help

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello,

I think this is the right place for this thread...if not please delete or edit.

I am new to the forum. I have posted an intro though!

I am 20 years old and just recently bought and moved into my first home.

There is a possibility I may be pregnant, but I am not on insurance and havnt been since I moved out of my Grandmother's house to my own home.

Somehow I missed open enrollment at my work. When I asked about it...they told me they really dont send out memos or anything.

I tried an independant insurance company but their rates for maternity coverage were through the roof. Even the agent suggested I wait for open enrollment in a few months.

SO I came on here for some advice! Thank in advance.

Kelli
August 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Hi Kelli

Welcome to the Unplanned Pregnancy board. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Have you looked into Medicaid? Make sure you fill out a Pregnancy Medicaid form. If you make over $2,500 a month (after taxes) then you may not qualify. Although they make exceptions for pregnant women. It is definitely something to consider even if you do make a lot each month. You never know whether they will accept you or not.

Check out other insurance agencies for quotes. One may be really expensive while another agency offers a plan for much less. Call every single one you can.

If you are denied for Medicaid and cannot purchase an individual plan then check out your State risk pool. Each State offers a "risk pool" insurance plan for people that cannot find it anywhere else.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!

</div>
August 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Hi Kelli

Welcome to the Unplanned Pregnancy board. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Have you looked into Medicaid? Make sure you fill out a Pregnancy Medicaid form. If you make over $2,500 a month (after taxes) then you may not qualify. Although they make exceptions for pregnant women. It is definitely something to consider even if you do make a lot each month. You never know whether they will accept you or not.

Check out other insurance agencies for quotes. One may be really expensive while another agency offers a plan for much less. Call every single one you can.

If you are denied for Medicaid and cannot purchase an individual plan then check out your State risk pool. Each State offers a "risk pool" insurance plan for people that cannot find it anywhere else.

Hope this helps you. Good luck![/b]
thank you very much!
August 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM
monkey71786's Avatar Super Mommy
I know that in the state of Texas, they changed the law. That no matter how much you make you do qualify for Medicaid. They changed that law about a year and a half ago when i got pregnant with my son. They were about to tell me that i didn't qualify...but i got lucky because the day before the new law went into effect. I think that many states are like that now. As long as you are pregnant they can't deniy you. The only thing is that you need to find some sort of planed parenthood because you have to show a letter stating that you are pregnant to the medicaid office (that is what i had to do for my son and daughter. I was on it with both of my kids.) Also you can try googling for your deparntment of health services and there should be a number you can call. Also see if you have a toll free number that you can call for information. I know that here in texas all we have to do is call 211 and they give us information on wic, medicaid, daycare assistants, etc. Good luck and i hope you find out the information that you need.

August 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
AlaynasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AlaynasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AlaynasMommy
Medicaid really depends on income and if you bought your first home, I don't know if you'd qualify. However, try anyway. It's worth the try! If not, try to contact your state to see if there is any way you can get assistance from them.

August 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Medicaid really depends on income and if you bought your first home, I don't know if you'd qualify. However, try anyway. It's worth the try! If not, try to contact your state to see if there is any way you can get assistance from them.[/b]

oh stink. Well i co own in with my fiance. He is the primary. I really hope I qualify. I went online and filled out an online application. So we'll see how that goes. I am just really unsure how this all works.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search