Breastfeeding

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont wanna start a debate, but i went to a breastfeeding class today and it was so amazing. i just wanted to tell you preggos that if you have the oportunity to go to one, do take it. i thought it would be kinda silly cos breastfeeding is such a natural thing, but you can never have too much advice. even the little tips i picked up from the midwife made it so worthwhile.
i feel so much more prepared and i know what to expect now. highly reccommended!

have any of you BTDT moms got any breastfeeding tips? or want to share any of your own experiences?

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
I didnt breastfeed, but if I have another child, I definatly will.

Thats cool you liked the class!

July 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not want to go to classes. I think I will get a book though.

July 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
I wanted to breastfeed when I first found out I was pregnant and planned to take a class. Now I'm not so sure.

</div>
July 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Quote:
I do not want to go to classes.[/b]
can i ask why you dont wanna go to a class?

July 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just don't feel comfortable going to any type of classes. I'm shy.

July 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Briana was a booby baby exclusively for about 4 months, then we mixed formula and breastmilk (or she got a boob) up until 9 months. I would breastfeed all over again!!

As for tips.... it can get stressful sometimes, because your SO can't feed the baby for you at 2am. I did find that once I passed the 6 week mark, I definately learned how to deal with it. I gave up on nursing Briana when it got hot out, we don't have AC and it was very uncomfortable to have a hot baby against me... so for those of you due in the summer, pick out a cool spot in the house where you and baby will be comfy!

It can get painful when baby is learning how to latch on... but it is so worth it when you see their little face look up at you as to say "thanks mommy!!". Your nipples will eventually get used to it. If there are latching problems and you're not able to BF, try pumping, at least for a few weeks.

Above all though.... RELAX!!! You'll produce a lot more if you're getting proper rest, eating healthy and staying calm.

PS- I didn't take a class, the lactation people at the hospital helped me out.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

July 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
I went to a class last week, too.. but I'm not going to breastfeed. It kind of made up my mind the other direction.. but definitely to each her own.

myspace
July 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Quote:
I went to a class last week, too.. but I'm not going to breastfeed. It kind of made up my mind the other direction.. but definitely to each her own.[/b]
at least you have made an informed decision. lots of moms justdont want the hassle of it and dont even bother to think seriously about it.

Quote:
If there are latching problems and you're not able to BF, try pumping, at least for a few weeks.[/b]
i was so worried that the baby wouldnt latch on, i didnt even think of pumping exclusively and feeding from the bottle!!! thanks for reminding me that theres other ways of getting the breastmilk into her!
I would love to have the experience of feeding from the breast, but if it doesnt work at least i can still give her the best nutrition.

July 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
I wanted to breastfeed when I first found out I was pregnant and planned to take a class. Now I'm not so sure. [/b]
I understand how you feel.

I decided that Elizabeth would be breastfed and I am SO glad that I did. Yes, it was a little stressful in the beginning when my milk wasn't in yet but it has been so worth it. I highly recommend breast-feeding. Also, I didn't take a class and I don't think I would have been comfortable at one. HOWEVER if you are planning on breast-feeding PLEASE take advantage of the lactation consultant at your hospital. I swear if it weren't for her I might have given up.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Wanted to come back and add that if you are trying to breastfeed and the baby is having a hard time latching on ask the lactation consultant about Nipple Shields. If it weren't for a nipple shield I am sure I wouldn't be breastfeeding right now. It is just a silicone nipple cover. I use it because Elizabeth was too small to latch on but it can also be used if your nipples are getting too sore. Your hospital can provide you with one but they also sell them at Target and they only cost $4 or $5....WORTH EVERY PENNY!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I breastfed my daughter until she weaned herself at 8 months. We had a rough start, but it got better. Definitely try it or consider it, if you decide its not for you that is your decision. Not everyone thinks it is for them and some can't. We shouldn't judge because they choose to use formula, I breastfed and formula fed. I didn't take classes either, but did talk to a lactation nurse several times for help.

July 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Whenever I have a baby I plan to breastfeed.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

July 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
irishxrose
I breastfed Joshua for four days, but I had a lot of physical problems with it so we had to stop. Next baby, I'm going to try again but I know that the problems I had before might crop up.
July 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
what kinda problems did you have? i hope you dont think i'm being too intrusive asking, i'm just fascinated with the whole breastfeeding thing!

July 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cright's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Cright
My biggest problem when Peter was a couple weeks old is that I had him attached wrong and I ended up getting cracked nipples... talk about painful! I'd cry when he latched on. I found on 3 days later after the pain had passed that you can use a nipple shield to get through that!! Another problem was that Peter would flail his arms around when trying to attach. So for the first few days I'd have my DH hold Peter's hands until I had him latched on and that made a world of difference for us.

So 4 weeks later when Peter was 6 weeks old, my friend Elizabeth had her baby and was having trouble feeding her son... so I went to her house and tried to help her. There were a couple issues. The first was that she had flat nipples. Also a problem easliy solved with nipple shields and she was sitting in an uncomfortable position. Your milk will come down easier if you are relaxed.

Finally the last problem is one that both of us had... is that sometimes baby would quit eating before he was done... and we'd have to re-latch baby sooo often which becomes frustrating. We both found that if we took off babies clothes so that we were skin to skin that baby ate MUCH better. This was recommended to me by a midwife and it was priceless information that I've passed on to friends.

All of these things seem to resolve themselves with in the first 2 weeks and you become a pro easily. It's just an adjustment. Mom's and babies have to learn how to work together. Seems wierd since your together your whole pregnancy, but this is after all babies first time out of the belly.

Congrats to all of those of you who will be breastfeeding. It's an amazing time! Peter's been breastfed for all of his 9 months and will be until he's at least a year. I like having the time to sit with him and hold him. I think it's important for babies to have that bonding time during the first year. Not to mention that I've saved hundreds upon hundreds by not having to buy formula or a huge supply of bottles. I don't have to sanatize or buy distilled water. I don't have to worry about heating bottles or taking time. Whereever I am his milk is ready in a couple seconds. How convientient!

July 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
what kinda problems did you have? i hope you dont think i'm being too intrusive asking, i'm just fascinated with the whole breastfeeding thing![/b]
Oh it's fine!

I have severely inverted nipples. Like the worst kind you can possibly have. Joshua had a lot of trouble latching on because of that. I also became really engorged really fast and no matter how much I tried to breastfeed they wouldn't go down. I also wasn't producing enough colostrum. Joshua was constantly hungry, and no matter how much I tried to feed him it'd never satisfy him. I also was on a bi-polar medication that was not safe, and at that point because of all the physical problems I had we decided that it was best for me to stay on my medication and give him formula. I needed to keep my sanity, and Joshua needed to eat. It's worked out, Joshua is healthy for the most part, and he's happy and that's all that matters. I really want to breastfeed my next, and I'm really going to try. I just don't know how long it will last because of the physical problems that may crop up, and my bi-polar meds. I'm still researching the best medication that I could breastfeed on that wouldn't harm a baby.
July 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you liked the class you went to - I also went to a really great class and read a lot on the topic. The only thing that will suck is having to pump when I go back to work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search