50 Ways to Marry Your Lover

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
My bf and I just got engaged. I still haven't told my family I'm pregnant. My hope is to be able to say something like, "Mike and I are married, yay! Oh, and by the way, I'm pregnant." It's silly, I know, but sometimes a little silliness can help you through the rough moments.

We've talked a bit about eloping to Las Vegas, and I think it'd be kinda fun. Unfortunately, Mike has a fear of flying (due to a rough experience on his way back from Japan a few years ago), and I just don't have the sick/personal leave or vacation days to drive out there.

Are there other places where it's easy to get married? What needs to be done to get married? All I know is we need a marriage license and someone to marry us. Has anyone gone the elopement route, and how did it work out?
October 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM
MelKD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends on your state. In TX, both of ya'll go to the county clerk's office and get the license and pay the fee for the license (in TX, $41), then you have to wait 72 hours before you can use it (I guess they wanna give you a few days to think about whether or not you really wanna do this!) It expires 30 days after you get it, so you have to have a Justice of the Peace or an ordained minister marry ya'll within that time limit. You can just schedule to do something at the JP's office, and they set their own fees, so call around and find out what they are.

Good luck!

Keeping the November 2008 PR in my Prayers

October 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
we did vegas. Even though you aren't going with that option, I do remember some of the specifics. (though I think Vegas almost has a "drive-thru" option)

Because it was Vegas, they did not require blood work (I don't know how long it takes to get it back in a normal marriage.. probably a few days to a few weeks.)

We went to the courthouse early in the day and picked up the paperwork (found websites online that had the form and what to bring.. so we had everything filled out and were able to just drop it off and pick up the stuff we needed)

We had reservations at a chapel.. (I think we made them a week in advance) and as part of it, a limo picked us up and took us.. the whole thing was really quick (and fun!)

I wouldn't have done it any other way.

If you intend to marry in your state, then try looking up what you need to have (in other words.. what blood work must be done, what papers must be filled out and completed.. what will you have to tip the minister or judge (usually about 50$)) stuff like that.

I'm sure you can find a wedding chapel in your area.. or you could just go to the courthouse.

myspace
October 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I like the idea of getting eloped. Me & K haven't spoken about marriage yet, but if it happened to come up during the course of my pregnancy, I think I would opt to get eloped. Soooooo much cheaper!

Good luck!

October 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But I am getting married in Vegas when I turn 21...

Sorry, I am no help though. I know nothing about marriage.

October 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
haha. that was the only downside for me, nikki.. I was only 19 (though he was 23) so I didn't get to do anything outside of getting married. It was still really fun though.

myspace
October 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
asianmama
oregon- u dont need blood work-
hubby and i went to the county court house paid i think 50 dollars for the liecense-- u bring ur id, birth certificate, the money, fill out bunch of questionaires, they process it ,give u a formal liencse the ones people frame and then the regular liecense- we went with apastor- befor the wedding service we did a met up with the pastor- gave the documents to him since he had to sign them- on the day of our wedding after the service the pastor gave us the "formal one" and mailed the regular liesence to the county court house and 2 weeks later we got that copy in the mail...
October 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
JamieLea
Lurking - I eloped in Florida earlier this year. We got pregnant then so I really did get to say I'm married and pregnant so PM me if you need to talk.

We looked up all the info from the county courthouse so we knew what we needed and how much. We went to the Courthouse, paid money, and filled out the paperwork. Since we were out of state there was no waiting period. We didn't need a blood test.

Most of the time you can use the justice of the peace at the courthouse but you usually need an appointments so be sure you check for the days and hours they do them.

Good luck!
October 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
haha. that was the only downside for me, nikki.. I was only 19 (though he was 23) so I didn't get to do anything outside of getting married. It was still really fun though.[/b]

Also lurking: Here in WI you can drink and all that fun stuff if you marry an of age husband. I was 19 and DH 31 when we married and we went to bars and stuff.

The liscense here cost 75.00 I think, no bloodwork and we did a court marriage just cuz we dont have many family or friends anyway

October 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
asianmama
Quote:
Quote:
haha. that was the only downside for me, nikki.. I was only 19 (though he was 23) so I didn't get to do anything outside of getting married. It was still really fun though.[/b]

Also lurking: Here in WI you can drink and all that fun stuff if you marry an of age husband. I was 19 and DH 31 when we married and we went to bars and stuff.

[/b]
--oregon is the same-
October 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
that is so unfair!!!!!!! lol. Little momentary child-like tantrum. So I could have enjoyed having wine and all the other glories before turning 21? psh. I turned 21 5 months into this pregnancy, so I have YET to be able to order a glass of merlot with steak.. it's all I want.. haha. Sorry. Done with my rant now...

How do you prove that you are married? Do you have to carry your marriage license? Sorry if that's a dumb question.. I would just think that lots of under 21-ers would try to pull that.

myspace
October 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
asianmama
they never questioned me-- on date nights or whatever we get seating in the bar for dinners no questions asked no problems. when the two of us are together and go in the liquor store they also never id me. on my bday when i order " my first legal" drink the waitress just took the order and then my hubby is like ( arent u gonna check her id. in a joking matter) and she was like oh yea. i should do that shouldnt i?
November 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
pmdc5286's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pmdc5286 Send a message via Yahoo to pmdc5286
My DH and I just eloped! We went to Gatlinburg, TN. We did the pre-application for the marriage lic on line and picked it up about 4 hrs before we got married. We are expecting late June, so yes we got married because of the pg. It will be my 3rd (I have a son who turned 11 Fri and a 4 yr old) and it will be his first. We are both excited, even though I had a horrible time with my dau.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

TTC #3, Our first together

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search