I just lost my job ..

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I lost my job today... no clue how I am going to do, I don't think anybody would hire a pregnant woman or even as a temp...

Great
September 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you aren't showing, theres no reason why you would have to tell any employer that you are pregnant. I know in Canada at least, its actually illegal for a company to ask if you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant. Good luck with your search! I know its not easy.

Im showing and want to find a second pt job thats just mon - fri days. Good luck right? I'm having the same issues, I *think* with a t shirt I can cover it up and hopefully just look fat if I get an interview somewhere.

September 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was working for a temp agengcy when I found out I was pregnant, and I told them after my 6 week job ended and they asked if I was ready for another job right away... so they were fine with it.

I ended up looking for a part-time job when I was starting to show, I hide the belly at the interview, but never told anyone. They hired me and watched my belly continue to grow. Then I stopped working at about 38 weeks.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

September 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry.

How far along are you?

September 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry.

How far along are you?[/b]
8 weeks, hitting 9 next Friday. Not showing at all. I can see my belly changed but not "pregnant" looking at all. More like "slow down on the cookies" looking lol

Is it true that I shouldn't carry anything heavy? Or can I carry weight such as boxes?

This temp agency is bad anyway, when i wasn't pregnant they wouldn't find me decent assignment, whats new now

Edited =)
September 19th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Mummy_Boo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry.

How far along are you?[/b]
8 weeks, hitting 9 next Friday. Not showing at all. I can see my belly changed but not "pregnant" looking at all. More like "slow down on the cookies" looking lol

Is it true that I shouldn't carry anything heavy? Or can I carry weight such as boxes?

This temp agency is bad anyway, when i wasn't pregnant they wouldn't find me decent assignment, whats new now

Edited =)
[/b]
Hi my names Becky and am 10 weeks preggo at 18 yrs, i work full time over nights which in a few months time u dont think will be healthy...

Can i ask why you lost your job and where are you from?

Also did your employer where you were working, know you are preggo??

Hope it all works out for you, theres always a way hun x

Thankyou Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*
For My Beautiful Siggy
Thaya + Jasmin + Imogen =
My Heart, My Life, My Soul

September 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
eribabe
i was just "let go" yesterday too. i told my boss i was pregnant pretty much the day i found out. ( i work at a daycare) she acted excited, said she'd support me and all that. she told me monday that she put my job on craigslist because she thinks i need to go part time. keep in mind i'm only 9 weeks along. she also said that i must tell all the staff and families. i said i wouldnt tell them and she said "that's how i run this place, we need to part ways."

this sounds illegal to me, anyone else?

I'm so sorry you lost your job! I would try working at an Elem school or babysitting. Somewhere supportive of children maybe. GOOD LUCK. This kind of stuff always works itself out. Where do you live? I can help you do a job search if you want help!
September 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Mummy_Boo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
i was just "let go" yesterday too. i told my boss i was pregnant pretty much the day i found out. ( i work at a daycare) she acted excited, said she'd support me and all that. she told me monday that she put my job on craigslist because she thinks i need to go part time. keep in mind i'm only 9 weeks along. she also said that i must tell all the staff and families. i said i wouldnt tell them and she said "that's how i run this place, we need to part ways."

I'm so sorry you lost your job! I would try working at an Elem school or babysitting. Somewhere supportive of children maybe. GOOD LUCK. This kind of stuff always works itself out. Where do you live? I can help you do a job search if you want help![/b]
I totally think this is Unfair dismissal!!!! Seems to me your Boss was trying to make a reason up to ''let you go'' i would look more in to it!

Thankyou Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*
For My Beautiful Siggy
Thaya + Jasmin + Imogen =
My Heart, My Life, My Soul

September 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Star's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

this sounds illegal to me, anyone else?[/b]
Yes that sounds illegal. I work at a daycare and was hired to be a substitute. The girl I was supposed to be subbing for was hired when she was 6 months pregnant. She ended up having the baby and not returning. I would look into your states work laws. Find out if you needed to legally tell the parents you were pregnant. Oh, and the pregnant girl I replaced worked fulltime.

Thanks to mtdk454 for the beautiful siggie!!

September 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
Unfortunately guys.. it's not illegal. (it should be). If you've worked there less than a year or the place you work has less than 50 employees, then they can fire you *for* being pregnant (though many choose not to word it that way). You're only garunteed your job or any (unpaid, at that) maternity leave after one year of employment.

As for being hired.. I was 7 months pregnant and got hired into a place.. I hid it, being the wuss I am. (thought they might see it fit to find another candidate). I was able to hide it. You don't have to tell them.. heck, if you're only that far along.. I WOULDN'T tell them.. then after about 3 weeks of employment, come in all surprised and say "Guys!!! I'm pregnant!!!"

If you are kind of showing.. best bet is to wear a skirt. Much easier to hide. And a business jacket. They do wonders.

You can lift in the beginning of your pregnancy as long as it's not too much weight and it's an amount that you've been lifting and are accustomed to...

hope everything works out! Good luck.

myspace
September 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Quote:

I'm so sorry you lost your job! I would try working at an Elem school or babysitting. Somewhere supportive of children maybe. GOOD LUCK. This kind of stuff always works itself out. Where do you live? I can help you do a job search if you want help![/b]

{{LURKING}}

I have worked in daycares for a long time, and let me tell you that is not right! They have to give you warnings, Im not sure how long you worked there, but what she did was wrong. The daycare actually has no right to say anything about you leaving the school to anyone. They are not allowed to say, oh she was pregnant so she had to leave, or anything of that personal nature.

Where do you live if you dont mind my asking??? Was this a lisenced daycare with an accredited director???

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
September 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Everything is going wrong for me anyway. People assure you they are your friends and when put to the test I realize they aren't such great friends. Maybe it's a lot to ask them, but isn't it what friends are there for too, support us in our decisions?

The father keeps coming back on what he says.. I don't know... I'm about to tell him off for good. I am about to tell the whole world off!
September 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM
jhappy36's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jhappy36

OMG, I am sooo sorry you are going through this on top of being newly pregnant.

I hope that you are able to find something new and I agree.....you don't have to tell prospective employers that you are pregnant. I got hired at two different places while pregnant.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress. Thinking of you tons!

Jan

September 29th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I wonder if it's wrong from me to just kick the father out of my life since he shows no interest in the baby other than a great ideal "I'll take care of my baby" (might want to start now, champ). I mean he obviously doesn't care.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search