Telling your Friends & Family

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
How did you decide to tell your friends and family you are/were pregnant?

Were they happy and excited or disappointed?

Did they influence your decision on whether to keep the baby or not?

</div>
July 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
We were scared crapless to tell.. my mom waited until 35 to start having kids, and Jared's mom had him really young (and advised us not to do the same.. though she was SURE I was pregnant when we got married. psh)

My mom said "I drove by your house on my way to school today (shes a teacher) and I saw your car was home.. I thought you had work". I had known for about two weeks.. finally I just said (over the phone, mind you) "well mom............... jaredandiarehavingababyandivebeenhavingcomplicatio nssoimonmedicalleave"

To which there was NO response for.. oh.. 2 minutes.. and then she said "well, was this planned?" gee mom. Yes. I was 20 years old at the time, and not NEARLY done with college.. and going through a rocky time in our marriage. Yes. it was planned. lol. She got over it.. she's excited now, and so is my dad.

myspace
July 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
I didnt have any problems telling my friends.

I told my mom the day after I found out. And she told my dad. They were upset, but supportive. They wanted me to get an abortion, but I didnt and they were OK with that after a little while.

The second pregnancy I kept a secret from them and only told a few select friends.

July 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I called my bes tfriend as soon as I found out, and I told another close friend on MSN. They were both happy for me.

I told my family by sending them e-cards. I regret that a little now, but it was the easiest way at the time. To my surprise they replied saying they were really happy too.

July 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
My boyfriend was with me when I found out. I told 2 close friends first, as they were going to an amusement park with us and wondered why I couldn't ride anything. My mom was next, then stepdad, then brother, then sister, and that's it. My bestfriend and the rest of our friends don't know and Jesse's whole family still doesn't know.
July 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my dad on new years day. he was devistated. he cried for hours before he could talk to me. my mom was really upset too, but after a few hours they calmed down and told me they'd support me.
now my mom is so excited, she cant stop buying baby things. my dad is worrying alot, but really looking forward to a new baby.

My inlaws took it with a pinch of salt and congratulated us. since then its not really spoken about with them unless theres a problem with my health or something.

i havent told any of my friends. i just avoid them now. i'm not too sure why....

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Luckystar83's Avatar Super Mommy
We haven't told any of our family yet, am scared to death to tell them lol. i think they will be really happy for us though, just not something they are expecting!
July 9th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I told my aunt and uncle first. They are around my age and we were raised like siblings. It was my uncle's birthday, so I told him, "Happy Birthday, you're going to be a grand-uncle!" He freaked out and couldn't stop shouting. Neither could my aunt. It was the reaction I was expecting. I whispered it in my older uncle's ear that evening and he said he needed a drink and a cigarette.
I left a my boyfriend a voicemail, since he was one of the few people who knew that I was taking the test. He was at work and asked me to leave the message. When I got home, we had a long conversation about it. He was happy, but had his concerns. We have since addressed them and are happier than ever. We're a little happy family. His reaction was the one that mattered the most. I'm glad that he's so supportive.
I didn't quite know how to tell my grandmother. She raised me, so she was like my mother. I decided to tell her in a public place so she wouldn't try to strangle me. We were at a Chinese food restaurant and I waited until we were getting ready to go. When we were opening our fortune cookies, I said that mine said, "There will be a new addition to your family." I had to say it several times and look pointedly at her before she got it. She was mad at first. I couldn't let it get to me. She has these expectations for my life that are completely unrealistic. She wanted me to marry a Catholic Puerto Rican doctor or something. Even my uncle asked her where the heck I was supposed to find one, since they are in such short supply.
Anyway, so far, I have told my closest friends and I told my boss before school let out for the summer. I figured that it was relevant since she had to make up the teaching schedules for next year. She was glad to get some good news from me for a change. (I always have the most bizarre things happen to me!)
July 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked my mom if she would like an addition to the family. She was happier than I expected her to be.

Everyone else was easy to tell.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search