Log In Sign Up

Men's Reproductive Rights


Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
January 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
lilflower
Guest
Posts: n/a
Should men have reproductive rights?

So far in my experience I have only met a handful of people that believe men should have these rights too.

What rights should men have?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
January 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
I have NO clue how it would work, but I do think men should have some say in terms of an abortion. That's their child, too, and I think it just sucks that a woman can decide to kill a man's baby without his consent. At the same time, I can see that being a VERY slippery slope, legally, and I'm not sure I like where it leads, either. I guess this is one of those issues that is more moral, than legal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
I have NO clue how it would work, but I do think men should have some say in terms of an abortion. That's their child, too, and I think it just sucks that a woman can decide to kill a man's baby without his consent. At the same time, I can see that being a VERY slippery slope, legally, and I'm not sure I like where it leads, either. I guess this is one of those issues that is more moral, than legal.
I 100% agree with this. I'm not sure how it would work either but I don't think it's right that a woman can have an abortion if the father wants to keep the child.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
lilflower
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Username View Post
Can you expound on what you mean by "reproductive rights"? Because I agree that men are entitled to reproductive rights according to the World Health Organization.

Because the WHO defines "reproductive rights" as this:
I guess my expansion would be close to the same as the WHO, but a little more? Before it ends up being moved into the abortion debate thread (because I don't intend on it being about abortion only) I am pro-life-choice. I think it should be legal to be able to obtain an abortion if needed.

I think men ought to be able to keep children that would otherwise be aborted because it only takes the mother's consent to abort. I think they ought to have to option to not be financially responsible for a child that they did not want if appropriate measures were taken to avoid pregnancy. I know it is a slippery slope in all aspects, I'm just not sure why we as women get to make these decisions, but men have none.

I think that being tricked into an unwanted pregnancy is the same as coercion, which they should be freed from. (Such as the mother taking fertility drugs without his knowledge)

I'm not saying that men shouldn't be responsible for birth control too, because they should, but should something happen they should have just as many options as we have.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Christy72
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
I have NO clue how it would work, but I do think men should have some say in terms of an abortion. That's their child, too, and I think it just sucks that a woman can decide to kill a man's baby without his consent. At the same time, I can see that being a VERY slippery slope, legally, and I'm not sure I like where it leads, either. I guess this is one of those issues that is more moral, than legal.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Username View Post
If this is about abortion rights, then I would say, that they should not have a say in what happens.

I have stated this before, but medically, when a woman becomes pregnant, SHE is the patient, not both of them. Also, if you are going to get technical, you are giving rights to a man's genetic material before it becomes a viable human being. If that happens, what about the genetic material that gets "wasted" when a man masterbates? If a man and his wife were trying to get pregnant, does she have a right to say what happens to that DNA from masterbation?

Think about it.
That just makes my heart sad.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think they should. Not necessarily where they can prevent or force a pregnancy, but if women can have an abortion men should be able to have a legal abortion that allows them to not have to care for a child they didn't want.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: G.R.I.T.S.~Girl Raised In The South
Posts: 10,125
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
IMO, a man's right extends to him being in control of his birth control or lack of birth control. If he chooses not to exercise birth control, then he needs to be prepared for the consequences which may include not having a say in what happens during a pregnancy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
January 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
IMO, a man's right extends to him being in control of his birth control or lack of birth control. If he chooses not to exercise birth control, then he needs to be prepared for the consequences which may include not having a say in what happens during a pregnancy.
So a woman can make the same choice and force a man to have to live with that for the rest of his life? Why are womens reproductive rights placed higher than a mans?
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
January 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
I don't believe ANYONE should have the right to choose not to be responsible for the child they created. Period. If you create a child, you should have the responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. Meaning either keep it, and support it financially, or give it up for adoption to someone who can. A child should never suffer because one (or both) parents didn't want to be responsible for their actions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
January 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollBabyKG View Post
I don't believe ANYONE should have the right to choose not to be responsible for the child they created. Period. If you create a child, you should have the responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. Meaning either keep it, and support it financially, or give it up for adoption to someone who can. A child should never suffer because one (or both) parents didn't want to be responsible for their actions.

But women hold all the power. THEY can decide to not have the child (i.e abortion), or to give it up (adoption) but a MAN is forced to care for a child that he has no choice not to.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
January 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
But women hold all the power. THEY can decide to not have the child (i.e abortion), or to give it up (adoption) but a MAN is forced to care for a child that he has no choice not to.
I get that it's one-sided and unfair. I don't think ANYONE should be able to choose not to care for a child they created, unless their life is in imminent danger. So, I'd rather err on allowing LESS people to choose to abandon a child than more, especially because I don't see abortion being banned anytime soon.

Supporting a child once they are here, however should not be optional. The only one who suffers when that child is denied financial (and emotional) support, is the child. And that's REALLY not fair. I'd rather a grown man get the short end of the stick than a child.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
January 8th, 2010, 02:56 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: G.R.I.T.S.~Girl Raised In The South
Posts: 10,125
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
So a woman can make the same choice and force a man to have to live with that for the rest of his life? Why are womens reproductive rights placed higher than a mans?
Beth unfortunately yes, and a lot of women do just that. Do I agree with it no, but that is just the way it is. This is why if a man/woman are not married and/or in a committed relationship, then the man does not need to depend on the woman for birth control-he needs his own backup bc. How many times do we hear "the pill failed" and I'm pregnant? At that point, it's all up to the woman. It would be WONDERFUL if she'd take his feelings into consideration since it's his child as well, but in the real world this does not always happen.

BUT if he had used his OWN condoms (and flushed it down the toilet himself) then he'd have a better chance at being in control of the situation, if condoms are what he chooses to use.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
January 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Beth unfortunately yes, and a lot of women do just that. Do I agree with it no, but that is just the way it is. This is why if a man/woman are not married and/or in a committed relationship, then the man does not need to depend on the woman for birth control-he needs his own backup bc. How many times do we hear "the pill failed" and I'm pregnant? At that point, it's all up to the woman. It would be WONDERFUL if she'd take his feelings into consideration since it's his child as well, but in the real world this does not always happen.

BUT if he had used his OWN condoms (and flushed it down the toilet himself) then he'd have a better chance at being in control of the situation, if condoms are what he chooses to use.
condoms fail too. And then a man, who tried to do the right thing, is now being forced to go along with whatever the woman decides. The woman gets to chose HIS fate. And there are women who trick men into getting pregnant and then the man has no say after that.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
January 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
*Jaime*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,063
I think that if a woman has the sole right to the decision of whether she will abort a baby, then he should have the option of signing away his rights during the same time frame. For example... if she has until her 16th week (I have no idea what the actual time frame is) to decide if SHE wants to have an abortion or keep the baby, then he should have until the 16th week to decided if he wants to be a dad or sign away his rights (or 16 weeks from the time she tells him he's the daddy). I think that's the only fair way to do it. Once the time limit has passed, they are both responsible for the decision they made.

Although my personal opinion is that a woman shouldn't be able to have an abortion without dad's consent (unless a crime was committed - ie rape) and dad should have first option of adoption. But... that's not the way it is...
__________________
Jaime





Reply With Quote
  #17  
January 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: G.R.I.T.S.~Girl Raised In The South
Posts: 10,125
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
condoms fail too. And then a man, who tried to do the right thing, is now being forced to go along with whatever the woman decides. The woman gets to chose HIS fate. And there are women who trick men into getting pregnant and then the man has no say after that.
Funny you mentioned that about condoms. I had typed that sentence then deleted it. Yes condoms do fail as well, but in that case the man can at least say that he ATTEMPTED to use bc instead of being uncertain about whether/not the woman used it at all or used it correctly. The rest of your post, I agree with you.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #18  
January 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jaime* View Post
I think that if a woman has the sole right to the decision of whether she will abort a baby, then he should have the option of signing away his rights during the same time frame. For example... if she has until her 16th week (I have no idea what the actual time frame is) to decide if SHE wants to have an abortion or keep the baby, then he should have until the 16th week to decided if he wants to be a dad or sign away his rights (or 16 weeks from the time she tells him he's the daddy). I think that's the only fair way to do it. Once the time limit has passed, they are both responsible for the decision they made.

Although my personal opinion is that a woman shouldn't be able to have an abortion without dad's consent (unless a crime was committed - ie rape) and dad should have first option of adoption. But... that's not the way it is...
But let's say this is a woman who would NEVER choose to have an abortion. They discussed it ahead of time, and he said the same which is the only reason she allowed the relationship to become sexual. Then she turns up pregnant, and now his tune has changed, and she's going to have to support a child she can't afford on her own. In this case, the man is essentially tricking the woman into having a child he's not going to support. And you know who suffers most? The child. This issue has WAY too many what ifs, and possibilities to be legislated. We just have to accept that EVERY TIME we have sex, we could end up pregnant, and IF that happens we should HAVE to be responsible for the child we created.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
January 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Green-Vegas South Carolina!
Posts: 4,805
You cannot make biology equal. Doesn't matter what you do. I want superior upper body strength and to pee standing up, but I am female. Doesn't mean I get to shave off a man's pectorals and paste them over mine.

In other words, taking the right of the child or the woman should not be an option. We have to play our biological hand the best we can.
__________________

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0