Did being pregnant....

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
....make you more or less sympathetic to women who choose to have abortions (than you were before you were ever pregnant)? Why?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Neither. Why would it have?

January 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When the nurse showed me the positive pregnancy test with my first, my initial thought was that I was going to get an abortion (I was young, unmarried, and scared to death). I was shocked at that thought because of my belief against abortion, yet at that moment I understood how girls/women feel with an unplanned pregnancy. So in that way I was more sympathetic. BUT the fact that I went on to have the baby and realized it can be done, that there is a world of women out there longing to adopt or who were willing to help me made me less sympathetic toward those who actually go through with an abortion.
January 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Neither. Why would it have?
She can correct me if I'm wrong, or I'll edit it.

But I think she means because you now know the final result and know what kind of feelings come along with pregnancy and the hardship of parenting and the love you have for the child.

I am sorry that any woman ever needs to have an abortion. But I do think it should be legal and won't ever retract that. I know that having a child of my own made me feel like I couldn't have an abortion of my own, because I know what it's like to feel the kicking and experience birth and all the fun afterwards and I wouldn't want to hold myself responsible for taking those things away from a child that I conceived.

But having a child doesn't change how I see other women who get them. Just changed that I wouldn't be able to get one.
January 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Lillian, you said what I was thinking but I couldn't think of a good way to phrase it. My own feelings about pregnancy obviously changed, but I desperately wanted to get pregnant and have a baby. That's obviously not going to be the case for someone considering an abortion, so I have no clue how my personal experience would change how I view women who are in that position.

January 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
My personal feelings are -

Being a mom is dang hard. It's not a job that should be entered into lightly. Reading articles about, how in some cases it is better to society as a whole for abortions to take place, encoupled with my experience as a mom... I have a lot more understanding as to why someone would get it done. I wouldn't, personally, have an abortion, but I understand why some women do.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
iMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Neither? Both? My pregnancy has my hormones so out of whack right now that half the time I don't even know what to think .

I do believe that a woman has a right to choose. Before I became pregnant I was pretty sure that I could never have an abortion if I did become pregnant, but knew that I would never know unless I was actually put in that position. After I was pregnant, this proved to be true -- abortion was not a realistic choice for me. The baby's father wanted me to abort, but there was no way that I could even consider bringing myself to terminate the pregnancy. I would not be able to live with myself if I had terminated the pregnancy.

My instant attachment to the baby made me wonder how a woman could ever choose the abortion option if she had consensual sex, so in that way maybe I was less sympathetic. That said, I feel more sympathetic in that, I know that for many women who do choose to go that route, the choice was likely an incredibly difficult and heartbreaking one to make.
January 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes.

Big time.

Before getting knocked up I used to think it was a bundle of cells that was a-ok to purge at anypoint before the beginning of the 3rd trimester.

While I still think that abortions should be legal because there is a need for them, I realized that they are not to be taken lightly, at all.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

January 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being pregnant hasnt changed me from being pro choice. I wouldn't hold it against a woman for having an abortion. Unless a woman uses it for birth control, that I cant stand.

January 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. It may have made it more unlikely for me personally to ever choose to have an abortion, but it didn't change my perspective on the legal right for all woman to have that choice in the first place.

January 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Alright, maybe I'm not as open-minded as I thought. I just caught Celebrity Rehab and Heidi Fleiss was joking about how many abortions she had. She finally said it was "around four." I definitely cringed and felt a little sick.

January 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jess, it probably wasn't the abortions themselves that bothered you, it was probably the super casual approach she sounded like she had in discussing it... "around four" makes it sound like it was such a minor issue that she couldn't really keep count.

January 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
aussiemummy
I didn't change my mind at all. I've always been 100% pro life.
January 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Christina A~ View Post
No. It may have made it more unlikely for me personally to ever choose to have an abortion, but it didn't change my perspective on the legal right for all woman to have that choice in the first place.
This for me too.

January 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflower View Post
She can correct me if I'm wrong, or I'll edit it.

But I think she means because you now know the final result and know what kind of feelings come along with pregnancy and the hardship of parenting and the love you have for the child.

I am sorry that any woman ever needs to have an abortion. But I do think it should be legal and won't ever retract that. I know that having a child of my own made me feel like I couldn't have an abortion of my own, because I know what it's like to feel the kicking and experience birth and all the fun afterwards and I wouldn't want to hold myself responsible for taking those things away from a child that I conceived.

But having a child doesn't change how I see other women who get them. Just changed that I wouldn't be able to get one.
Well, I wasn't automatically assuming that. I thought that some women might indicate that pregnancy made them feel like, I don't know, a host to a parasite or something (in which case they might be more sympathetic to women who choose to have abortions). I can say that FOR ME, pregnancy didn't make me feel much of anything other than nauseous for the first trimester or so. But after I felt Charlie move....that was it. He was a real person then. I do have a hard time understanding how any woman could choose to have an abortion after the point at which she feels the baby move. Of course, I've never lived life through another's skin, so who am I to judge? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
Well, I wasn't automatically assuming that. I thought that some women might indicate that pregnancy made them feel like, I don't know, a host to a parasite or something (in which case they might be more sympathetic to women who choose to have abortions).
I was pretty pro-choice before having dd. Dh and I had a very planned, much wanted baby. However, there were parts the pregnancy and birth I couldn't imagine forcing another woman to go through. I feel like I tolerated the bad parts because I longed for the good parts. So for me, I couldn't imagine forcing a woman to have to reframe her mindset.. *I* wanted to drink, have drugs in some awful parts of it.. how can we expect a woman to be kind to herself in an unwanted pregnancy for the sake of the baby when is already having issues dealing with things? At any rate, I think it did make me way more pro-choice.
January 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have always been Pro Choice.

January 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
irishxrose
I had the unplanned pregnancy that so many people, on both sides of the fence, use as an example.

I CHOSE to keep my child. Therefore, I am pro-CHOICE. Having an unplanned pregnancy at 17, and giving birth at 18, reinforced my beliefs. I can't tell anyone what to do with their body, and their reproductive organs. It goes against every part of my being, and I feel it is unethical to force women into one decision or another. Forcing a pregnancy, or an abortion, or an adoption on a woman is disgusting. The pro-life movement favors forcing women to go through pregnancy. I cannot get on board with that. I am not pro-abortion and I would never get one. I am pro-CHOICE, for women to have the right to have autonomy over their own bodies and be able to choose without being FORCED. Because that is what this issue comes down to, for me... force. No woman should ever feel forced into a decision, and that includes carrying a pregnancy she feels will destroy her. I chose to keep my child, another can choose to have an abortion, and that is her right and I will fight for that right until I die. What's the saying... you take away everyone else's rights, soon no one will be left to fight for yours? That's how I feel. Being that "Example" unplanned pregnancy just reinforced it. While I was able to handle motherhood at such a young age, there are many who can't. I could never force them to make the choice that I did... because then it wouldn't be a choice at all.

I rambled a bit, but I hope that makes sense.
January 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
I didn't change my mind at all. I've always been 100% pro life.
This.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search