egg donation

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
First off: I am opposed to abortion (FOR MYSELF, not necessarily for others) on ethical grounds. I'm not really interested in debating that at the moment, because it's not relevant to my question, which is:

For the others of you out there who are also opposed to abortion, what do you think about the ethics of egg donation? Would you ever consider donating your own eggs, knowing that there is a high possibility that some of those donated eggs would result in embryos that subsquently might be destroyed? (Or, alternatively, that the embryos might be planted in a recipient woman and result in a multiple pregnancy, and that that other woman might then choose to have a selective reduction?)

I'll be upfront and say that my husband and I are considering egg donation primarily for financial reasons. The financial incentives that are available if I were to become a donor are attractive, but I'm wrestling with the issue of whether or not this would be an ethical decision for me to make.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I would never donate my eggs for many reasons - and you listed some of those reasons above.
August 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Daddy
First of all, let me say I am opposed to abortion in certain circumstances, but not all.

I think egg donation is a great thing to help people realize their desire of having children when they are incapable of doing that naturally. Unless you are going to have more children, the eggs will eventually be destroyed anyway.

I am also curious how you apply ethical reasons for yourself that you would not apply to someone else. Isn't that just indicating a personal preference rather than an ethical issue? It is important to understand this because I don't see how there is an ethical/moral issue in what you are contemplating.
August 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am against abortion in most circumstances. I would not donate my eggs, for starters because I don't agree with fertility treatments, but also because it would bother me if someone were to then destroy the life I helped to create.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

Last edited by lizard; August 24th, 2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: change in wording
August 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt View Post
I am also curious how you apply ethical reasons for yourself that you would not apply to someone else. Isn't that just indicating a personal preference rather than an ethical issue? It is important to understand this because I don't see how there is an ethical/moral issue in what you are contemplating.
Well, I actually don't really think that other people should be having abortions, either, but as far as I'm concerned there are far bigger fish to fry. There are lots of things that I don't think other people should do, but I don't make a point of telling them about it. I'm really only in a position to decide what is and isn't ethical for myself, not for others (that is, for "grey area" issues such as abortion -- when things are more black and white, I'm perfectly willing to tell others what they should and shouldn't do).

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
OliviaAlexasMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't donate...

Thank you Christy72 for the beautiful siggy!

August 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do it- but not financial reasons. Dealing w/ infertility I have met a lot of women who have/are struggling with it, and know 1 person who had to use donor eggs. So yes, it would be beautiful to give someone this gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyferg View Post
The medical side effects of egg donation are harmful enough to make the financial glitter go away. Read about the drugs they give you to make you ovulate more, the risks of the procedure, etc.
The medical side effects? Yeah, there are some, but if you are willing to do this for someone, it is worth it. I went ovulation induction- a little less intense since I did IUI, but it wasn't bad. It is pretty rare that anything serious occurs.

But I agree, this should not be done for financial reasons.

August 31st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not believe in abortion for myself for ethical reasons also. However I would donate eggs in a heartbeat. Yes, some of them or their results may be destroyed however I believe that the zygote or whatever has to be in the body in order to be alive. If it is in a dish, I don't consider it a baby until it is implanted in a womb. But thats just me... Also most of my eggs will go to waste in my body and that is the truth. If there is a chance that it would give a childless couple a child, or help develop a treatment for cancer or something that would save lives I would absolutely be okay with that... but someone aborting a little fetus out of their womb, ripping it out of there, that turns my stomach. It's just different. I can't explain it. It's like... ok abortion = no hope and just kinda evil. Egg donation (even though some of them won't make it and will be destroyed) = hope on different levels (hope for a baby, hope for medical advance and saving lives). I dunno. I'm sure everyone feels differently about this one.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

August 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
Well, I actually don't really think that other people should be having abortions, either, but as far as I'm concerned there are far bigger fish to fry. There are lots of things that I don't think other people should do, but I don't make a point of telling them about it. I'm really only in a position to decide what is and isn't ethical for myself, not for others (that is, for "grey area" issues such as abortion -- when things are more black and white, I'm perfectly willing to tell others what they should and shouldn't do).
Can you clarify why you are generally opposed to abortion?
August 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I am against abortion...big time.

I would only donate eggs to someone I know and there would be a lot of stipulations. All eggs must be used...no selective reduction...etc.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
AmandaR
I couldn't donate my eggs (lots of reasons, some that you named and also I wouldn't feel comfortable having a biological child that I didn't know). I'm also prolife.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search