Weaning trouble with css?

Forum: Closely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Closely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious about a potential problem with having CSS: weaning. For example, did you have trouble weaning your older child off the pacifier when your younger child still had one? Zadie only gets her paci when she's going to sleep or if she's crying loudly in public due to getting hurt or being tired, but if she sees one she'll whine for it or snatch it. I'm wondering if I'll have a problem with her stealing her baby brother's paci I don't plan on him having one on him all the time, but I can't predict what he's going to need/want. What do you think?

She's been off the bottle since 11 months, so that's not an issue. But I don't really want to wean her from her paci right now. I'm not even sure how hard it will be. I was planning on waiting until about 2yrs. She weaned herself from the bottle and she has never had attachment issues with a toy or blanket, so I've never had to deal with this sort of thing. I am hoping for a natural process with the paci, too.
May 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought this was going to be a big issue with us before James was born. Will was 15 months and we had gotten him down to just using his paci at bedtime. I didn't think he would be ready to completely get rid of it before the baby came plus thought he didn't need the extra changes on top of a new baby around. I was surprised but Will did very well not using James' pacifier. I got ones for James that were a different color so he knew which one was his and which ones were James'. He did try putting the paci in his mouth a few times but mostly just to be funny and get attention not really to use it. We then ended up completely weaning him when he was around 18 months.

[
May 16th, 2010, 04:35 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We had (and still have) that problem.. Alyssa was completely rid of her soother but when Rylan was born she kept taking his so we just ended up giving it back to her. I've got them both pretty much of it now (Rylan only gets it at bed time, Alyssa doesn't at all). I know a lot of people don't have this issue at all though, just depends on the child I guess.
May 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
AmandaR
Neither of my kids have ever used pacis, so no issue for us there. I do someone who had this issue with her bottle weaned child wanting his new siblings bottle. I think it depends on the baby though. DD weaned from the bottle at 10 months and DS was born 3.5 months later. She has never tried to drink from his bottle, she knows it's his and will even hold it for him.
May 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
My 2 year old was very dependant on a paci when her new brother came along, who also quickly became attached to the binky. I struggled with feeling guilty about taking DD's away, since her brother got one, i didnt want her to feel like we were favoring him. When DS was around 3 months old, he decided he would rather suck his thumb, so that first week he refused the binky, i took DDs away during the day. I still let her have it at nap and bedtime, becuase it helps her sleep. But not at all during the day. It was hard for a few days, she cried and whined for it, and occasionally will still ask for it, but mostly she knows now that it is for "nite nite" and she doesnt push the issue.

I dont have a problem with her having it to sleep, but that is just me. If you really dont want her to have it anymore, just take it away. You can cut all the tips off in front of her and show her that they are broken. And you can even try and introduce a different kind of Paci than what she uses, so she may not associate what he has with what she used to have.

Also, i made sure that the binkies i had for charlie were all the same color, that what she would be able to tell the difference between her own ( which she recognized by color) and there would be times where she would pick on up and say "bubba" ( which is her brother to her lol)

Last edited by dream2bemommy22; May 16th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
May 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice and examples

I think if I have a certain color paci on a certain paci holder for Apollo DD will be good about it. She does really well with not taking other kids' pacies at the nursery. Since she only takes a paci when she sleeps we only have two, so she is very familiar with those two colors.

We'll see how it goes when the time comes!
May 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I expected problems, but I really didn't have any. I gave my kids different kinds of binkies though, and I didn't wean my oldest off hers until over 2 1/2. At that point her brother who was 14 months younger still had his. She also was still on the bottle when he was born, but she gave that up a few months later too (like 18 months.)

Now some things I have just had to bite the bullet and do at the same time. When they were both toddlers I got rid of all the sippy cups at the same time, and they also gave up their naps at about the same time.
May 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
I weaned rhianna off her dummy at 11 months old and lacey came a month later, she did try to steal lacey dummies the first week but i kept taken them away and telling her that she was to big for dummies now & she didn't bother with them again

Lacey still has a dummy though so i don't have that problem at the moment!

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search