Log In Sign Up

Your Stance


Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Pro-Choice or Pro-Life?
Pro-Choice 92 51.11%
Pro-Life 77 42.78%
Other (please explain) 11 6.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #81  
June 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
prantastic4
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
So, are you perpetually trying to conceive a child? Or are you just celibate when you're not wanting a pregnancy right then? And, if you're already pregnant, can you have sex? Because you don't want ANOTHER baby..
Are you asking this in a general term, or me personally?

Everyone knows that if you have sex, there is a chance that you will get pregnant. No matter what precautions are taken, the chance is always there. If you don't want a child, then do not have sex. That is what sex is for. Creating new life.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
June 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by prantastic4 View Post
Are you asking this in a general term, or me personally?

Everyone knows that if you have sex, there is a chance that you will get pregnant. No matter what precautions are taken, the chance is always there. If you don't want a child, then do not have sex. That is what sex is for. Creating new life.
Sex might be for creating a life, but the vast majority of couples do not have sex every night with the intention to create a new life. There might be a time period where they are purposefully having sex to create a life but for the greater majority, sex happens because it feels good, it's a connection with your partner, you like it, the list goes on.

If sex was purely for having a child and does not need to happen unless you want a child, well the memo needs to get out to the rest of the world. Because I can guarantee most people who had sex tonight, last night, or any other night did not do it with the intentions to have a child.

To further that, I guess the only time we should have sex is when we want a baby. So ya know, once that test comes up positive you have to stop having sex because you already accomplished the "purpose" of creating life.

Last edited by Mom2Froggy; June 19th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
June 19th, 2010, 11:38 PM
prantastic4
Guest
Posts: n/a
I see your point. But, I'm still pro-life, and believe that. I continually have intercourse because I love children, and welcome any child that comes. Not that everyone does that, or that is right for them. That is just what I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
June 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
prantastic4
Guest
Posts: n/a
When there comes a time, or shall I say if there comes a time that I don't want to have children, I suppose I will use some form of protection. Whether that be the pill, or patch, or natural family planning (I'm sure there are tons of options). But even if it comes up that I become pregnant, I will carry out the pregnancy, because I think that pregnancy happened for a reason. I was "responsible" enough to have intercourse, and created this life, so I will carry out this pregnancy, and welcome this child.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
June 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,329
I don't see how my view is ignorant. Just because you don't agree with me, there's no need to say I'm ignorant. It is what it is.
__________________
Nothing is better than being with your family. Finally reunited after 5 long months <3
Reply With Quote
  #86  
June 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by prantastic4 View Post
When there comes a time, or shall I say if there comes a time that I don't want to have children, I suppose I will use some form of protection. Whether that be the pill, or patch, or natural family planning (I'm sure there are tons of options). But even if it comes up that I become pregnant, I will carry out the pregnancy, because I think that pregnancy happened for a reason. I was "responsible" enough to have intercourse, and created this life, so I will carry out this pregnancy, and welcome this child.
Does this equate to every circumstance? What if you find out at 12 weeks that you're very likely to die in childbirth or during the pregnancy? Would you still have that baby, and leave all your children behind with no mother?

It's a harsh question, and it's mostly hypothetical. The point I'm trying to make is that the issue isn't black and white. It's not always about owning up to your responsibilities, but there are typically other factors to consider. I am pro-life as well, but at the same time I can recognize that some situations warrant the choice still be there. I disagree with abortion as a form of birth control, which is what you're talking about. However, if a woman is raped, or if pregnancy or birth could kill her, or if the baby she's carrying is destined to be tortured by some disease or condition for the duration of it's life, then I'm more open to the option for them.

As pro-life as I am, if there was a high chance that carrying or birthing a baby would kill me (please note I said "high chance" because I realize that every pregnancy/birth has that risk to some extent) then I can't honestly say what I would do. But I know I would never abort my child because I didn't plan to create it.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
June 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,329
I hate the question - would you get an abortion or leave your other children motherless? How do you know you would die giving birth? There is always that chance that you'll survive. And the baby inside of me would be just as important as my other children.
__________________
Nothing is better than being with your family. Finally reunited after 5 long months <3
Reply With Quote
  #88  
June 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Of course it would be.. which is why it's such a hard question. I don't think anyone can possibly know what they would do in that situation until they are faced with it. The point of asking it is to bring the light the fact that some women would choice abortion, probably for the sake of their other children, and some women would not. But either way, it's an impossible decision to make, and therefore how can we possibly judge someone harshly for choosing either way? Either you took a chance that your kids no have no mother, or you "killed your child." It sucks either way.

Again.. it's not black and white. That's the point of posing that question, even though there really is no answer. It's a lot like saying 'which kids would you save if you could only pick one?' There's no answer, but no one would judge a mother for only being able to save one, so why do we judge them for choosing abortion in the above situation?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
June 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,329
Although I haven't been in that position, I truly doubt I'd ever abort. I guess I'd leave my other children motherless. I just don't have it in me to have an abortion. The whole thing makes me go *sigh*. Really sad topic.
__________________
Nothing is better than being with your family. Finally reunited after 5 long months <3
Reply With Quote
  #90  
June 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
prantastic4
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Does this equate to every circumstance? What if you find out at 12 weeks that you're very likely to die in childbirth or during the pregnancy? Would you still have that baby, and leave all your children behind with no mother?

It's a harsh question, and it's mostly hypothetical. The point I'm trying to make is that the issue isn't black and white. It's not always about owning up to your responsibilities, but there are typically other factors to consider. I am pro-life as well, but at the same time I can recognize that some situations warrant the choice still be there. I disagree with abortion as a form of birth control, which is what you're talking about. However, if a woman is raped, or if pregnancy or birth could kill her, or if the baby she's carrying is destined to be tortured by some disease or condition for the duration of it's life, then I'm more open to the option for them.

As pro-life as I am, if there was a high chance that carrying or birthing a baby would kill me (please note I said "high chance" because I realize that every pregnancy/birth has that risk to some extent) then I can't honestly say what I would do. But I know I would never abort my child because I didn't plan to create it.
No, definitely NOT every circumstance. If the life of the mother is at risk, or if you must terminate for medical reasons, I find that to be VERY different, and a very sad desicion to have to make. These are women that would've kept their children if the circumstances were different. I strongly agree with the bolded. Strongly.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
June 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dayna~ View Post
Although I haven't been in that position, I truly doubt I'd ever abort. I guess I'd leave my other children motherless. I just don't have it in me to have an abortion. The whole thing makes me go *sigh*. Really sad topic.
Then the question becomes whether or not someone who DID choose abortion is still a murderer in your eyes (given that abortion is murder).

That wasn't snarky, but a legitimate sentence. I think it could easily be read wrong, and I don't want it to be. I'm not attacking your position, just trying to get a clearer understanding of where the lines are drawn, if there are any.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
June 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,329
I can't help but feel that yes, it is murder.

I don't see how there's another way around it. You can say I'm ignorant like Michelles snarky arse said, but that is my position.

I don't agree with abortion period. It IS murder. You have a living thing inside of you, and it gets...killed. Terminated is just another word for murder.

And go...rip me apart.
__________________
Nothing is better than being with your family. Finally reunited after 5 long months <3
Reply With Quote
  #93  
June 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
prantastic4
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dayna~ View Post
I can't help but feel that yes, it is murder.

I don't see how there's another way around it. You can say I'm ignorant like Michelles snarky arse said, but that is my position.

I don't agree with abortion period. It IS murder. You have a living thing inside of you, and it gets...killed. Terminated is just another word for murder.

And go...rip me apart.
I don't think anyone is here to rip you apart. I don't think being pro-life is a stance of ignorance. I'm sure most pro-lifers find pro-choice to be a stance of ignorance. It's just the way having 2 different opinions works. They aren't personally attacking you.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
June 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
nah, I'm not gonna rip you apart. Though I will point out that, in terms of legal murder (which abortion isn't), there is a clause in place for self defense. If someone is going to kill you, or you have a reasonable belief that they pose an immediate threat to your life, it is NOT murder to kill them. This is probably why I feel like a mother choosing abortion to save herself isn't really murder.. it's more like self defense. Self defense against an unborn child sounds kind of silly in words, but if you look at it as a "me or him" situation, then it fits.

I guess I'm trying to say that killing is not always murder.. though I do hesitate to use the emotionally charged language that's in that sentence. I view abortion as the taking of a human life. The only difference between me and you is that sometimes I think taking a life is justified.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
June 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Does this equate to every circumstance? What if you find out at 12 weeks that you're very likely to die in childbirth or during the pregnancy? Would you still have that baby, and leave all your children behind with no mother?

.
Kes, I understand that your question is hypothetical but I have one to offer in return - if someone had a gun pointed at your head and said "kill your child or I will kill you and your child" would you do it? if you didn't your child would die anyway, so would you AND your other children would be left behind motherless.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
June 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,329
I never really looked at it as 'self defense' and probably wouldn't have agreed with you earlier but I can definitely see that.

I've had friends who have had abortions yet I don't say anything to them. They know I'm pro life and that's it. Not my choice. The women in this country are allowed a choice.

ETA : the only time I see taking a life when it's someone on death row.
__________________
Nothing is better than being with your family. Finally reunited after 5 long months <3
Reply With Quote
  #97  
June 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
Kes, I understand that your question is hypothetical but I have one to offer in return - if someone had a gun pointed at your head and said "kill your child or I will kill you and your child" would you do it? if you didn't your child would die anyway, so would you AND your other children would be left behind motherless.
It's an impossible decision. I was not suggesting a mother should or shouldn't choose either choice in the "you or your child" situation. I was merely making the point that I can't imagine judging a mother for choosing either option. I can't imagine judging a man for choosing his wife over his child or vice versa. I couldn't judge a mother for choosing to grab child 1 off the train tracks and losing child 2, or choosing child 2 and losing child 1. And I have no idea what *I* would do in any of those situations.. I just know that I wouldn't judge a parent's choice either way, and that I feel all those options are justified and valid.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
June 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
It's an impossible decision. I was not suggesting a mother should or shouldn't choose either choice in the "you or your child" situation. I was merely making the point that I can't imagine judging a mother for choosing either option. I can't imagine judging a man for choosing his wife over his child or vice versa. I couldn't judge a mother for choosing to grab child 1 off the train tracks and losing child 2, or choosing child 2 and losing child 1. And I have no idea what *I* would do in any of those situations.. I just know that I wouldn't judge a parent's choice either way, and that I feel all those options are justified and valid.

Really? I dont think it is an impossible decision, most of society doesn't and the law doesn't either. You could certainly be charged if you killed your child in the situation I gave.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
June 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
*shrug* I gave you my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
June 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dayna~ View Post
I can't help but feel that yes, it is murder.

I don't see how there's another way around it. You can say I'm ignorant like Michelles snarky arse said, but that is my position.

I don't agree with abortion period. It IS murder. You have a living thing inside of you, and it gets...killed. Terminated is just another word for murder.

And go...rip me apart.
It wasn't meant to be snarky, just a response that's equally not backed up. Plus, I didn't call YOU ignorant, I called the position to see abortion as murder to ignorant. I don't think I'm wrong to believe that because abortion means many things, murder means many things and ignorant means many things. For example, is God a murder for making miscarriage happen then? Is OB/GYN's murderers because they perform the so-called murder?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0