Opinions/advice please :(

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Regular
Hey all - I'm new to this but I needed somewhere to vent so excuse me if I waffle! I'm 22 and my periods have always had a life of their own (my cycles vary from 30 to 36 days) but my last period was the 10th of June and the one before that the 6th of May...

Anyway, after a friends birthday night out on the 30th (June) I rekindled an old flame and in the heat of the moment we didn't use protection (probably worsened by the fact I was on the pill when we were together so potentially he presumed I still was) On the evening of the 5th (so 5-6 days later) i had some very light brownish spotting which went away then came back a little the next day and lasted on and off until the morning of 7th.

Its obviously now the 11th (so ~cycle day 32) and as of yet no period, but mild waves of nausea, terrible fatigue, tingly boobs and a general 'bloated' feeling...Do you think it's too early to take a test? I'm so confused, you can probably guess that I wasn't planning on getting pregnant atm (I'm doing a Masters Degree) so I'm thinking about it CONSTANTLY - Any advice would be gratefully received, Thanks
July 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Hi there.

Welcome to Just Mommies and the Unplanned Pregnancy board. Since you have irregular periods it's difficult to say whether you are pregnant. It is definitely possible though. You also exhibit numerous pregnany symptoms that indicate the first stages of pregnancy. I suggest waiting 3-5 days after your period is due before purchasing a home pregnancy test. If you do it too early you may not have enough HCG levels in your system to receive an accurate result.

Since your last period was June 10th, and it's only July 11th, why don't you wait until the weekend? Maybe your period will show up. Some of your symptoms may be due to stress, you know? You seem like you have a stressful life right now. You may just be overwhelmed and your body is weak. But like I said, you really have a strong possibility of being pregnant.

Good luck hun. Please let us know what happens when you test.

</div>
July 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
Quote:
Hi there.

Welcome to Just Mommies and the Unplanned Pregnancy board. Since you have irregular periods it's difficult to say whether you are pregnant. It is definitely possible though. You also exhibit numerous pregnany symptoms that indicate the first stages of pregnancy. I suggest waiting 3-5 days after your period is due before purchasing a home pregnancy test. If you do it too early you may not have enough HCG levels in your system to receive an accurate result.

Since your last period was June 10th, and it's only July 11th, why don't you wait until the weekend? Maybe your period will show up. Some of your symptoms may be due to stress, you know? You seem like you have a stressful life right now. You may just be overwhelmed and your body is weak. But like I said, you really have a strong possibility of being pregnant.

Good luck hun. Please let us know what happens when you test.[/b]

Welcome to JM! Good luck, I hope you get the results you want

July 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
you are able to test and get a positive roughly ten days after ovulation.. so if you DID ovulate on or near the 30th, it's possible to get a positive result now.. however, should probably be more accurate around the 13th or 14th..

(most people that are pregnant and test that early may get a very LIGHT positive at about 10 days.. and if you use a digital now, it's more than likely that it will pick it up either way)

myspace
July 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hello and welcome to the board!

as the previous poster said, its possible to get a positive result now with a digital test, but maybe wait till sat to be extra sure.
because you have irregular periods, its impossible to say if you're pregnant or not, as some early pregnancy symptoms sometimes just turn out to be manifested by our brains becasue we have convinced ourselves that we are pregnant.

i really wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted!!!!

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Regular
Thank you for all the replies you're all very sweet and in this day and age have completed restored my belief in the 'kindness of strangers'!

I decided to buy a test on my way home in an attempt to get the whole thing out my mind...I took the test literally about half an hour ago when I got in from uni (none of those ridiculously long holidays when your a postgraduate!)...

It's positive, a very faint positive but after scrutinising it for at least 5 minutes in various different lights and orientations there is without doubt a vertical line in the window...I guess that was probably about as impressive as it was going to be if it's only 12 days after suspected ovulation? I have no idea what to do next, I guess wait until my period does or doesn't arrive over the weekend - Supposed to be going out drinking tomorrow night tho so no idea what I'm gonna do
July 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies you're all very sweet and in this day and age have completed restored my belief in the 'kindness of strangers'!

I decided to buy a test on my way home in an attempt to get the whole thing out my mind...I took the test literally about half an hour ago when I got in from uni (none of those ridiculously long holidays when your a postgraduate!)...

It's positive, a very faint positive but after scrutinising it for at least 5 minutes in various different lights and orientations there is without doubt a vertical line in the window...I guess that was probably about as impressive as it was going to be if it's only 12 days after suspected ovulation? I have no idea what to do next, I guess wait until my period does or doesn't arrive over the weekend - Supposed to be going out drinking tomorrow night tho so no idea what I'm gonna do[/b]
Well, I wouldn't go out drinking if you are unsure of how you're going to handle this pregnancy.

I think I may have done somethings I wasn't supposed to while pregnant, but it was before I found out. It scares me that it might affect my baby.
July 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

It's positive, a very faint positive but after scrutinising it for at least 5 minutes in various different lights and orientations there is without doubt a vertical line in the window...I guess that was probably about as impressive as it was going to be if it's only 12 days after suspected ovulation? I have no idea what to do next, I guess wait until my period does or doesn't arrive over the weekend - Supposed to be going out drinking tomorrow night tho so no idea what I'm gonna do[/b]
I would definitely suggest not going out drinking, for starters.

I was convinced the only way that I would be happy would be to get an abortion, and I would have probably taken a drink if offered.. but I didn't.. and here I am.. in my 6th month.. so unless you are absolutely 100% positive, you shouldn't make any drastic moves right now. The emotions of finding out that you're pregnant are absolutely overwhelming.. be it good OR bad.. and I strongly feel that you should take a couple of breather days to sort it out (not like 30 breather days, mind you.. but 2 or 3 won't hurt)

Try getting in with a free couselor to talk it over. A completely unbiased opinion certainly helps. And you need to talk it over with the dad.. you really do. One way or the other. You don't even HAVE to tell him you weren't on BC (as you stated that you were when you were together) if you'd rather not.. just tell him that for whatever reason it didn't work.

You also might want to try writing down all of your concerns on paper. Seeing things literally in black and white tends to help me out.

Good luck, and we're always here..

Just the fact that you posted on here shows that you're concerned enough to care, and that's always a good thing.

Try reading some of the other lady's stories in this subforum.. they're pretty helpful.

myspace
July 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Quote:

I suggest calling your local Planned Parenthood or physician's office to have a medical urine and blood test conducted. They will be able to confirm pregnancy. You will also be able to start receiving prenatal care and expert advice about what to do next. Planned Parenthood offers free counseling services to pregnant women who need to talk about things. They will guide you to making a decision as to what to do.

Don't go drinking, especially since there was a secondary line on the HPT. They are fairly accurate so I say you are pregnant. You don't need to consume alcohol as it can hurt the baby.

Good luck hun.

</div>
July 15th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Regular
Thanks for all the msgs ladies, much appreciated - I made an excuse for not going on friday while I figure out what to do, no period (its due as we speak) and i did another pregnancy test (different brand tho this one was a Sainsburys own brand lol) but still only a faint positive - shouldn't it be a more definite positive by now or is it still quite early test wise? I told a uni friend yesterday and swore her to secrecy for the time being, but it's nice to have someone else to vent to! I'm also Going to book a doctors appointment this week, presume they can do a blood test and offer me some more advice - Hope you're all well
July 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
CherryFrog1926's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to CherryFrog1926 Send a message via Yahoo to CherryFrog1926
high sweetie it is VER VERY rare to get a false positive so i'm almost sure your preg sweetie. depending on how much HCG you have in ur system could be why it is still light and also it is still early in ur pregnancy. good luck sweetie!
July 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Thanks for all the msgs ladies, much appreciated - I made an excuse for not going on friday while I figure out what to do, no period (its due as we speak) and i did another pregnancy test (different brand tho this one was a Sainsburys own brand lol) but still only a faint positive - shouldn't it be a more definite positive by now or is it still quite early test wise? I told a uni friend yesterday and swore her to secrecy for the time being, but it's nice to have someone else to vent to! I'm also Going to book a doctors appointment this week, presume they can do a blood test and offer me some more advice - Hope you're all well [/b]
hey hun. the further you get doesn't mean that your preg test will be "more positive." like darker or quicker or anything like that. i'm 5 months along and i took a test a few weeks ago for a friend to play as a joke to her ex.. (mean joke - i know.. but he deserved it- he told her he was HIV+ and let her think that for 24 hours) anyways, i'm def WAY prego and my test was positive, but the 2nd line was faint.. as was all 5 tests i took when i first thought i was prego.
hope this helps =)

July 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a lot of research on home tests a while back. Even the faintest positive line is a positive. When I took mine in June, I was already a month and a half pregnant, so mine was very dark. However, I took one a year ago and the same thing happened to me. I went to the doctor and had a blood test and it was negative. Turns out I may have caught a chemical pregnancy (egg is fertilized but doesnt attach to the uteran wall, sends out the hormones but the egg is released naturally and the woman never knows she was pregnant.) Or I had the rare 1% of a false positive.

July 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
irishxrose
Definetely sounds like a positive sweetie! It is very rare to get a false positive. Definetely book a doctor's appointment, and ask for a blood test. Blood tests are far more accurate than a HPT. They will probably do a urine test as well, but their tests may not pick it up. I was 8 weeks along when I went in for a urine test and it came out negative so they ordered a blood test and yup it was positive!

Good luck hun and welcome to JM!
July 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM
HighwayDaisy
When I first took my test it was so faint I thought I had just made a mistake. So I took the second one in the box with the same result. Then I went out and bought three other different brands. They were all the same. That was the point I decided to make a doctor's appointment.

I know it can be completely shocking. And confusing. But no matter how many tests you take, the doctor is the only way to be sure. (Though if the smell of EVERYTHING makes you sick to your stomach like it did for me, that's another pretty good sign!)

Good luck, and please speak up if you need anything!
July 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Regular
My goodness I am SO CONFUSED right now!? I am DEFINATELY going to the doctors in the morning to sort this out once and for all - Thursday morning I started with some brown/very light pink spotting, I wasn't too worried and decided to carry on as normal go into uni and continue with the plan to wait until I was a week late to test again and go to the doctors. By the evening however the spotting warranted a sanitary towel and was bright red blood (if pretty 'mucousy') with a very small amount of clots. This continued throughout friday with some cramping but then subsided again and was became brown spotting by Saturday afternoon and had stopped altogther by the evening - my periods are normally 6 days long!? Anyone any insight, i'm too scared to do a test - does it sound like I had an early miscarriage as I definately had positive hpts - Any comments welcomed as always, thanks ladies xx
July 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it sounds like more than implantation bleeding but i really dont know sweetie. if it was a miscarriage, you REALLY need to see a doctor to get a D&C.

i hope things work out the way you want them. keep us posted!!!!

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
July 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had some -eh hem- chunks and some spotting and some red blood before I knew I was pregnant. I thought it was my period.. so you never know. Though it could be a miscarriage. I would suggest heading to the doctor.

myspace

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search