Definition of a baby?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Interesting information, but my point is the same... a law is based on opinions of men. Likewise, Canada's legal view on abortion (or lack of laws pertaining to it) is also based on the opinions of men. Essentially NOT having a law to prevent something, implies an acceptance that the action is permissible. What I find ironic is that while not choosing to impose a national law, Medicare pays for the procedure thus implying an acceptance or condoning of abortion there...

ETA: Here is a perfect example of how laws are subject to opinions and thus subject to change...I copied this from the article you linked:

"The court did not consider the question of whether the unborn were included in the “everyone” who have the right to life. The court was to hear Manitoba MLA Joe Borowski later that week with that very question as the central issue, but the case was rendered moot by the decision in Morgentaler which struck down the provisions that were to be challenged. The court has never considered the issue. Early attempts to fill the legislative vacuum failed politically, and no government has since dared to touch the issue. However, in a subsequent court decision (R. v. Sullivan [1991] 1 SCR 489), the court confirmed that a fetus is not a person until it is born and fully outside the woman's body."

Prior to 1991, Canada did not have a stance on the rights of the unborn... As of 1991 their stance is the same as here in the states, but who knows what the next 10 years will bring? It is still the opinion of the court at any given time in history that dictates our laws... Their decisions are even called "opinions" here in the US.

Thank you to Natasha for my incredible siggie!

Last edited by Lolly13; May 4th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
May 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I wasn't trying to argue your point. In ten years we could have a completely different way of life. In the meantime, I thought you'd find that interesting since you seem to care about law.

Honestly, I don't believe women have any say over their body when pregnant, abortion or not so I really don't care about the laws. If a woman has an abortion, miscarriage or keeps a baby, the all mighty OB/GYN's tell you what to do or not to do with your baby. God forbid you have any say. They treat us as if we are just too stupid to have an opinion.
May 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
I wasn't trying to argue your point. In ten years we could have a completely different way of life. In the meantime, I thought you'd find that interesting since you seem to care about law.

Honestly, I don't believe women have any say over their body when pregnant, abortion or not so I really don't care about the laws. If a woman has an abortion, miscarriage or keeps a baby, the all mighty OB/GYN's tell you what to do or not to do with your baby. God forbid you have any say. They treat us as if we are just too stupid to have an opinion.
Thanks for sharing... I truly did find the article interesting. And unfortunately, you are right about some women's OB's. I have personally found that if I do not stand up for myself and what I feel is the best care for me, I would be subjected to an assembly line mentality regarding healthcare. Too many women, especially poor and minority who find themselves expecting, don't have enough information to make informed decisions and rather than try to learn more they DO depend on their OB's who may or may not have their best interests at heart...It's sad because then the OB's opinion of what is 'best' for the patient (be it abortion or not) becomes reality.

Thank you to Natasha for my incredible siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search