, preterm labor, low birth weight and developmental delays.

If your placenta abrupts baby will not get oxygen and can die. Premature babies have a lot of problems that do not go away after birth.

Just a few things to consider.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
CyprisLuv's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think there are any 100% known facts about the effects of smoking pot has on the baby. I have a couple of friends who smoked throughout their pregnancies and their kids turned out fine too. IMHO, I don't see any SERIOUS damage happening if you smoke, I just chose not to...

August 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM
AustinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to AustinsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AustinsMommy
I'll keep to myself in this board, and i just hope that you chose to not smoke during the rest of your pregnancy.
August 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I will tell you this. I did a rotation in L&D during nursing school and I have seen them drug test babies. If they do, you have Child Protective Services in your life. Pot stays in the baby's fat cells for 30 days. They also drug test moms sometimes depending on OB offices. At the very least, if you're not concerned about health risks you should be concerned about this. I would look into getting help. Personally, if you can't quit during pregnancy it sounds like addiction to me. There are a lot of medications for nausea that ARE safe during pregnancy. Talk to your doctor if you haven't found the right one. I will plead that you think about this. It is certainly not a risk you should take with your baby.

Teresa

ETA: I am not trying to be judgemental, but I am also not going to condone this either. I can disagree with you and that does not mean I am trying to judge you. We all make mistakes myself included.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
This thread is being locked as well as the other post on the Due Date Club. Although this conversation has stayed civil. A discussion on medical use of marijuana (especially for pregnancy) is very controversial and would be better suited for the debate board. Please feel free to continue this discussion on the debate board.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search