U of Calgary students warned over anti-abortion display

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I was reading about this in the Christian newsletter at my chiro's office and was wondering your thoughts?

Quote:
Mon May 10 2010
Letters of warning have been issued to several members of an anti-abortion group for a display they put on at the University of Calgary last month.

Eight students who are members of Campus Pro-Life have been found guilty of non-academic misconduct following closed-door meetings with a university official.

The university says the students, who had been facing expulsion, failed to comply with security requests and could face harsher penalties in the future if they don't comply with regulations.

The U of C has said the issue does not surround the students' opinions, but their failure to comply with requests to ensure the safety of students.

Alanna Campbell, president of the group, denies passers-by were harassed and says members simply tried to engage people by asking what they think about abortion.

The display marked the ninth time in four years the students demonstrated as part of what they call the Genocide Awareness Project, which compares abortion to atrocities such as the Rwandan genocide and the Holocaust.
U of Calgary students warned over anti-abortion display - thestar.com

University of Calgary Campus Prolife Group Threatened with Academic Censure - Van Maren Traditionalist Views

This one actually has a picture: CBC News - Edmonton - U of C may expel anti-abortion protesters

Abortion debate flares on Calgary campus

Your thoughts?
May 29th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don`t agree with the kids being expelled or disciplined for this (it`s a protest) the funny thing is that because of the unversity stance towards these students their sign is getting more publicity then ever.
May 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Well, it's a college campus. They make the rules. If you want to run a protest on a college campus, then you need to FOLLOW the rules or risk the consequences.. just like anything else you want to do at a college campus. They ignored the rules, and are being punished. Whoop de doo, what did they expect?

If you're wanting our opinion of the college's rule to turn their posters inward.. I'm torn. One side of me says that if they aren't hurting anyone they should be able to protest, and the other side of me says that those pictures could potentially cause psychological damage to students, visitors, or faculty. Not just those who've had abortions, or miscarriages, or still borns, but anyone who has personal experience / history with the holocaust or the civil rights movements in the 60s.

So the school is torn between allowing a peaceful protest in which the protesters accost people walking by and pepper them with questions while directing their visual attention to disturbing imagery.. and protecting the mental and emotional health of everyone who walks on that campus.

Also I think their campaign is offensive and ludicrous.
May 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto Kes, I don't think I could have said it any better....

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

May 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wonder if that is the same group that came to my campus. Last semester I walked onto campus to see giant... I mean HUGE billboards all across the campus of aborted fetuses. People were carrying signs and telling people to save the rights of babies. Granted, it was a peaceful protest, it was crude, but they didn't seem to harass anyone, but the pictures alone were enough to make me sick and ticked off. I almost didn't go to class because that crap was right out my classroom window. Yes, I've had an abortion, and I DID NOT need to see that crap and have people make me out to be a villain not knowing my past, my motives, nothing. I think you should stand for what you believe, however, protests like that hurt people and there is no way to escape 2 story tall pictures of abortions, ya know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search