Prenatal Tests

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2005, 09:58 PM
AnnikasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AnnikasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AnnikasMommy
I feel like I am always posting. I need to STOP!!!!

My OB/ GYN and I have an awesome relationship. She has been my Dr for 10 years now and I can pretty much ask her anything.

Today I couldnít sleep. Someone had emailed me an article where people were suing their Drís because when their child was born there was a physical disability or something along those lines. They said that if they had known they would have terminated their pregnancies. It just broke my heart. I have always given handicapped riding lessons and my students were always such an inspiration to me.

I got to thinking, all these tests they run when you go to your appointments; do they detect birth defects such as Downs Syndrome? I feel like asking this question makes me a shallow person. I know that my child will be loved no matter what. I would never terminate a pregnancy based on this. I think the reason I want to know is to kind of prepare.

Does this make me a bad person?? Do Doctors understand when you ask these kinds of questions? I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon and Iím just kind of on the fence post. I donít want OB to think any less of me or the people of this message board.

I guess this runs along the lines of being scared to death. I said earlier was going to quit reading this message board while at work, I need to quit posting also. GOOD GRIEF I need my hormonal balance back!!!!

September 29th, 2005, 06:50 AM
nat81
I know here in Canada, an amnio (which detects birth defects and downs) is optional but strongly recommended to women over 35. Your routine U/S could dectect any problems but it is usually too late to do anything from that point on...

My doctor told me that if I new I would have an abortion if my baby had any problems, I should do the amnio, but if it didn't matter to me, then I wouldn't have to do it... Needless to say, I didn't have one.
September 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a test called the AFP or triple screen or quad screen (all basically the same test) that screens for your risk of having a child with a birth defect. You should have had it by now though (they usually offer it around 16ish weeks). Maybe your dr ran that test but didnt say anything because everything came back normal. Ask about it at your next appt.

September 29th, 2005, 08:36 AM
AnnikasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AnnikasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AnnikasMommy
Well I had some kind of test done in the beginging, where they took a million viles of blood. I was going to ask my Dr what exactly that was. She probably told me but back then I was so overwhelmed that I don't think I paid close attention. The last blood work I had was for the spinal bifida (sp). I guess I am finally "feeling" pregnant. I think I cried for about an hour this morning. I'm not sure if it's hormones or just plain tired. I worked last night and should have already been asleep. Have to be up at noon to get to Dr's visit. It's already 930. I just can't seem to keep the tears at bay and not really sure why. I'm always the "strong" one in the family and just am not use to these feelings. I guess my biggest problem is I am so scared to death. I have always been great with other children but will I be just as great with my own??? I am so glad I have a three day weekend. I don't think I could make it another full night at work. Ok here come the water works again. I need to go lay down for a bit. I will talk to everyone maybe tomorrow or something.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

September 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM
nat81
Hang in there, you'll be fine!
September 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
momma06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to momma06 Send a message via Yahoo to momma06
They do an amniocentesis. If they think you are high risk for having a down syndrome person that's when they'll usually do the test. First they take blood and if the numbers are abnormal that could indicate down syndrome in the baby so then they do the amnio which is sticking a needle into the uterus to get a sample. If you are looking for other birth defects there are other tests to do that with this is just a specific one for downs syndrome. Usually they find the problem before birth but sometimes it just occurs. Like people who get into car crashes and get brain damage are mentally challenged from then on (usually). It just happens.

September 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only tests I got done were whatever they took my blood for in the very begining, before I even saw an OB. I haven't had any other tests done because it would be a waste of time for me since I would not have terminated this pregnancy if something were wrong. And so far with my ultrasounds and a 4D one everything seems fine. I do agree it is good to be prepared though. I missed the boat on the AFP test and the doctor told me it was to late to take it and reconfirmed what I had already told her about not terminating the pregnancy. As for the amnio it causes a misscariage in 1 in 200 pregnancy's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search