your kids room

Forum: Closely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mom2zachnmac
  • 1 Post By lmunoz8517

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Closely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
do your kids share a room?
do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them?
how old are your kids?

i have a four year old and a 20 month old, they "share" a room during the day while they play but ds still cosleeps with us in our room and dd sleeps in her bedroom at night. anyways we are having issues with her not cleaning it..i will help but i expect her to clean most of it since she makes the mess and she is 4 so to me that is plenty old enough to clean her own toys up. anyways she refuses...what would you do if your kids wouldnt help clean their mess? i have a all toys stay in the bedroom rule as well and she doesnt follow that either. im not sure what to do other then bag up all the toys and throw them away.
July 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 5 year old and 3.5 year old daughters share a room. They tidy it themselves, but we don't have toys in their rooms, just books.
July 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
mom2zachnmac's Avatar Super Mommy
ARGH i'm so mad....i was almost done with my post and it's gone. grrr. fine, i'll start over.

my kids are 3 (4 next month) 1 (2 next month) and 8 months. the older 2 are boys and share a room (no toys in it anymore as they constantly trashed the place) the 8month old girl has her own room for now. What helped here with toys was to put things like legos, etc that have tons of pieces so like barbies and accessories or whatever... in plastic bins with lids and puut them up on a high shelf. in order to play with something else that is in a bin she has to pick up what's out- the barbies have to be picked up to play with the leggos etc... so then our other misc toys are in bins in the living room and before snack or a routine cartoon or whatever it is in your house that happens everyday that she likes- she has to pick up before she gets her snack or gets to watch her show.
clouise and Happy Song like this.

[IMG][/IMG]
July 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do your kids share a room? yes N and E who are 4 and 3 share a room, and the 2.5 year old twins share a room

do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them? I have no toys, only clothes, books and dressers in their rooms, so there's nothing to clean

how old are your kids? see above

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
July 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
do your kids share a room? Yes, Alyssa and Rylan do.
do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them? They tidy it, and we deep clean it together every couple of weeks.
how old are your kids? Almost four, and 2.5.
July 25th, 2011, 12:53 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
My girls are 4 and 3 and they share a room, we also have their toys upstairs, and they make a massive mess! if i ask them to clean it they don't, daddy goes up stairs and "helps" tells them where to put things and encourages them and they do it.

I like the idea though of no snack, no cartoon time if they don't do it.

Lucas has his favourite toys downstairs since he is too little to go upstairs and play on his own, but when he gets older his toys will be upstairs too!

July 25th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Regular
My girls 10 & 12 share a room and my boys 8 & 11 share a room. Its their responsibility to keep it clean. The girls are usually pretty good. The boys usually end up having all their gadgets taken away til it gets cleaned.
July 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Dillan just turned 5, Chase is 2 will be 3 in Oct and Brianna is 22 months will be 2 in Sept. Dillan and Chase share a room, Brianna has her own. All 3 pick up thier toys on thier own (yes even Brianna), I don't help it is part of thier bedtime routine. They do a pretty good job, we have the occational melt down about it but it does get done before bedtime everynight. We have taken away toys in the past, we have acually cleared out thier room of all toys and put them all in the shed until they learned to take care of thier toys properly (we where having issues with them not pickng up after themselves and not being nice with the toys, hitting with them, standing on toys just to break them ect) we have toys in the living room as well so they had to repect those toys and clean them up when asked with no fights after 3 1/2 weeks of thier bedroom toys being taken away they finally got it and got them all back. It has been pretty smooth since

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

August 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have a play room and a sleep room. All 3 sleep in the same room and it has nothing but the 3 beds. The older 2 make their bed in the morning and take turns making Camerons bed.

For the playroom, the older two clean it up themselves and epriodically I go in and deep clean it. I also have the toys with small parts (in our case mainly potato heads and lincon logs) up on a high shelf. My 6 year old can reach them when he stands on a chair. They understand that they can only have one bucket off the top down at a time and if they dont put it up before taking another one down they get all of the buckets taken away for one week. All of the baby toys, blocks, books, dolls, and hotwheels are down where they all (even the one year old) can reach them.

There was a point in time where the older two didnt want to clean and it was a battle every single night. I packed up every single toy, except for the obvious baby toys in walmart bags. They got to earn one bag back a night (took about 2 weeks) as long as they cleaned their room without arguing about it. So far I think that was the best thing ever, if the moan about pick up time I just tell them to go get a grocery sack and they stop and pick up.

Sometimes they want help cleaning when it is really bad (the baby has his days) and those days I do go in and help but mainly just keep them company and clean up what I know the youngest destroyed
clouise likes this.
August 6th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunoz8517 View Post

There was a point in time where the older two didnt want to clean and it was a battle every single night. I packed up every single toy, except for the obvious baby toys in walmart bags. They got to earn one bag back a night (took about 2 weeks) as long as they cleaned their room without arguing about it. So far I think that was the best thing ever, if the moan about pick up time I just tell them to go get a grocery sack and they stop and pick up.

thats a really good idea!! i like the earn one bag back a night thing.
August 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now they have their own rooms. Aiden is 2 and Sophia is 1. Neither has toys in their rooms for the most part, just books and a few stuffed animals. They will be sharing a room once the baby arrives and I can transition Sophia to a big girl bed. I think I will have to get them a bunk bed as I don't know if I can fit two twin beds in Aidens room right now which is the room they will be sharing as the baby room (Sophia's room right now) is much smaller.

April 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
do your kids share a room?
do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them?
how old are your kids?

My girls share a room.....ages four and seven. I also have a six year old son and a one year old daughter and they have their own rooms. My children pick up their own rooms, but that was not something they could do at age four. They can now, because my older two lead the effort. Since they play in all the bedrooms they all have to help too...they start in their own room, and then when done go help siblings.

I have never made my kids keep their toys in their bedroom. What are they supposed to do all day? Sit in there alone and play? They want to be where I am of course, and that is usually downstairs in the living room. I mean do you keep all of YOUR things in one room only? The only rule I have as far as toys is they stay out of our bedroom. They have every other room to play in...they don't need to drag things into mommy and daddy's room.
May 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
we do a lot of things outside like ride bikes, chalk, they color at the kitchen table and do crafts, playdough etc. i just dont like the toys everyone from one end of the house to the next. My things stay in my room as well unless its something for the entire family like dvds etc. Maby its just the type of person i am but i hate mess, lol.
May 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Super Mommy
do your kids share a room? my boys share a room
do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them? they clean it but we keep toys out of their room. I help them clean the play room.
how old are your kids? 8,6, 6
June 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran
do your kids share a room? Yes. 2 to a rooms, except the youngest 3 girls share
do you have them clean it themselves or do you do it for them? They clean it themself but I'll help sometimes
how old are your kids? 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, 10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 4

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

July 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
Mine are 4, 3, and 14mos, and they all share a room right now, plus a play room. I help them clean it, obviously, but I mostly put their laundry away, they put their dirty clothes in the hamper, they put away their books and toys, and the older two are learning how to make their beds. Once baby #4 come in October, they'll be split up into 2 rooms, boys in one, girls in the other (we'll have 2 and 2). I imagine the upkeep will remain the same.
January 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
i ask my kids to do the magic and turn their messy room into tidy one in just 5 min. they do it happily and enjoy their magic... lol......... i also do some help if the room is too much messy.
June 23rd, 2013, 03:27 AM
Regular
My two sons ages 12 and 14 share a room, 2 girls share ages 8 and 11 and our 6yro unfortunetely is in our room til next year when we buy our house.... we have a big room though, he's in his own twin bed.

Need Baby Headbands or Bows? Check out my Site!
www.sweetbabybowtique.com (use coupon code JMS for 10% off!)

♥Serving the Boutique Community Since 2006♥

Like my Facebook page for lots of free giveaways too!
www.facebook.com/pages/SweetBabyBowtiquecom/121209864595773?ref=tn_tnmn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search