Buying things for Baby

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Typically an unplanned pregnancy puts a strain on your financial stability and budget plans. How did you buy things for baby? Did you accept donations, hunt down bargains at stores, purchase online, and/or visit a resale shop?

</div>
July 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
hmmm.. well I'm still in the process.. but at the time, it wasn't a strain (it is now.. DH got fired and we both have school this fall.)

Strain or no strain, we got everything from garage sales. I LOVE garage sale-ing. The crib was my mom's friend's crib (they're getting a divorce and don't have room for it). It's in perfect condition. We already had an extra room in our house.. I have TONS of clothes from garage sales (only 3 outfits have been store boughten) that are all brand new. I don't buy "used" stuff with stains.. just really really really cute outfits for dirt cheap.

uhhh.. stroller and all that stuff was garage sales.. I can't even believe what I've gotten for around a total of 100 dollars.

myspace
July 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Um, it hasn't been too too much of a strain but enough that we've been looking for the cheapest way of doing things. We got a lot of our stuff from garage sales too, hand-me downs from other people (all in great condition), and we've definitely done some bargain-hunting. We still don't have everything but we're well on our way (went shopping yesterday) and I know I'll still get a lot of things from my baby shower.
July 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
I had a job so I bought some things myself. And my baby showers provided me ALL of the big stuff, swing, stroller, car seat, pack-n-play, tonnnns of clothes, EVERYTHING. The only thing I had to buy after she was born were diapers

July 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well so far I've only bought clothes and a bassinet( ).

I am kind of depending on my shower for the big things.
Whatever I do not get at the shower we will look for for cheap online (if I find a site that will ship to Canada ).

July 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I'm ready to start shopping!

I get paid this Thursday and I don't expect it to make it until Saturday. I'm definitely going to Old Navy, The Disney Store, and Build-A-Bear. I'm really looking forward to maternity clothes. I'm getting a head start on everything. My mom is wanting me to wait until my shower to get my crip/changing table/dressers/stroller/carseat/etc. but I want to make sure it's what I want. Not all of my relatives will go by a registry.

But I expect to have some neutral clothing/bedding by this weekend.
July 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Mommy2AvaRose's Avatar Super Momma
Psshhh I thought that I was going to be bargain shopping and not have half the things I needed by the time the baby got here. Well that all changed, now everyone is telling me that I need to buy NOTHING because it is all being taken care of for me. Whew! What a weight off my shoulders.

July 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pixie_punk
So far all I've got is a onesie and a pair of shoes (I was in Buffalo shopping yesterday and I couldn't say no to some of the baby stuff at Hot Topic it was just too cute... and the shoes were on sale anyway!). The onesie was way more than I really SHOULD be paying for something he'll outgrow so fast, but it's adorable. (And there are more online I wanted but they didn't have in the store, so I'm probably going to order those. lol. I NEED the Social Distortion one they have, so cute. Anyway). I'm worried about the big things, and about generally having enough money. We're renting a house and moving in at the beginning of August, so rent will be added to the strain of buying baby things... but our landlord is a good friend and is actually giving us a REALLY good deal on the rent, and I know both of our families will help us out if there's anything we really need... I would like to provide for the baby ourselves, but it's comforting to know that if we ever really need it, we've got that support.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 8th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
So far all I've got is a onesie and a pair of shoes (I was in Buffalo shopping yesterday and I couldn't say no to some of the baby stuff at Hot Topic it was just too cute... and the shoes were on sale anyway!). The onesie was way more than I really SHOULD be paying for something he'll outgrow so fast, but it's adorable. (And there are more online I wanted but they didn't have in the store, so I'm probably going to order those. lol. I NEED the Social Distortion one they have, so cute. Anyway). I'm worried about the big things, and about generally having enough money. We're renting a house and moving in at the beginning of August, so rent will be added to the strain of buying baby things... but our landlord is a good friend and is actually giving us a REALLY good deal on the rent, and I know both of our families will help us out if there's anything we really need... I would like to provide for the baby ourselves, but it's comforting to know that if we ever really need it, we've got that support.[/b]
Haha, I love those too. I want The Mistfits tee-shirt for when it's older and all of the Invader Zim onesies. Too cute.
July 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my parents have paid for alot of things for me. i have to buy i new crib (I broke the one we had!) and then i'm done. i only bought things that i'll need straight away cos even tho i know i'm having a little girl, scans can be wrong and i'm really supersticious. so when she comes out we'll buy everything in pink.

as for where i got them, i know this will sound stuck up and snobby, but i bought everything brand new. i've got this weird thing about germs and i didnt want to accept hand me downs because i didnt know where most of them were coming from. luckily i'm in a very good financial situation and was able to do that.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Veteran
I did take, and still take hand-me downs.. my moms friend takes care of her grand daughter and she gives us all her clothes and shoes.. absolutly the cutest stuff... I also hand down things to my friends.. I shop at good-will, wal-mart. kolhs has very cute kids clothes for cheap.. garage sales are also great.. you can also alter things... I got Austin a race car bed (little tykes 1100 Shiped!!!) I got it for 50$!!! I painted the crib/toddler bed white with fllowers and other girl stuff for autumn.. when we move austin to his own room in a year or so, Im going to find a chester drawer and paint it like a tool box, to go with the car theme...

July 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Quote:
So far all I've got is a onesie and a pair of shoes (I was in Buffalo shopping yesterday and I couldn't say no to some of the baby stuff at Hot Topic it was just too cute... and the shoes were on sale anyway!). The onesie was way more than I really SHOULD be paying for something he'll outgrow so fast, but it's adorable. (And there are more online I wanted but they didn't have in the store, so I'm probably going to order those. lol. I NEED the Social Distortion one they have, so cute. Anyway). I'm worried about the big things, and about generally having enough money. We're renting a house and moving in at the beginning of August, so rent will be added to the strain of buying baby things... but our landlord is a good friend and is actually giving us a REALLY good deal on the rent, and I know both of our families will help us out if there's anything we really need... I would like to provide for the baby ourselves, but it's comforting to know that if we ever really need it, we've got that support.[/b]
Hey how cool I like in Buffalo!

July 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
pixie_punk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pixie_punk
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Really? awesome!

You should go to the Cheesecake Factory at Walden Galleria and send me some cheesecake. lol. I thought I was gonna die eating it on Friday but now I've been craving it and we don't have Cheesecake Factory up here.

There are two girls with whom I've known longer than anyone, and my debt to them is lifetime. The gathering of boys I rely on know exactly who they are and I would build their protection with bloody hands. - 36 Crazyfists
</div>
July 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hey thats crazy I was just at the Walden Galleria this weekend.

I've been to The Cheesecake Factory but I didnt eat the cheesecake, i only got dinner because one slice was like $5!

July 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM
haha omg I just realized my post said

"I like Buffalo"

I mean I live in Buffalo!!!!!!

July 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Really? awesome!

You should go to the Cheesecake Factory at Walden Galleria and send me some cheesecake. lol. I thought I was gonna die eating it on Friday but now I've been craving it and we don't have Cheesecake Factory up here.
[/b]
LOL... this is so weird!! Jdee and I just found out we live near each other... and I just quit working at the Cheesecake Factory last week!! Actually, my last shift was this past Saturday (when you were there!!!). I totally know which Hot Topic shoes you are talking about... I have the Social D bib for Briana, it says "Mommy's little monster" on it. So cute!!

I got this sweat suit from Hot Topic over the winter:

ETA: and yes, those are baby Vans on her feet!!! haha.... I found them at a Vans outlet store in Florida over the winter.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

July 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Quote:
LOL... this is so weird!! Jdee and I just found out we live near each other... and I just quit working at the Cheesecake Factory last week!! Actually, my last shift was this past Saturday (when you were there!!!). I totally know which Hot Topic shoes you are talking about... I have the Social D bib for Briana, it says "Mommy's little monster" on it. So cute!!

I got this sweat suit from Hot Topic over the winter:

ETA: and yes, those are baby Vans on her feet!!! haha.... I found them at a Vans outlet store in Florida over the winter.[/b]
wow that is strange !! when i went to the Cheesecake Factory i had a guy waitor though lol. But you know what I remember mentioning that there werent any ugly people that worked there lol..it seemed like everyone was good looking!!

and aww that pic of your DD is adorable!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search