Pregnant and so many questions

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Regular
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I found out I was pregnant a little over a week ago. Already went to planned parenthood with questions and didn't leave there with really any answers so maybe someone on here can answer them. Also sorry if I am ranting. I don't really have many people to talk about this with. Let me start by saying I have had 3 miscarriages that I know of in the last 4 years and my son passed away from SIDS at two months old about a year and a half ago. I was not TRYING to get pregnant but my boyfriend and I were not exactly TRYING NOT to either. I will be 24 years old this year. I had my last period on February 9th. My cycles usually last between 24 and 26 days and my period is usually 3 days. I had unprotected sex on Feb. 17th and 27th. On the 28th I started feeling sick and throwing up. I just felt weird. When the symptoms didn't go away I took the First Response test on the 1st and 2nd both positive. On the 4th I got a 3rd positive test at planned parenthood. Now the VERY unhelpful people at planned parenthood didn't think it was possible for me to test positive this soon. Also they said there was a chance that I was farther along then I though. I keep very good records of when my periods are. The afternoon of the 4th I started spotting VERY faintly for about 24 hours. I though for sure I was going to miscarry again but it stopped. Now here are my questions:

Could the pregnancy test really have picked up that I was pregnant only 3 weeks from the start of my last period?
How likely is it that my "last" period was not really a period after all?
If I really did have my period on the 9th then did i conceive on the 17th or 27th?
Why am I feeling nausea this early? (I don't remember this from my last pregnancy)
Could the spotting on the 4th have been implantation bleeding?
I thought pregnancy test couldn't test positive until after implantation occurred?
Is there anything I can do to prevent a miscarriage? (I quit smoking and drinking the day I tested positive)
Are my chances high of a miscarriage? (I am scared to death of one)
I am with a new boyfriend then all the previous pregnancies could the guy I was with had anything to do with all the miscarriages I was having?

And just in case you are wondering I am making an appointment with my doctor on monday these are just questions I am wondering while I am waiting on an appointment.

Thank You very much for listening to me and any information would be great!
March 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
if you are pregnant from one of those two dates it would be the 17th. it takes 10 days past ovulation for a positive result. (has to be enough time to implant and build up enough hcg to show up)

However, I would think that because you're already feeling sick, there;s a good possibility that it might have happened previously and last month when you thought you got your period you didn't. Was anything irregular about your last period AT ALL? When I was pregnant the first time (with my daughter) I thought FOR SURE I was having my period. I was bleeding pretty heavily and I even (tmi) used tampons and pads. But at some point it became very old/dead blood (it was brown to maroon in color) and I figured out that something was up.

In my experience, if you've bled and thought it was your period but you're really pregnant.. there's something a little off about the "so-called period" in question.

The spotting could have been leftover implantation bleeding depending on the color of the blood. If it was red or pink it wouldn't have been implantation blood, though. However, if it WAS red or pink, there are many many many things it could have been other than the start of a miscarriage.

Odds are even if you were pregnant and didn't know it and you smoked and drank, it wouldn't make you have a miscarriage. There's nothing more you can do than you're already doing to stop it.. but it doesn't sound like you are.

miscarriages in the past COULD have had to do with the old boyfriend. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes you're just not very genetically compatable and so the majority of the eggs and sperm that unite just don't mesh, so to speak, and end up in self-termination due to some sort of genetic difference.

However, there are also (unfortunately) many OTHER reasons for miscarriage.. have you seen doctors about why you're having so many miscarriages at such a young age? Could it be a thyroid problem?

Either way, I'm sure the doctor will be able to tell you when you conceived... especially if you express confusion about the date.

I am so happy for you! Congrats!

and I know it's really off topic, but I'm very sorry for the loss of your son, and all of your previous miscarriages. I just had a miscarriage that ended last week and I know it's not easy.. I hope this one sticks for you. Please keep us updated!!!

oh.. and WELCOME!!! haha (sorry, that should have come first) I'm Jackie (21) married to Jared (25) and we have one daughter, Libby, who is 4.5 months old.

myspace
March 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Hi & welcome to JM! I hope you stick around and join one of the due date clubs!

I'm really sorry about the loss of your son and other babies. I hope this is a sticky bean for you!

My guess would be you ovulated on/around cycle day (CD) 8 because you can O at any point during your cycle. Sometimes it changes depending on if you're stressed/traveling, etc. but you can O at any time. If you O'd on CD 8 that would be feb 17th. then you would be approx. 13 DPO (days past ovulation) when you tested + on the 1st... which is enough time for baby to implant and begin producing enough hcg to test +. Was the bleeding/spotting red/pink in color or brown? It could have just been old blood (brown) or it could have been from something bothering your cervix (did you have sex?)

How far along were you when you had your other miscarriages, were you early on? If so, you may have a progesterone deficiency. I would make sure your doctor is aware of your previous m/c's and that you were spotting on the 4th in case he wants to put you on progesterone.

Let's see about these questions....

Could the pregnancy test really have picked up that I was pregnant only 3 weeks from the start of my last period? -- yes, if you ovulated within the first week than the two weeks time in between was enough for baby to implant and begin producing hcg

How likely is it that my "last" period was not really a period after all?
I'm not sure b/c 1. I've never been pg, and 2. I'd need to know more about that 'period' -- but a doctor will be able to guestimate your date of conception... I think with the dates you provided though, this last cycle seems a possibility.

If I really did have my period on the 9th then did i conceive on the 17th or 27th?
I'd say the 17th. you def. didn't conceive on the 27th if you tested + on the first.

Why am I feeling nausea this early? (I don't remember this from my last pregnancy) Each pregnancy is unique and different.

Could the spotting on the 4th have been implantation bleeding? No because you were already testing + before that.

I thought pregnancy test couldn't test positive until after implantation occurred?
exactly right

Is there anything I can do to prevent a miscarriage? (I quit smoking and drinking the day I tested positive)
Not really, lots of rest & water... you may want to ask your doctor about progesterone

Are my chances high of a miscarriage? (I am scared to death of one)
I've read that the chances of a m/c are about 20% until you've heart the heartbeat (around 6 weeks)

I am with a new boyfriend then all the previous pregnancies could the guy I was with had anything to do with all the miscarriages I was having?
I don't really know, but what Jax says makes sense to me.

I hope everything works out for you! here's some sticky dust!

March 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well the first two ladies pretty much covered everything

I hope this one sticks!

March 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Regular

However, I would think that because you're already feeling sick, there;s a good possibility that it might have happened previously and last month when you thought you got your period you didn't. Was anything irregular about your last period AT ALL? When I was pregnant the first time (with my daughter) I thought FOR SURE I was having my period. I was bleeding pretty heavily and I even (tmi) used tampons and pads. But at some point it became very old/dead blood (it was brown to maroon in color) and I figured out that something was up.
In my experience, if you've bled and thought it was your period but you're really pregnant.. there's something a little off about the "so-called period" in question.
hum... from what i can remember that period seemed pretty normal. My periods last usually 3 days and if i remember right the last one lasted a little under 3 days... like 2 1/2.... this is a horrible feeling wondering how far along I really am.... I wont get to go in to see my doctor for about 2 weeks when i get the insurance straightened out. My boyfriend was willing to pay for me to go sooner but it's $600 bucks for an sonogram and the first visit.... that doesn't include blood work or anything like that... so we decided to wait the 2 weeks if possible.

The spotting could have been leftover implantation bleeding depending on the color of the blood. If it was red or pink it wouldn't have been implantation blood, though. However, if it WAS red or pink, there are many many many things it could have been other than the start of a miscarriage.
The spotting was a bright pink. I had not had sex since the 27th. Not sure what would have caused it. I also had slight cramps from about a day or two before the spotting threw a day or two after wards.
miscarriages in the past COULD have had to do with the old boyfriend. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes you're just not very genetically compatible and so the majority of the eggs and sperm that unite just don't mesh, so to speak, and end up in self-termination due to some sort of genetic difference.
I had always wondered about with my ex-boyfriend. We had been together for 3 years and were trying to have a baby. I had forgot to mention that he had also had a baby with another girl before me and she had to have an abortion at 6 months along because the babies spinal cord did not connect to the brain. Also the baby had a large opening in it's skull. I'm wondering if that too had to do with his "genetics"... After our son passed away we ended up splitting up but we are still friends now.
However, there are also (unfortunately) many OTHER reasons for miscarriage.. have you seen doctors about why you're having so many miscarriages at such a young age? Could it be a thyroid problem?

How does the thyroid cause miscarriages? I have had a doctor tell me my thyroid glans were enlarged before but the next doctor said I was fine...? Wondering how that might have caused them?

March 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I don't know anything about miscarriages or cycles (Im really bad w/ those lol) but I hope if you are pregnant, this baby sticks for you!!
March 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Veteran
Congrats and good luck! sending sticky dust your way!

Keep us updated
March 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck to you and take care of yourself Post updates too!!!
March 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi I have only had ONE unplanned pregnancy and lost the baby at about 4-6 weeks pregnant which I believe was a good sign from the Lord above since the guy left me for ex who already had 2 of his kids. Anyway, enough of me rambling.
Sorry for your losses and your loss of your son. That is tragic to lose a baby like that.
1) I tested positive on 2 tests when I was 12DPO (days past ovulation) which isn't even 2 week after I ovulated. Hope that answers that question.
2) It is very likely that your "last" period may have been IB (implanation bleeding).
3) It is called morning sickness. Quite a bit of pregger women get it. All pregnancies are different.
4) refer to the answer in #2
5) you can relax, take things nice and easy, bedrest may help, but it is all in gods hands. there is nothing anyone can do to prevent a miscarriage. they happen when they happen and all you can do is get up after you fall and try try again.
6) it is a known fact that if you have had AT LEAST 2 miscarriages, your risk for miscarriages in the future is high.
7) no there is nothing this guy is doing to cause miscarriages. the reason they happen is that the baby/fetus/egg just has a hard time sticking to the uterine wall. it could be a medical reason behind it and that is somehting you would have to discuss with an OB/GYN about.

March 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Jax
the majority of miscarriages are due to lack of genetic compalibility...

As for thyroid (I totally tried to answer this before, but my computer is officially stupid), hypo makes you lose the baby unless you're medicated properly. Hyper does not, but can lead to an underweight child. It has to do with how well your thyroid gland is functioning.. hyper is TOO much, hypo is too little. I couldn't tell you WHY hypo aborts the baby.. I knew in the early stages of my pregnancy because I was hyper so I researched both kinds.. but I've forgotten. Definitely call your doctor and ask about the miscarriages and possibly reasons, though.

I do know that some of the signs of hypothyroidism are weight gain, inability to make the weight come off, sluggishness, exhaustion.. all that jazz.

Good luck and keep us updated!

myspace

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search