Aborting because of gender

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Super Mommy
My DSD was born with part of her arm missing. I know that there are people out there would would have aborted because she wasn't "perfect". It just blows my mind. She is the least "handicapped" person I have ever met. She's independent and so smart and such a wonderful child. She is in no way on earth defective.

Next thing you know, we'll all have one hair color, one eye color, one skin color, and one brain that's just cloned in each one of us. To me, that's where gender selection and vanity abortions lead.
December 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Veteran
Aww poor baby! I used to talk to a guy online that had no arms! He was born without them. He typed with his toes, played guitar and everything. Yes I saw pics of all of it! It was pretty amazing. But I guess if you've never had arms than it would be normal to you, but you'd still have to learn to function.

I think abortion should only be used in the extreme case of the mother dying, or the infant is sure to die from complications or have a very poor quality of life due to illness.
January 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ya know, this is a really sad part of life. I have 3 boys, and I want a daughter. Of course, I'm pregnant again and have no idea what the baby is right now, but I wouldn't love it any less if its a boy. I wouldn't even abort for medical reasons! I believe EVERYONE needs to be given a chance, but to abort for a GENDER reason, is beyond me!
January 30th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
wow... I'm VERY pro-choice but this just saddens me.
ditto

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 31st, 2010, 11:40 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
wow... I'm VERY pro-choice but this just saddens me.
Agreed. How disturbing.
January 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im pro choice too. But isnt a woman approx 18 - 20 wks when gender is found out?? I cant fathom ANY woman having an abortion that far along. If a woman is carrying "the wrong sex" she should give it to a loving couple that would take care of it and not care if its a girl, or a boy.

February 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow.

This makes me ill. Really. The gender isn't known till 18-20 weeks... sickening.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

February 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe this will be seen as nailing some of you to the wall, but I have to wonder if a pro-choice stance would stand firm even in a case like this? I've seen so many times people say that it's the woman's body to do with whatever she chooses. Even here? I haven't seen anyone say they would still support the woman in the OP's choice.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being pro choice doesnt mean that we think that *any* reason is ok for an abortion. Every woman and ever situation is different. Waiting 18 - 20 weeks just to find out the sex so then she can decide to abort is just wrong. So wrong.

February 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
lilflower
You can be pro-choice without being pro-abortion.
November 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
I think even 99.9% of pro-choicers would be hugely against this. No pro-choicers are actually pro-abortion... and this is abortion for funsies... sick.
November 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamommy View Post
Maybe this will be seen as nailing some of you to the wall, but I have to wonder if a pro-choice stance would stand firm even in a case like this? I've seen so many times people say that it's the woman's body to do with whatever she chooses. Even here? I haven't seen anyone say they would still support the woman in the OP's choice.
I support her right have an abortion, but I don't like the choice she made. I think there's a difference. I don't have to like what she's doing, but I can still support her right to do it.

November 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
I have no words.

Vanity abortions? Seriously? This goes way too far.

November 7th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Mega Super Daddy
It is an interesting subject.

Would people still be opposed to to this if they could find out the sex on the day of conception and take the morning-after pill? What if you could drink a solution prior to the sperm entering the egg that would automatically prevent a fertilized egg of one sex from ever implanting?

I think the issue that makes people the most squeamish is that by the time you can identify the sex the fetus is fairly identifiable as something human-like.
November 7th, 2010, 07:03 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is interesting, that it's so one sided, even from pro choicers.

i'm prochoice, very. I def think that a woman's body is her own, as is her choice. I have to wonder why a woman is trying to conceive, if the gender is THAT important. MOST women are thrilled to be successful, no matter the sex.

that's an interesting thought on the choose your sex baby meds too ^^
i wonder if people would find that different from genetically engineering a sex?

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
February 14th, 2011, 12:10 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm from the area of BC Canada that article is talking about. I think it's beyond disgusting that some cultures do that. And because of the high population of Chinese and East Indian people here we now have a terrible time finding out the gender of our babies

Apparently you can schedule an abortion up to about 20 weeks I believe. For this reason they schedule our ultrasounds between 18-20 weeks and WILL NOT tell us the gender during the ultrasound or until we have reached 21 weeks of pregnancy and then our Doctor is responsible for telling us. Even the 3D ultrasound places say now that you can't have a gender determination until after your regular diagnostic ultrasound.

It's annoys me! Because I want to know what my baby is earlier. People in my DDC are finding out as early as 15 weeks but because of my area I'm forced to wait (when I would in NO way consider aborting no matter how many times I got the same gender)

People who do that don't even deserve kids, and they ruin it for everyone else who would honestly like to know the gender of their child for the right reasons....

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyG410 View Post
I haven't personally known anyone with downs. Are there different levels of it? What is the quality of life like, and the level of understanding?
Down's syndrome children and adults do vary on their intellectual level and quality of life but two things constant I have seen in every person with Down's I met is 1. They are mentally handicapped, and 2. They are the happiest people I have ever met. They could be in the hospital sick and in pain and they will be smiling and telling you how happy they are to see you. Aborting a Downs baby is sad because they are a delight to be around.

As for the OP... I have two girls. I wanted a boy soo bad but I would not trade either of my girls for a boy. I wish I could have another child. I would gladly take 10 more girls. If You can think aborting because of the gender being different then what you want then you are sick and don't deserve a baby period.
February 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
3Kendra3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am tired of dumb people. I DO NOT agree with abortion AT ALL. But because people will do what people do I would seriously hope that it becomes illegal or draw the line somewhere. Everyone who has an abortion has to be forced to get a hysterectomy. No reverse and no way in the world they can have kids.

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
February 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
WOW Really? Everyone who has an abortion should have forced sterilization? I can understand being against abortion, but to take it to that extreme is just shockingly amazing.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kendra3 View Post
I am tired of dumb people. I DO NOT agree with abortion AT ALL. But because people will do what people do I would seriously hope that it becomes illegal or draw the line somewhere. Everyone who has an abortion has to be forced to get a hysterectomy. No reverse and no way in the world they can have kids.
Well that will sure take care of a womans reproductive rights.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search