Pro-life gone too far?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiex2 View Post
I don't agree with forcing the public to look at those images during the day. Would they allow that sort of imagery on television on Saturday morning during cartoons? No. So, why have it on the side of a truck?
I don't agree that the public is forced to look at it. Just like with anything else, look away. I do not agree with them having it on the side of a truck in the first places, but since it IS there, you have a choice to look or not. If I see something unpleasing or gross, I choose not to look at it anymore. And if I saw it before my child, I would tell her not to look that way until we pass the truck.

July 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
I don't agree that the public is forced to look at it. Just like with anything else, look away. I do not agree with them having it on the side of a truck in the first places, but since it IS there, you have a choice to look or not. If I see something unpleasing or gross, I choose not to look at it anymore. And if I saw it before my child, I would tell her not to look that way until we pass the truck.
Would you say the same thing if it were an ad on a tv show your child was watching or would your write the tv station? If faced with the images at the moment, I would agree with you and though I am not a huge supporter of censorship, I think this is a good case for it.

July 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrs View Post
Would you say the same thing if it were an ad on a tv show your child was watching or would your write the tv station? If faced with the images at the moment, I would agree with you and though I am not a huge supporter of censorship, I think this is a good case for it.
There's all kinds of commercials and ads I don't like (or ones I find inappropriate) though. I'm not going to spend my time writing every station that has inappropriate commercials. We don't watch TV here anyways. We watch our TV shows on the computer (yay for Hulu!). The TV is for movies/video games. We will probably get cable though in the near future, and when that happens, I'm going to censor her TV. If a commercial was on that I didn't feel like she needed to see, the TV can go off or the channel can be changed. Or, I can pop in a DVD instead, commercial free-entertainment.

July 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM
TheMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
There's all kinds of commercials and ads I don't like (or ones I find inappropriate) though. I'm not going to spend my time writing every station that has inappropriate commercials. We don't watch TV here anyways. We watch our TV shows on the computer (yay for Hulu!). The TV is for movies/video games. We will probably get cable though in the near future, and when that happens, I'm going to censor her TV. If a commercial was on that I didn't feel like she needed to see, the TV can go off or the channel can be changed. Or, I can pop in a DVD instead, commercial free-entertainment.
Regardless of your practices, its not something you think is appropriate for your child to see...correct? So why sit back and allow it to happen? Obviously you can control the TV, you (people as a group) can also control what is shown on billboards or in this case a truck.

February 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that there are places that are more appropriate for those kinds of signs. We had a pro-life group visit our college campus once and i found the pictures disturbing, but it was showing the truth to a demographic likely to have an abortion.
I think that sex education classes would be a great place to introduce the topic, as long as it was the truth and not the whole its only a blob of cells thing.

Where is your source that these photos are of micarried babies instead of aborted ones?

I have always believed that life begins at conception, so abortion to me is murder. I know that others dont' see it that way, but it is how i believe and how I approach it. I however, try to take a more logical approach rather than a brutally graphic one first. I think those pics have their place, but a truck randomly going thru town is not the place for that since there is no control over who may view it. I think that internet sites, special classes and rallies are ok, because then people know to expect it. I'm sorry your child saw it, I hope he/she is ok.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
March 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
Ya not something id want to be looking at, but i agree with torrie all they really proved is that its gross
I guess we can show naked strippers legs spread in public too because it is just natural. No sexual act, just legs spread with a funky slogan like "Peek-a-boo" Natural female body exposed. Or male too for that matter.

Or a dead mangled body with a MADD slogan...

I can go on and on.

There is a certain responsibility in public print advertising to follow a moral code appropriateness for all ages.

As for radio or TV commercials, you have a choice to change the channel, and take control to protection children from viewing inappropriate material. That is where the difference lies. Truck signs, billboards, etc, you have no real choice in viewing it.
June 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerblue View Post
I agree that those pics are horrendous. But they are examples of free speech. I just try to avoid planned parenthood on my errands, just in case the kids see that kind of thing. I guess if we ever did, and mine were still little, I would have to make something up. I mean, how could you explain that to a 3 or 4 year old! I think those pics are lies anyway.
Oh puhleeez.. there are limits to free speech and rightly so. uggh
This kind of disgusting imagery should not be allowed in public. It can traumatize children. I guess you're ok with your children seeing that?

Quote:
There's no easier way to get a child to look at something than to tell them not to look!
And you don't really have a choice whether to see it or not. It's not as if they warn you - you either see it or not.

Baby girl born Feb 2013

January 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really don't think it matters much whether the pictures are of aborted babies or micarriages/stillbirths. I think the point is to show people that it was a BABY, not just a ball of cells.

10 weeks

January 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Keepin' it real!
I don't believe in censorship but I do believe in standards---sensitivity to others. As a person who has lost both my own child and someone else's child during pregnancies, I feel like I don't ever want to see what that looks like on a billboard. I get that pro-lifers want to make a point, but there are other more tactful ways to do it. That said? I just don't look

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search