Log In Sign Up

MEDICAID and abortions


Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
February 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
I was doing some research on the website of the insurance provider who provides my Medicaid insurance. This is not a debate on weather or not Medicaid is okay for any person to have, or a debate on the person/s that have to use Medicaid for medical coverage in their lives.

I was trying to research birth control options, because after this baby, I need a good, strong birth control. I refuse to be "sterlized" however. So the whole point of what I'm getting at is in reading with is NOT covered by this insurance, I ran accross this sentence:

Abortions except in the case of a reported rape, incest or when medically necessary to save the life of the mother.

So, only certain abortions are covered by Medicaid. What is your opinion on that, ladies?

After a few responses, I'll post my opinion.
__________________
мonιca
::мoммy тo::
ѕєвαѕттιαи 8.26.05
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
Reply With Quote
  #2  
February 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 5,888
Im not American, I dont pay for any medical except for prescriptions, but I think thats wrong. Unless its a case where a woman is clearly using abortion for birth control, I feel it should be covered.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
February 4th, 2010, 07:33 PM
lilflower
Guest
Posts: n/a
Medicaid does not cover abortion unless it is "therapeutic". If you have medicaid most abortion clinics give you a "discount" though.

I don't think abortion should be covered. Abortion is expensive and medicaid is not given out just because you are poor. It's for women, children, and low-income families. All of these include "living children". Because that is why they think you should be covered for free..because you can't take care of your children (unborn or not) if you are sick. It isn't just free insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
February 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Only a couple weeks late getting to this one, heh.

I don't see a problem with their coverage policy.. but I don't have a glaring problem with abortions in those circumstances. I believe it's a case by case basis, and not an automatic pass to abortion, but it wouldn't be morally wrong, in my opinion, to get one under the listed circumstances.

Medicaid only paying for 'good reason" abortions makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
February 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't think abortions should be covered by medicaid.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
February 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Wild and Wonderful
Posts: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I don't see a problem with their coverage policy.. but I don't have a glaring problem with abortions in those circumstances. I believe it's a case by case basis, and not an automatic pass to abortion, but it wouldn't be morally wrong, in my opinion, to get one under the listed circumstances.

Medicaid only paying for 'good reason" abortions makes sense to me.
I could not have said it better!
__________________
Me 26

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays


Reply With Quote
  #7  
February 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,121
I tend to agree with that policy...

I disagree with abortion as a means of birth control.

For example, 14 yr old getting raped by an uncle and becoming pregnant is, IMO, a reason for getting an abortion, WAY WAY different than a grown woman being careless, sleeping around and not using protection if she doesn't want to be pregnant just getting abortion after abortion etc....

**No I am not in any way including all women who may find themselves in an unwanted/unplanned for pregnancy, I do know there are accidents and not all birth control, other than abstinence, is 100% effective, I know this very well...**
Reply With Quote
  #8  
February 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think medicaid should provide abortions. Economically speaking this is the group who will have the hardest time financially providing for their family.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
February 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 40
Eh. Yes and no.

By not paying for abortions, Medicaid increases their own spending on prenatal care and pediatric care for those receiving Medicaid. Which then directly affects taxpayers.

But at the same time, out of pocket abortions really aren't that expensive. Ballpark is typically 200-300 dollars. If you can't afford that, you really can't afford to take care of another human life.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
February 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3atthisvolume View Post

But at the same time, out of pocket abortions really aren't that expensive. Ballpark is typically 200-300 dollars. If you can't afford that, you really can't afford to take care of another human life.
There are also private funding to help aid abortions in financial hardship.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
February 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3atthisvolume View Post
But at the same time, out of pocket abortions really aren't that expensive. Ballpark is typically 200-300 dollars. If you can't afford that, you really can't afford to take care of another human life.
Maybe it varies regionally, but in my area, it ranges from 450-650 and even higher if multiples or if further along than 1st trimester (which I really am against terminations past 1st trimester unless absolutely medically necessary)...
I agree..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
February 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueyez View Post
Maybe it varies regionally, but in my area, it ranges from 450-650 and even higher if multiples or if further along than 1st trimester (which I really am against terminations past 1st trimester unless absolutely medically necessary)...
I agree..
It may vary regionally...I've gathered that ballpark from WI, OH, NC, and FL. But if someone lived in an area with a higher cost of living, it would make sense that abortions in those areas would be more expensive as well. I've also seen that its increases in cost past the 1st trimester.

Quote:
In 2000, the cost of a nonhospital abortion with local anesthesia at ten weeks of gestation ranged from $150 to $4,000, and the average amount paid was $372.
Source: Abortion in the United States &mdash; Infoplease.com

I guess we were both right! I said 250, you said 450, the average is right in between!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
February 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
chlodoll
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I think medicaid should provide abortions. Economically speaking this is the group who will have the hardest time financially providing for their family.
Agreed.

I don't think an insurance company should be concerned with morals.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
February 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
Agreed.

I don't think an insurance company should be concerned with morals.
True if it was an insurance company that the particular person pays a premium for each month, I would completely agree with that.
BUT Medicaid is paid by taxpayers, not the individual that is receiving it.

Using my examle in my 1st post here...
I don't have a problem with the taxes I pay going towards helping a 14 yr rape victim getting a termination. I would however have a problem with the taxes I pay going towards helping some woman who sleeps around & doesn't use protection "fix" her little "problem" every few months or so. I know not every person that gets one is in one of those 2 categories, But if medicaid coverage for that is available to everyone, then I think the majority of them would be in the latter example...

If, for example, some woman that fits the description of the 2nd of my example, knows she can just go get medicaid so easily to "take care of the problem" What's going to stop her? What's going to make her change? Nothing....
But if that same woman knows she's going to have to cough up oh say $450 each time, maybe she will stop and think hey, a pack of condoms is only what? 10-15 bucks, or better yet BC is $30 a month or sometimes even free from the health dept...... If that woman is willingly putting herself in that position and knows the risks then she should willingly pay that $. A rape victim is not willingly putting herself in that position....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
February 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueyez View Post
True if it was an insurance company that the particular person pays a premium for each month, I would completely agree with that.
BUT Medicaid is paid by taxpayers, not the individual that is receiving it.

Using my examle in my 1st post here...
I don't have a problem with the taxes I pay going towards helping a 14 yr rape victim getting a termination. I would however have a problem with the taxes I pay going towards helping some woman who sleeps around & doesn't use protection "fix" her little "problem" every few months or so. I know not every person that gets one is in one of those 2 categories, But if medicaid coverage for that is available to everyone, then I think the majority of them would be in the latter example...

If, for example, some woman that fits the description of the 2nd of my example, knows she can just go get medicaid so easily to "take care of the problem" What's going to stop her? What's going to make her change? Nothing....
But if that same woman knows she's going to have to cough up oh say $450 each time, maybe she will stop and think hey, a pack of condoms is only what? 10-15 bucks, or better yet BC is $30 a month or sometimes even free from the health dept...... If that woman is willingly putting herself in that position and knows the risks then she should willingly pay that $. A rape victim is not willingly putting herself in that position....
Your example isn't realistic. Those types of women are VERY rare and it is just an emotional argument to make people feel morally superior. It's a crock.

Frankly, any taxpayer should be going for the cheaper option if they are concerned about their tax money and how much - and that's abortion. Abortions are more economically feasible than forcing a woman to give birth (and forcing a woman to give birth to fit YOUR standards is more morally despicable than an abortion). Now you have this woman and her kid on medicaid for years, most likely considering the risk group to be in a horrid home, exposed to abuse and neglect, go hungry, and have pretty much one of the worst lives you can think of - instead of $400 one time and another child isn't screwed up and abused. Contrary to what some women feel, not everyone can be mothers, or good ones. A lot of these women KNOW this. Let them have the autonomy over their own body that we all enjoy. Denying them access to reproductive rights is asking for a lot of problems, particularly that more kids are thus born in horrible homes and we have more screwed up kids than we have resources to care for. That's reality.

Medicaid should cover abortions. It would save the government, and taxpayers, a lot of money AND problems in the future.

Last edited by irishxrose; February 28th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
March 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
I agree with it. In other circumstances, abortions are ELECTIVE procedures, and often not covered.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
March 2nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
Your example isn't realistic. Those types of women are VERY rare and it is just an emotional argument to make people feel morally superior. It's a crock.

Frankly, any taxpayer should be going for the cheaper option if they are concerned about their tax money and how much - and that's abortion. Abortions are more economically feasible than forcing a woman to give birth (and forcing a woman to give birth to fit YOUR standards is more morally despicable than an abortion). Now you have this woman and her kid on medicaid for years, most likely considering the risk group to be in a horrid home, exposed to abuse and neglect, go hungry, and have pretty much one of the worst lives you can think of - instead of $400 one time and another child isn't screwed up and abused. Contrary to what some women feel, not everyone can be mothers, or good ones. A lot of these women KNOW this. Let them have the autonomy over their own body that we all enjoy. Denying them access to reproductive rights is asking for a lot of problems, particularly that more kids are thus born in horrible homes and we have more screwed up kids than we have resources to care for. That's reality.

Medicaid should cover abortions. It would save the government, and taxpayers, a lot of money AND problems in the future.
1. This was the original debate question:

"So the whole point of what I'm getting at is in reading with is NOT covered by this insurance, I ran accross this sentence:
Abortions except in the case of a reported rape, incest or when medically necessary to save the life of the mother.
So, only certain abortions are covered by Medicaid. What is your opinion on that, ladies?"

If you read my posts, I simply gave my opinion on that... And I stand by that, NO I do not think they should becovered except in the case of a reported rape, incest or when medically necessary to save the life of the mother.

2. This is a debate, not an attack. I never attacked anyone for having a different opinion than mine.... How is my example not realistic? Are there not those types of cases out there? Do you have the statistics to prove that those types of women are in fact so VERY RARE? And which woman are you referring to, The 14 yr old rape victim or the woman that sleeps around and has numerous abortions? And if you will see my OP, you will see where I noted that I was not talking about ALL women that had abortions. In my post that you quoted I never said that the majority of women getting abortions were in fact the woman sleeping around, I just said
Quote:
But if medicaid coverage for that is available to everyone, then I think the majority of them would be in the latter example...
I never stated that as fact, I stated it as an opinion, MINE.

3.
Quote:
and forcing a woman to give birth to fit YOUR standards is more morally despicable than an abortion...
What are you talking about?? Where in the he** did I say anything about forcing a woman to give birth??? Just because a woman doesn't have Medicaid coverage for an abortion, that isn't forcing her to give birth....
And to fit MY standards??? This has nothing to do with MY standards.. Please don't call my standards into question, you don't know them or me. Same as I am not calling anyone else's standards into question.....
I am simply stating my opinion on the particular topic up for debate.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
March 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
When it comes to my tax money, I ask myself this:

Option a) $600 abortion...

Option b) OBGYN care for ten months, $4,000-$8,000 birth followed by one year of infant medical coverage.

Gee, tough choice that one is.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
March 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlodoll View Post
Agreed.

I don't think an insurance company should be concerned with morals.
I'm glad abortions are 100% covered here without someone's decision on whether or not it should be funded.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
March 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,225
One can take the morality question out of the debate completely, and the other abortions would STILL be left uncovered, as abortions for other reasons are ELECTIVE procedures. As in not medically necessary, which often are not covered by insurance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0